Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM

36 posts, read 192,561 times

Advertisements

First of all I want to say hi to everyone since I'm new to the forum and this is my first post here.

Anyway, I found it interesting that the real estate market seemed to slow down about 2004 or so in Chicago and I was wondering why, when the rest of the nation for the most part, kept going for a couple more years?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
It absolutely did not. Prices rose like crazy into the end of 2005, and didn't start to soften until early 2006. We bought a place in April of 2005 and saw two similar places in our building sell for $40,000 more just six months later.

Of course, this is the city market, and the inner burbs were about the same. I can't speak for the ex-urbs, since I'm less familiar with the market out there.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 AM

774 posts, read 2,497,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It absolutely did not. Prices rose like crazy into the end of 2005, and didn't start to soften until early 2006. We bought a place in April of 2005 and saw two similar places in our building sell for $40,000 more just six months later.

Of course, this is the city market, and the inner burbs were about the same. I can't speak for the ex-urbs, since I'm less familiar with the market out there.
I'd agree with this - the real estate slowdown here tracked closely with the rest of the nation. If anything, the Chicago area slowdown came a bit after the slowdowns in places such as Florida, California and Nevada.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM

Well, I don't know why I had that notion... Could it have been just condos? Or maybe even higher priced condos? For some reason, I thought that Chicago had an oversupply of inventory right around 2005...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinandriver View Post
Well, I don't know why I had that notion... Could it have been just condos? Or maybe even higher priced condos? For some reason, I thought that Chicago had an oversupply of inventory right around 2005...
It's possible that there was an oversupply due to overbuilding, but the slowdown in terms of sales numbers and home prices didn't hit us until 2006--and even since then, it hasn't been a huge drop like has been seen in formerly hot markets like Las Vegas, Miami, and the Bay Area. 2006 was sort of a leveling out of the market, and any drop occured in 2007. I saw yesterday on NBC 5 that the year-over-year price drop in Chicago was only about 2%. That's not going to send anyone into a panic any time soon. But I do expect a bigger price drop to show up in the data for the coming year. It's anyone's guess at this point. Usually by the time an economic trend is recognized conditions have already changed due to the delay in data reporting and analysis.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM

That's good news. Thanks for clearing up the issue for me!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinandriver View Post
The Chicago condo market is set to reach an all time high delivery number in 2008. The 2nd all time high was last year, the 3rd all time high was the year before.

There is a growing inventory though, but the market here definitely was booming in 2004; all the way up until this past year when it started to cool down.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The Chicago condo market is set to reach an all time high delivery number in 2008. The 2nd all time high was last year, the 3rd all time high was the year before.

There is a growing inventory though, but the market here definitely was booming in 2004; all the way up until this past year when it started to cool down.
I'm kind of scared of this... I know most of the pent up inventory is downtown, but if there is a firesale it would have a ripple effect through the neighborhoods.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm kind of scared of this... I know most of the pent up inventory is downtown, but if there is a firesale it would have a ripple effect through the neighborhoods.
I cant wait. I am going to jump on it. It is all timing...

Old 02-27-2008, 09:59 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,873,399 times
Avengerfire,

We may be shopping for a condo at the same time. I am looking get another apartment building, probably in logan square or westtown, but am also looking at buying a condo in a more gentrified area.

I hold a better opinion of my part of humboldt park (north of grand and east of pulaski) but still consider it the hood. I am looking to get a new car but have waited as they seem to leave my 7 year old car alone and I don't need the headache if the neighbors do something to a fancy new car.

We should definitely compare notes as we both look at condos for firesale prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago