Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times

Advertisements

On page 4 of today's Chicago Tribune there is an article stating that the $20 million dollars set aside for residents to claim a rebate on their property taxes has a $19 million dollar surplus because residents didn't apply for it. So Tiny Dancer is taking $1 million of it to use as a defense fund for illegals that are in the process of deportation. Apparently the city has extra money to throw away. I must have missed the story about all the cities debt being paid up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
On page 4 of today's Chicago Tribune there is an article stating that the $20 million dollars set aside for residents to claim a rebate on their property taxes has a $19 million dollar surplus because residents didn't apply for it. So Tiny Dancer is taking $1 million of it to use as a defense fund for illegals that are in the process of deportation. Apparently the city has extra money to throw away. I must have missed the story about all the cities debt being paid up.

Ok with me. $1 million is nothing. It's symbolic.

Btw - many of us women think male dancers are amazing. Have you seen their bodies?!?! A bit juvenile of you, don't you think?

Old 12-03-2016, 09:38 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
So Tiny Dancer
In case anyone didn't know who Tiny Dancer is, Rahm did study ballet in college.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Btw - many of us women think male dancers are amazing. Have you seen their bodies?!?! A bit juvenile of you, don't you think?
I agree.

When they have bodies like this:

Moderator cut: images removed

Last edited by Marka; 12-11-2016 at 11:24 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 10:04 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I guess I hit too close to home with you two.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:13 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
lol at "Tiny Dancer". Yeah, Rahm is a real piece of work. A liberal con man BS artist just like his mentor, Obama.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 AM

People like Rahm know how to hack their way through life.

There's plenty of people with no formal education or certificates are able to be successful, through networking, connections, etc.

Rahm has a b.s. in general studies (or liberal arts) and then a master's degree in speech/communication.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I do not understand the hatred for Rahm.

Which is not to say that I think he's perfect, or even that I would vote for him. But sweet jesus, considering the politicians we've had?

Edited to add:

I pay property taxes to the city. I pay a lot in property taxes. I don't care that he spent money this way.

This feels more like what I actually want my taxes to pay for.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I do not understand the hatred for Rahm.

Which is not to say that I think he's perfect, or even that I would vote for him. But sweet jesus, considering the politicians we've had?

Edited to add:

I pay property taxes to the city. I pay a lot in property taxes. I don't care that he spent money this way.

This feels more like what I actually want my taxes to pay for.

A lot of the hatred stems from being either the far left or tea partiers. Rahm is by far the best candidate we have had for Mayor in the last two elections.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default The issue really highlights the divide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A lot of the hatred stems from being either the far left or tea partiers. Rahm is by far the best candidate we have had for Mayor in the last two elections.
I know many traditional "old school Chicago" type people that hate Rahm. I am talking fire fighters, cops, pipefitters, and similar "working people". The hatred stems from the disrespect Rahm shows to these traditional sources of votes for candidates that carried the Democrat badge. The lack of transparency that Daley mastered in decisions regarding closing Meigs Field, cutting deals to sell of the Skyway, or outsource parking meters are now being used to actively defend the people that old-school types see as a threat to their livelihood. That this is being funded from money that was supposedly earmarked to help to take the sting out of increased property taxes is EXACTLY the kind of slap in the face that deepens the divide between traditional Chicago style working people and the Washington elite that align themselves with politicians whose tin-ears are deaf to the shouts for reform.

Rahm may be a masterful deal maker that deserves every penny of the millions he made bringing in fat deals for Wasserella but he is worse than even Hillary Clinton when it comes to finding any authentic common interests with working people who were the backbone of Chicago.

The funny thing is, when it comes the miserable fiscal state of Chicago, CPS and even Illinois, the skills /connections that Rahm (and for that matter Rauner...) have in sweet talking the bond buyers into continuing to gobble up debt (albeit at disgusting premiums due to the honest assessments of the rating agencies) is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. One might even say that those buyers are more than happy to have the Elizabeth Warren-type law makers shake their fist and require the bond rating firms drive up yields to fatten their bottom line while their "pal" Rahm continues keep the wheels spinning on the charade that has become Chicago's budget. WHEN (not if) the periodic interest payments are 100% of the city budget and gang bangers are blasting away at each other over the whole length of the Ike, Rahm and Bruce will be far away on some private island together and we'll be stuck in three hours of traffic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago