Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:29 PM

28 posts, read 21,377 times

Advertisements

Neighborhood like Auburn Gresham is it work investing and leasing a a rate of $500 a month.. Or in Chicago Heights, any thoughts i would appreciate it im from Texas looking something to put my money to work in perhaps pay my rent where i live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:34 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Go for it, great deal.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
What exactly do you propose?

Do you have any experience being a landlord with local properties? Do you understand the challenges of collecting rent and maintaining a property even when you can personally visit a low income tenant face-to-face? Do you understand that many homes in Chicago Heights have ANNUAL property taxes that are about 10% of the value of the home? Do you know that no lender would finance such a small mortgage; do you really want to risk $30k in an area that is unlikely to do other than decline for the foreseeable future? The difficulties when trying to use a remote property management firm in a lower cost situation would very likely make this a losing proposition.

I'd strongly suggest that you consider areas closer to where you live, surely there must be low priced properties in Texas...

Old 12-27-2016, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 21,377 times
My thoughts were to have it listed in the MLS i think they quoted $250 one time fee and its a year to get it listed or hire a management company. I don't have any experience. But i would like to put my money to work and earn me something. I saw the taxes in Chicago heights were quite high i think i saw one for $2,200 that's $183 a month if i divide it by 12 months. Of coarse something with low taxes. I know Indiana has way lower taxes. Here in Texas homes cost a lot. So when i saw this in the Midwest cities i was very surprised. I know that no lender would finance a small loan so i was thinking of cash purchase. I made a mistake once an bought a home and got spooked so i sold it almost a month later without doing anything to it. it was almost move in condition. i bought it for 18k and sold it for a small loss. I regret it. I'm not sure if i'm able to post a link from realtor, here maybe you can help me with an input to see if its a good purchase.

thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 05:51 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBoxer31 View Post
My thoughts were to have it listed in the MLS i think they quoted $250 one time fee and its a year to get it listed or hire a management company. I don't have any experience. But i would like to put my money to work and earn me something. I saw the taxes in Chicago heights were quite high i think i saw one for $2,200 that's $183 a month if i divide it by 12 months. Of coarse something with low taxes. I know Indiana has way lower taxes. Here in Texas homes cost a lot. So when i saw this in the Midwest cities i was very surprised. I know that no lender would finance a small loan so i was thinking of cash purchase. I made a mistake once an bought a home and got spooked so i sold it almost a month later without doing anything to it. it was almost move in condition. i bought it for 18k and sold it for a small loss. I regret it. I'm not sure if i'm able to post a link from realtor, here maybe you can help me with an input to see if its a good purchase.

thanks

MOST of Illinois taxes are high! And why would you buy in Chicago Heights? Are you familiar with the area at all? Chicago Heights is NOT a good area. That's why the houses are so cheap. Indiana has property taxes capped at 1% of the assessed value. You could find lot's of homes under $50k that would yield you a higher profit because of the taxes. Look in area's like Merrillville, Griffith, Highland, Hobart and Gary.

Last edited by CGab; 12-27-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 05:44 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
STUPID idea to try to manage a rental from a distance. But Chet, you're wrong about the mortgage. I work in the mortgage division of a mid-sized bank and we do small loans like that. I'm sure the bank doesn't make any money on those loans, but I think it may be required as part of our fair lending guidelines. I think we do mortgage loans as small as $20,000.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Do you know that no lender would finance such a small mortgage;
???

Knitgirl beat me to it.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:15 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I think you have to put 20% down though if the property is not going to be your primary home such as for a rental????

Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Owner occupied???

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
STUPID idea to try to manage a rental from a distance. But Chet, you're wrong about the mortgage. I work in the mortgage division of a mid-sized bank and we do small loans like that. I'm sure the bank doesn't make any money on those loans, but I think it may be required as part of our fair lending guidelines. I think we do mortgage loans as small as $20,000.

There are certainly programs to help low income home owners acquire affordable housing but all legitimate lenders would be extremely reluctant to finance an out of area buyer for an "investment property" that is so cheap.

It is one thing for lenders making those loans to folks that will live in the property but for "investors" I cannot imagine what the rate premium might be...

Old 12-28-2016, 09:07 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Wait, original poster said from Texas, did not say will relocate to Chicagoland or stay in Texas?

Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago