Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 22,247 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Pretty interested in the private neighborhood clubs that are around Chicago. First came across these when reading about the Hamburg Athletic Club, a club in Bridgeport that the Daley's were members of and is seemingly still active. Seems like a lot of these clubs used to be part political organization and part gang, but now have become more like a drinking club, almost like a vfw hall. I have also heard of Flags Club in Canaryville and Gaelic Fire Brigade in Beverly. Anyone know of any others, or any on the North side?

I also came across another forum talking about these kinds of clubs at 3332 W Irving Park and 3456 W Irving Park, anyone know anything about what those might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,299 times
And Garry McCarthy speaks at the City Club of Chicago. Some of these elite clubs, Mayor Rahm is a member of too.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 22,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
And Garry McCarthy speaks at the City Club of Chicago. Some of these elite clubs, Mayor Rahm is a member of too.
Neal,

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of neighborhood social clubs, not so much the elite downtown clubs (city club, standard club, union league, university club). Those are all pretty public and easy to find. I guess maybe Hamburg athletic club was an unusual example due to the Daley ties, but I think most of these neighborhood clubs are much more local and social then the big downtown clubs, and much more under the radar (Nondescript buildings, no websites, no solicitation for members, etc).

Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,299 times
Damn, haven't heard of any of them. Oh well.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:56 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner1 View Post
I also came across another forum talking about these kinds of clubs at 3332 W Irving Park and 3456 W Irving Park, anyone know anything about what those might be?
FWIW, those are 'key clubs'. Think, after hours club for members to drink/socialize. People in the hospitality industry frequent such places.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM

201 posts, read 278,017 times
Damba, maybe you can confirm but I'm pretty sure the one at 3332 Irving is called "Fort Irving" and 3456 might just be called "The Key Club", never actually been to either though. From my understanding "Key Clubs" are basically private bars that are open after regular bars close so bartenders and the like have a place to drink.

OP, I think Gaelic Fire Brigade is a social club for Union (aka all) Chicago Fire Fighters. There is also a Northside Fire Brigade, same idea.

Fairly certain there are a bunch of other clubs on the south side like Hamburg Athletic Club and Flags club, pretty sure there is a Canaryville Athletic Club and maybe some in Beverly, I'm from the North Side so not an expert by any means. Sort of like neighborhood fraternities.

On the North side, there is Lakeview Men's Club which is pretty public knowledge and just a private bar near Wrigley, a friend is a member. Also Rodam Social Club is one I have heard of doing some charity stuff. I know there is one called McWhinney Benevolent Association and I think there might be another one on Southport?

I'm sure there are some on the North West side but don't really know anything about them. I feel like I remember an article about one getting in some trouble or something a while back.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
There is Room 13 too. You need a password to get in which changes daily.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 PM

201 posts, read 278,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
There is Room 13 too. You need a password to get in which changes daily.
I think room 13 is more of a "speakeasy" than a private club, in that it is advertised, open to the public, and you do not need to be a due-paying member to go there.

Looks like a cool spot though, never been.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 16,802 times
There's one in Smith Park. The Huron Social Club on the NW corner of Campbell and Huron.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM

80 posts, read 102,899 times
I've been a member of Birch Road Cellar, basically a drinking club. They just opened a second location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago