Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:47 AM

34 posts, read 48,453 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and provide your insights and experiences! So here's my story: I'm from a smaller town in Florida (Port Saint Lucie) and am going to be moving away from there soon because it IS NOT good for someone my age; mostly geared towards people raising families and retirees. So I'm looking for an area that matches what I'm looking for. I'm visiting Chicago in June to see if I like it in person but figured I would ask the locals some questions first to find out more information! Also, my job is easily transferred and very well paying so I'm fortunate enough to not have that restraint. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Lots of people of my own, preferably recent college grads or young professionals. I've heard a lot of people who graduate at the Universities in Florida move to Chicago. Being that I'm 24 years old and single, it's important to me to be able to socialize with lots of young women my age.
2. GREAT NIGHTLIFE. I know Chicago is famous/notorious for their food and am definitely excited for that! But I'm really interested in nice bars, nice restaurants and good night clubs (especially techno clubs).
3. I'm going to be touring apartments when I visit in June. What areas do you think would be of the most interest to me to live in? I want to be close to downtown and surrounded by a lot of people my age. I can go up to $2000, maybe a little more. Just need a one bedroom.
4. Is there a decent amount of outdoorsy stuff to do here? Being from Florida, I guess that is one area I got spoiled.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and provide advice! the other cities I am considering are Philly, Denver, Madison (WI), and Tampa. So if you or someone you know has lived in any of those cities, please feel free to provide your input on that as well! Thank you so much and have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1232 View Post
Hello everybody! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and provide your insights and experiences! So here's my story: I'm from a smaller town in Florida (Port Saint Lucie) and am going to be moving away from there soon because it IS NOT good for someone my age; mostly geared towards people raising families and retirees. So I'm looking for an area that matches what I'm looking for. I'm visiting Chicago in June to see if I like it in person but figured I would ask the locals some questions first to find out more information! Also, my job is easily transferred and very well paying so I'm fortunate enough to not have that restraint. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Lots of people of my own, preferably recent college grads or young professionals. I've heard a lot of people who graduate at the Universities in Florida move to Chicago. Being that I'm 24 years old and single, it's important to me to be able to socialize with lots of young women my age.
2. GREAT NIGHTLIFE. I know Chicago is famous/notorious for their food and am definitely excited for that! But I'm really interested in nice bars, nice restaurants and good night clubs (especially techno clubs).
3. I'm going to be touring apartments when I visit in June. What areas do you think would be of the most interest to me to live in? I want to be close to downtown and surrounded by a lot of people my age. I can go up to $2000, maybe a little more. Just need a one bedroom.
4. Is there a decent amount of outdoorsy stuff to do here? Being from Florida, I guess that is one area I got spoiled.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and provide advice! the other cities I am considering are Philly, Denver, Madison (WI), and Tampa. So if you or someone you know has lived in any of those cities, please feel free to provide your input on that as well! Thank you so much and have a great day!
2k/month for a one bedroom means you can live essentially anywhere you want. Nightlife is great, so I don't doubt you'll have trouble finding your scene. Do you already have a job lined up?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
2k/month for a one bedroom means you can live essentially anywhere you want. Nightlife is great, so I don't doubt you'll have trouble finding your scene. Do you already have a job lined up?
I'm in real estate so it's extremely easy for me to switch brokerages, just have to take my state exam. Most people think it'll be hard to start over without knowing anyone but about 85% of my business comes from For Sale By Owners, Expired Listings, and Open Houses so it's not like I relied on the people I knew in my city anyways so it'll be pretty easy to start over. I'm a top producer here so it'll be pretty easy to find a company to hire me when I move. What areas would you recommend I live in based on what I'm looking for: somewhere with a lot of young professionals and recent college grads and close to downtown?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:

I would second Irish Illini's post regarding where to live/go out. It sounds like you can live in any neighborhood you want. The city has plenty of nice bars and restaurants. I'm not familiar with the club scene much but pretty sure one exists.

What specifically do you consider "outdoorsy stuff" that you're looking for? There's some decent beaches along Lake Michigan, plenty of parks and the Lake Shore Path is pretty solid for running or biking. You can kayak on the Chicago River. There's forest preserves toward the edges of the city and in the suburbs. They aren't the most interesting, but again, pretty good for a bike ride.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I would second Irish Illini's post regarding where to live/go out. It sounds like you can live in any neighborhood you want. The city has plenty of nice bars and restaurants. I'm not familiar with the club scene much but pretty sure one exists.

What specifically do you consider "outdoorsy stuff" that you're looking for? There's some decent beaches along Lake Michigan, plenty of parks and the Lake Shore Path is pretty solid for running or biking. You can kayak on the Chicago River. There's forest preserves toward the edges of the city and in the suburbs. They aren't the most interesting, but again, pretty good for a bike ride.
That's perfect for the "outdoorsy stuff". And what neighborhoods do you think would be the best fit for what I'm looking for? Just somewhere close to downtown and nightlife?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:25 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
That's perfect for the "outdoorsy stuff". And what neighborhoods do you think would be the best fit for what I'm looking for? Just somewhere close to downtown and nightlife?
River North
West Loop
Old Town
Lincoln Park
Lakeview
Wicker Park/Bucktown

Lakeview and Lincoln Park will give you the easiest access to the lake/beaches. They have more of a neighborhood feel. I lived in Lakeview for 6 years, 4 of which I was just a couple blocks west of Wrigley. I thought it was a great area.

Clubs, nice bars and nice restaurants will be easiest accessible by living in River North, but that has the most expensive rent. West Loop is also toward the nicer end. You'll get quite a bit more space for your money in Lakeview and Lincoln Park, and maybe you'll see more people your age in those areas. They aren't that far from River North if you want to go down there, but maybe on a regular basis you'll prefer to only have a few minutes to get home and would prefer River North.

I'd recommend reading up on the neighborhoods listed above. River North is probably the most touristy area of the city after the area around Millennium Park in the Loop. There's a lot of high rises, shopping and hotels.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
Quote:
I'm in real estate so it's extremely easy for me to switch brokerages, just have to take my state exam. Most people think it'll be hard to start over without knowing anyone but about 85% of my business comes from For Sale By Owners, Expired Listings, and Open Houses so it's not like I relied on the people I knew in my city anyways so it'll be pretty easy to start over. I'm a top producer here so it'll be pretty easy to find a company to hire me when I move. What areas would you recommend I live in based on what I'm looking for: somewhere with a lot of young professionals and recent college grads and close to downtown?
Given your budget, anywhere on the north side south of Irving Park Road. On the west side I'd look into Wicker Park, Bucktown, or Logan Sq.

Do you want to live in a high rise building with a gym/pool or are you okay with a traditional walk up?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Given your budget, anywhere on the north side south of Irving Park Road. On the west side I'd look into Wicker Park, Bucktown, or Logan Sq.

Do you want to live in a high rise building with a gym/pool or are you okay with a traditional walk up?
Preferably a high rise but if I can save money, I'm okay with a traditional walk up. I'd obviously like to stay below my budget if possible so if there are areas that will meet my criteria (people my age and close to a lot of things to do) that are below my budget, that's absolutely perfect!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
OP when you go in June.. check out some apartment rentals.. you are going to LOVE Chicago!
I think it's going to be a perfect fit for you.
The weather will be an adjustment.. but I think everything else will make up for it.
I bet you could get a decent rental for around $1300?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Quote:
as a realtor, I'm guessing you will need a car. I'd make finding a place with designated parking a priority then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago