Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 AM

70 posts, read 58,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
White Water rafting = Jet-skiing in Lake Michigan. Renting or owning your own. Da thrill of da waves you make yourself and wide open waters not restricted to a river of man-made area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8WIDDE2eVo
Wake boarding is fun, imo, and requires some skill to initially get up onto board but it requires buying and maintaining an expensive motorized watercraft and other equipment.

I had a jet ski long ago. I sold it after one summer because it became bring to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
OP, you can petition the parks department or try to find someone who'd invest in creating this privately. Meanwhile, your characterization about what Chicago does have is inaccurate. There isn't just museums for culture, though the museums run a wide variety of subjects and programming and the programming for the museums change. Crafta beer isn't the only sort of alcohol you can get, there are a multitude of cocktail bars and lounges or wine bars. There are plenty of other genres that are performed unless you qualify anything using analog instruments as punk and anything involving electronics as EDM.

Maybe I will make an attempt at some point to contact someone.

Maybe you should search for other physical activities to do that are closer to your interests. A few that might work are rock climbing, water skiing, jet skiing, bdsm, or mixed martial arts.
I appreciate ssome of the museums I've been to but I don't have the desire to return. The taste of many wines and beers are good, imo. None of that is exciting to me. None of that takes the place of adventurous outdoor activity requiring skill, live music included .

"rock climbing, water skiing, jet skiing, bdsm, or mixed martial arts"

If rock climbing could be done outside near the lake or river, especially downtown, I would see it as an alternative to ww kayaking but it would be better if both were offered. As far as I know there's no outside artificial wall downtown or even in Chicagoland.

I explained my thoughts on jet skiing and wakeboarding/water skiing. I do dabble a little in MA. I saw that u snuck bdsm in there lol.

Last edited by tellinit2ya; 03-24-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, you obviously haven't been to the ones that are off the beaten path

1. The Oriental Institute
2. Clarke House Museum
3. National Veterans Art Museum
4. McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum
5. Polish Museum of America
6. A. Philip Randolph Pullman Porter Museum
7. Leather Archives & Museum
8. National Museum of Mexican Art
9. DuSable Museum of African American History
10. Smart Museum of Art
11. The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
12. The Chicago Design Museum
13. International Museum of Surgical Science
14. The Museum of Holography (unfortunately closed now)
15. Money Museum
16. Rock N Roll McDonald's and Museum
17. Intuit: The Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art
18. The Busy Beaver Button Co.

In addition to that the *normal* museums have many exhibits that change so you never have to see the same thing over and over

In addition, I would bet you have never been to:
Oz Park, W Webster & N Orchard
Green Mill Jazz Club
Pullman Historic District
Ida Crown Natatoriumd
The 606d

etc., etc., etc.
I.would visit the jazz club at night but most of the things you mentioned sound as exciting to me as returning to high school for a day.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can also:

Do a Nascar drive along at the Chicago Speedway
Fly a Cessna or a Helicopter
Kayak down the Chicago River (at Sunset)
Do Indoor Skydiving
Good ideas. Those are all things I would want to do but only ONCE.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellinit2ya View Post

If rock climbing could be done outside near the lake or river, especially downtown, I would see it as an alternative to ww kayaking but it would be better if both were offered. As far as I know there's no outside artificial wall downtown or even in Chicagoland.
Maggie Daley Park has an outdoor rock climbing wall.

Climbing Wall - Maggie Daley Park - Maggie Daley Park

Old 03-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Maggie Daley Park has an outdoor rock climbing wall.

Climbing Wall - Maggie Daley Park - Maggie Daley Park

Thank you. That helps a bit.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you. That helps a bit.
And if it's too cold, rainy or snowy, you can head to Brooklyn Boulders in the West Loop. It's indoors, but it's an alternative if you don't like the weather.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
And if it's too cold, rainy or snowy, you can head to Brooklyn Boulders in the West Loop. It's indoors, but it's an alternative if you don't like the weather.
Thanks again. In your opinion, do u think that spot is better than the ones in the burbs that u know of?

Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks again. In your opinion, do u think that spot is better than the ones in the burbs that u know of?
Honestly, I haven't visited any in the burbs so I can't compare, but Brooklyn Boulders has a variety of walls at different difficulties.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:18 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
I appreciate ssome of the museums I've been to but I don't have the desire to return. The taste of many wines and beers are good, imo. None of that is exciting to me. None of that takes the place of adventurous outdoor activity requiring skill, live music included .

"rock climbing, water skiing, jet skiing, bdsm, or mixed martial arts"

I explained my thoughts on jet skiing and wakeboarding/water skiing. I do dabble a little in MA. I saw that u snuck bdsm in there lol.
Navy Pier plans to have an outdoor rock climbing wall as well. I think it'd be great if there was a skyscraper or two that set up rock climbing (with the appropriate safety mechanisms). Unfortunately, you'll have difficulty with doing outdoors bdsm, but maybe if you built a box with a one way mirror material?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago