Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B View Post
Some of you keep asking about my kids and what their preferences are. my kids are talented in sports and practice them quite a bit. Two of the things they do often when they need a break from sports are sports related but they just consider them as fun hobbies, mountain biking and disc golf. They would like to find a similar hobby for an alternate. By the way, speaking of disc golf, that's one thing that definitely should be added within the city limits.
We already have disc golf within the city limits. Best on weekends because it is on the IIT campus

Illinois Institute of Technology Disc Golf Course
9 Hole
3300 S Federal St, Chicago, IL 60616

and

Edgebrook Disc Golf Course
18 Holes
6100 N Central Ave, Chicago, IL 60646

There are also several courses in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 PM
C&B C&B started this thread

70 posts, read 130,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Finally, one iota of information about your child. So what are your gifted daughter's interests? It can't just be chlorine and germ-filled pools of the Dells. BTW, you can essentially replicate that in Gurnee if that is important to you.

**Great Wolf Lodge plans to invest at least $65 million in new Gurnee waterpark construction - you won't have to drive to the Dells!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ews/170419566/

The Kalahari Waterpark is the best indoor waterpark in the Dells, so I've heard . I've been there and it was a great family experience. I'd rather drive there then a shorter distance to the Gurnee Great Wolf Lodge unless they are planning something extraordinary for that branch.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Sounds like nothing will satisfy you. Don't bother living in Chicago, you won't like it despite it being a fantastic city.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We already have disc golf within the city limits. Best on weekends because it is on the IIT campus

Illinois Institute of Technology Disc Golf Course
9 Hole
3300 S Federal St, Chicago, IL 60616

and

Edgebrook Disc Golf Course
18 Holes
6100 N Central Ave, Chicago, IL 60646

There are also several courses in the burbs.
I meant a dg course of exceptional quality, not low quality poorly planned courses like tow ones you mentioned.

www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=1226

The one even has the audacity to charge a significant fee? Fees for dg courses is frowned upon and won't go over well.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Some of you keep asking about my kids and what their preferences are. my kids are talented in sports and practice them quite a bit. Two of the things they do often when they need a break from sports are sports related but they just consider them as fun hobbies, mountain biking and disc golf. They would like to find a similar hobby for an alternate. By the way, speaking of disc golf, that's one thing that definitely should be added within the city limits.
Disc golf... 11 Best Chicago Disc Golf Courses

Mountain bike trails...https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8008097/chicago

Some other things my kids have done (there are lots more)...

Trapeze - https://chicago.trapezeschool.com

Improv/comedy - Comedy Shows in Chicago, Toronto & Hollywood - The Second City

Theatre - Home - Lookingglass Theatre

Scuba diving - http://chicago.cbslocal.com/top-list...ns-in-chicago/

Rock band/music ensembles - Summer Camp | Old Town School of Folk Music

They also do lots of sports leagues and even "gifted" camp.... https://www.ctd.northwestern.edu

Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Did you see Big Marsh Bike Park?

Alternates listed have been canoeing/kayaking (you can rent at first to test the waters; Chicago has recently opened four public boathouses at different points along the river and there are a lot of private operators), biking in general (around the different trails and path in the city), cross-country skiing, ice skating, wreck diving, boating, going to beaches.

Volunteering to help the needy is also super exciting. Do that. Maybe an animal shelter?

For indoors, Chicago, as a major city, also seems to have a large variety of escape rooms.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The Kalahari Waterpark is the best indoor waterpark in the Dells, so I've heard . I've been there and it was a great family experience. I'd rather drive there then a shorter distance to the Gurnee Great Wolf Lodge unless they are planning something extraordinary for that branch.

We unfortunately spent too much time at Kalahari Dells waterpark for youth sport tournaments. Not really our thing. One weekend of that is more than enough to last a lifetime.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Alternates listed have been canoeing/kayaking (you can rent at first to test the waters; Chicago has recently opened four public boathouses at different points along the river and there are a lot of private operators), biking in general (around the different trails and path in the city), cross-country skiing, ice skating, wreck diving, boating, going to beaches.

Volunteering to help the needy is also super exciting. Do that. Maybe an animal shelter?

For indoors, Chicago, as a major city, also seems to have a large variety of escape rooms.
The thing about kayaking is my kids, although young, have already ooutgrown flatwater kayaking and im not about to take them on an unpredictable natural river, even a class 1. The Yorkville Merge Cline man made white water course is too far of a travel to make use of often. As for me, I can appreciate the scenery of kayaking down by the skyline but just once or twice a yr because I also get bored easily with flatwater.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 PM

[quote=GoCUBS1;48195140]We unfortunately spent too much time at Kalahari Dells waterpark for youth sport tournaments. Not really our thing. One weekend of that is more than enough to last a lifetime.[/QUO

We had a blast on the body board simulator, water basketball court , water coasters and Extreme slides.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Yes, lots of Escape rooms around. There's one on Michigan Avenue next to the Fine Arts Building that looks good. And volunteering is the best. We are adaptive sport volunteers, which is both exciting and awesome.

Also stand-up paddle boarding - more exciting because higher chance of capsizing.

Also, teach your older kids to use public transportation. Drop them off at a Metra/CTA stop and tell them to meet you at an obscure restaurant in a couple hours. That will be exciting for them! Plus you can always GPS track them through their cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago