Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM

83 posts, read 240,647 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Hoping to get answers from CPA in Chicago.

I bought a rental MFH for $360k last year in Chicago. I put $80k into it for a complete rehab. It's been fully rented and is generating very nice 20% CoC return (down + rehab cost). Prices have gone up quite a lot since I bought it. My agent ran a comp and he is confident I can get $550k for my rehabbed MFH.

I'm thinking to do a refinance to get the cash out up to 75% LTV for the next property purchase or I can also sell stocks to get the cash for the next property. What would happen to property tax after the refinance? Would it go up significantly because it will be based on the new appraised value? Chicago property tax has gone up this year and will continue to increase in the next 5 years.

Based on the calculation from the cook county assessor website, my new property tax at 550k value will be $14k compared to $8k I'm currently paying.

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Resources/Reside...

Does it make sense to refi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,954,212 times
I'm not a CPA, but own dozens of rental / investment properties in the city...If I were you I would definitely RiFi that building, and put it right back into another property. 20% Cash on Cash is crazy! Do you mind me asking what neighborhood you are getting those numbers? I haven't seen anything that high in the city.

PM me if you have any other questions, I do this for a living.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,995,964 times
The city doesn't have access to your appraisal, but you would have had to get permits for the work, so yes, you will be paying higher taxes.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,263,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I'm not a CPA, but own dozens of rental / investment properties in the city...If I were you I would definitely RiFi that building, and put it right back into another property. 20% Cash on Cash is crazy! Do you mind me asking what neighborhood you are getting those numbers? I haven't seen anything that high in the city.

PM me if you have any other questions, I do this for a living.
Yes, those numbers are most certainly suspect.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:39 PM

1,068 posts, read 920,743 times
You always cash out refinance for two reasons:

1. Your money is doing nothing for you at the bank. Put your money to work and invest it elsewhere. Why own a house outright for $100k when you can own 4 MFH houses with 25% down? Live in 1 and rent out other 3. This is how investors keep acquiring more and more properties. I've cash out refi the same MFH twice in the last 2 years to access more cash. BTW a cash out refi on MFH will require 70% LTV.

2. You want to maintain a healthy leverage on your current MFH because leverage is typically the only way to make more in real estate than the stock market. Leave 25% down and earn 4% levered returns on your money. Remember that on average housing prices never rises more than inflation. So again why own a MFH outright for $100k to earn 2% returns with inflation when you can earn 8% returns using 4x leverage with the same 2% inflation.

Lastly always always always get a 30 year mortgage...never get a 15 year or anything less than 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: