Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
oh, I'd be totally willing to live with several roommates, even.
Well, then that pretty much opens you up to live anywhere in the city, especially if you end up at Columbia.

And Avenger's right -- at this point there's not much more we can do to help. Figure out where what school you're going to first, then contact their housing services to inquire about roommate pairing, then come see the city for yourself and figure out where you're most comfortable. I will say this much though: more college students end up in Lincoln Park than any other neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 AM

81 posts, read 155,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That is a good idea. If you are serious and need a tour guide, I am available.
yeah for sure

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, then that pretty much opens you up to live anywhere in the city, especially if you end up at Columbia.

And Avenger's right -- at this point there's not much more we can do to help. Figure out where what school you're going to first, then contact their housing services to inquire about roommate pairing, then come see the city for yourself and figure out where you're most comfortable. I will say this much though: more college students end up in Lincoln Park than any other neighborhood.
okay, thanks. this really helps a lot.
I wasn't planning on getting all my info from forums and such (even though that might be what it seems like)
but I plan on visiting
and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be at Columbia if I decide to come to Chicago.
And Lincoln Park?
Mmkay, thank you I'll keep that in mind

Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,985 times
Lincoln Park is where DePaul's main campus is.

Lincoln Park was the bohemian center of Chicago during the hippie days (late 60's, early 70's) but has long since been overrun by accountants, lawyers and financial analysts.

It remains a beautiful, historic neighborhood, but there is nothing hip or cool about it anymore, which is why artsy types generally hate it and avoid it like the plague.

DePaul itself is a good school, with a VERY good reputation in theater and peforming arts.

But be forwarned: The school is about as diverse as a shopping mall in Wisconsin, overwhelmingly upper middle class white suburban, just like Lincoln Park.

Coming from Montana, that might be foreign enough so that you find it interesting, but like everyone says, walk around and check it out for yourself.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Lincoln Park is where DePaul's main campus is.

Lincoln Park was the bohemian center of Chicago during the hippie days (late 60's, early 70's) but has long since been overrun by accountants, lawyers and financial analysts.

It remains a beautiful, historic neighborhood, but there is nothing hip or cool about it anymore, which is why artsy types generally hate it and avoid it like the plague.

DePaul itself is a good school, with a VERY good reputation in theater and peforming arts.

But be forwarned: The school is about as diverse as a shopping mall in Wisconsin, overwhelmingly upper middle class white suburban, just like Lincoln Park.

Coming from Montana, that might be foreign enough so that you find it interesting, but like everyone says, walk around and check it out for yourself.
ooh. okay. maybe that Lincoln Park isn't such a good idea, then.
I'm looking for something pretty diverse. so hmm. okay. thanks a lot. I'll have to check it out for myself.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM

15 posts, read 41,988 times
Quote:
Every single "L" line that runs downtown has a stop within two blocks of Columbia. That includes the Pink Line which serves much of Pilsen.

I will caution, however, that Pilsen still has a rather gritty feel to it. It's not a particularly dangerous neighborhood by Chicago standards but there are some crime and gang problems there. It can be pretty intimidating for someone who is new to the urban experience.

Pilsen is rather gritty indeed. It is also a rather youthful, bustling neighborhood and multitudes of students from columbia and saic, fresh from leafy suburbs, happily reside there. And as for the gang problems... try to think of them as gang solutions? Eh?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
ooh. okay. maybe that Lincoln Park isn't such a good idea, then.
I'm looking for something pretty diverse. so hmm. okay. thanks a lot. I'll have to check it out for myself.
And keep in mind that I am not disparaging Lincoln Park, nor am I saying there is anything wrong with it. In fact, it is a lovely neighborhood and a fine place for a lot of people, including someone like me, to live in.

I am simply saying that I would not recommend it to an *art* student, unless you've got a time machine that can take you back to 1970 :-)

If you were majoring in finance or pre-med, it would be a different story altogether.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
And keep in mind that I am not disparaging Lincoln Park, nor am I saying there is anything wrong with it. In fact, it is a lovely neighborhood and a fine place for a lot of people, including someone like me, to live in.

I am simply saying that I would not recommend it to an *art* student, unless you've got a time machine that can take you back to 1970 :-)

If you were majoring in finance or pre-med, it would be a different story altogether.

Oh, I bet it is a really nice part of town, for sure, but I don't think it might be what I'm looking for.
I'll keeping looking, and keep my eyes wide and my mind open to any place that crosses me.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
What many of us have been trying to tell you all along is "not necessarily" but it's not entirely out of the question. It will depend on your own comfort level, and you need to know what the neighborhood is about to figure out if it's your thing. We're trying to give you the heads-up, though there is no substitute for checking it out on your own.
I couldn't agree more.

I hate to sound like a wet blanket parent, but I do have one daught who went away to college and the experience was the opposite......small town (if Epcot had "college land" this would have been it...idyllic, IVY even, etc...). The huge change seemed.....healthy, good, safe anyway.

There was no academic faceplant BUT. The cultural, etc., change (I'd say almost 100 percent from how we "live") was pretty challenging and, in the end, she came back to commute in the city to college.

So, I'm not opposed to trying something new. But, Pilsen might just be too much all at once. If Columbia worked out, I'd say try the urban campus housing right nearby. Freshman year, being close to other students and the campus is a big plus and will c onnect you to the school. You wouldn't have to commute by pub trans, but could walk to your classes. If you're away, connecting to fellow students and campus life is essential your first year, I feel, unless you're rooming with someone you know. If staying in campus housing near the school works, Pilsen could be a step taken the next year. I'd rather see a campus or part time job NEAR the campus to supplement a little higher housing cost.....and you get meals in a dorm for cheaper than you can cook/eat out for yourself from an apartment.

But, as many of us have said.....visit, see for yourself.

Good luck!

As far as internships, I'm sure any college would have that info, if not on the website, then elsewhere. Usually, the college's academic catalog states whether internships or coops are available for college credit or available for a particular major and are listed by department or major. A call to a department head or admissions counselor should adress that also.

Last edited by Sailaway50; 03-28-2008 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I hate to sound like a wet blanket parent, but I do have one daught who went away to college and the experience was the opposite......small town (if Epcot had "college land" this would have been it...idyllic, IVY even, etc...). The huge change seemed.....healthy, good, safe anyway.

There was no academic faceplant BUT. The cultural, etc., change (I'd say almost 100 percent from how we "live") was pretty challenging and, in the end, she came back to commute in the city to college.

So, I'm not opposed to trying something new. But, Pilsen might just be too much all at once. If Columbia worked out, I'd say try the urban campus housing right nearby. Freshman year, being close to other students and the campus is a big plus and will c onnect you to the school. You wouldn't have to commute by pub trans, but could walk to your classes. If you're away, connecting to fellow students and campus life is essential your first year, I feel, unless you're rooming with someone you know. If staying in campus housing near the school works, Pilsen could be a step taken the next year. I'd rather see a campus or part time job NEAR the campus to supplement a little higher housing cost.....and you get meals in a dorm for cheaper than you can cook/eat out for yourself from an apartment.

But, as many of us have said.....visit, see for yourself.

Good luck!

As far as internships, I'm sure any college would have that info, if not on the website, then elsewhere. Usually, the college's academic catalog states whether internships or coops are available for college credit or available for a particular major and are listed by department or major. A call to a department head or admissions counselor should adress that also.
I think that's really essential, you're right.
I would really like to live on the college campus, especially if I'm planning on staying in Chicago for a time.
For a long, long time
I think that's a great idea living in the dorms, it would probably be a lot cheaper to live there. And thanks for the advice on the internships and such.
I'm definitely going to check it out.
thank you so so so so so so so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago