Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
i did one of the accent tag videos a while back, no idea if i sound like someone from the city or not

https://youtu.be/Tee41DY24zs

in the south people say i have an accent while people up north say it sounds slightly southern influenced. I have lived in FL since 2002
I heard a couple of mildly Chicago-ish vowels, but for the most part your accent sounds pretty neutral, which would explain why it sounds southern to northerners and northern to southerners. (I've encountered the same thing...People in Texas think I sound like I'm from the north and people in Michigan think I sound like I'm from the south, presumably just because I lack either of those extreme accents.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Joe Mantegna and Gary Sinse also have good Chicago accents IMO, but it seems like an exact Chicago accent is hard to pin down because there are so many small variations.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I'd use the late actor/ex-policeman Dennis Farina as a good example ....

Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That makes sense. It's pretty much the same deal anywhere. Educated people often lose their accent. Less educated people keep their accent.
Weirdly enough, it was while I was at college that I realized how noticeable my Chicago accent is. I went to school in a small town in Ohio, so people would sometimes comment on it and ask if I was from Minnesota or Michigan or Canada (I don't know how you get Canada).

That was also when I started really getting interested in linguistics and learning about different dialects, and when I started reading about certain features the upper Midwestern accent has (like our diphthongized short-a's and flat, fronted short o's) and studying my own pronunciations of words, I realized how non-standard my speech really was. It also made me notice when other students were from my general area - but you're right, most of them just sounded pretty regionally neutral.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Weirdly enough, it was while I was at college that I realized how noticeable my Chicago accent is.
That's interesting, but I don't think it's weird at all! I think it's when people first leave home for any significant length of time (longer than a vacation), that they begin to notice their own accent in relation to that of people from other places. I find that the people who swear they have no accent (regardless of where they are from) have usually not lived very far from home for very long.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that your college was in central or southern Ohio, based on the fact that they identified you with Upper Midwestern states. If you had been in northern Ohio, I don't think your accent would have stood out as particularly unusual to them, since the accent around the Great Lakes share some significant similarities. When you get further south in Ohio, though, the accent has more in common with Kentucky and West Virginia, which is pretty different from Cleveland or Chicago.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
Rarely hear the genuine Chicago accent but that nasal, vowel-elongating midwest accent seems to be prevalent everywhere. Granted, there are plenty of transplants with that annoying regionally neutral thing, but not sure how anyone could live here and not hear the accent.

Then again most midwesterners, no matter how strong their accent might be, claim they have none whatsoever. It's baffling.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I can hear a bit of what seems like a Chicago-area accent in Hillary Clinton...and she's well educated.

I assume she's been away from Chicago for a long time but it hasn't entirely diluted?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I think it's when people first leave home for any significant length of time (longer than a vacation), that they begin to notice their own accent in relation to that of people from other places.
The only time I ever notice my own accent is when I record myself saying something, then play it back and listen to it.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:23 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I can hear a bit of what seems like a Chicago-area accent in Hillary Clinton...and she's well educated.

I assume she's been away from Chicago for a long time but it hasn't entirely diluted?
I can hear it too. But she's been known to adopt a Southern accent at times as well. I heard it in an old news clip from when her husband was governor of Arkansas, for example.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Good point. Same goes for her husband's Arkansas accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago