Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:20 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Definitely a good idea in theory. Good to see they are planning on renovating several terminals. Hope they are prepared for the increased air traffic.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Definitely a good idea in theory. Good to see they are planning on renovating several terminals. Hope they are prepared for the increased air traffic.
Also good is that it heyare adding on to existing complex rather than building a remote fascility on the western edge of property

Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
This is great news and very much needed.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:58 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
They are getting ready for Amazon HQ2

Old 02-26-2018, 12:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
That's what all the runway work was for. To allow increased air traffic, no?

Old 02-26-2018, 12:20 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That's what all the runway work was for. To allow increased air traffic, no?
Yes, to a certain extent, but I think it was also for a more modern and logical runway configuration.

As a frequent flyer in and out of Chicago to visit family, I suppose I was thinking about "they" in a larger sense including, of course, not just runways, but air-traffic control, baggage, gate lifts, etc. I.e., everything that comes with more air traffic.

Also, because I now live in Baltimore, I almost always fly in and out of Midway from BWI, so another consideration is the impact of increased air traffic on the region, including at MDW and MKE, small regional airports like Rockford and Madison, and probably even as far away STL. I joked with my partner (as we both got our graduate degrees from UW-Madison) that they might as well close down Dane County, as increased air traffic in the region from O'Hare may make it a cold day in hell before an airplane can even consider taking off from Madison and enter airspace near Chicago

I think this development will be generally very good for the city. I do, however, imagine there might be growing pains at both O'Hare and other airports in the region during this process. One thing I hope O'Hare gets right: for the love of all that is holy, please DO NOT follow in Midway's steps in "revamping" dining selections at the airport. 26 DDs and a Home Run Inn are not the kinds of food I want before getting on an airplane!

Old 02-26-2018, 04:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
The impetus for the new runways was less for pure "increased capacity" than to help decrease the headaches caused by having flightpaths for landing / takeoffs as well as taxi-ing planes have to cross in front of one another. There were also substantial limitations that the diagonal configurations caused for development of the potential commercial development of the land around the runways that the east-west configurations open up... Pretty all other major US airports have the e-w configurations. There are some folks that claim the prevailing winds, which often do come from the NW, should have caused the diagonals to remain, but there is not enough data about that issue that is not also influenced by the much more advanced avionics that commercial airliners now utilize.

So long as the City does not incur debt beyond what is likely to be supported by normal revenue streams this expansion seems like a good idea.

Of course the notorious antics of insiders, who often get outsized contracts related to every aspect of the airport, could result in taxpayers being stiffed, long history of that -- O'Hare contract goes to firm run by Daley aide's relatives - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Ohare cleaning firm violated its own contract

ChicagoClout: Patrick "Phat" Levar Explain this O'Hare Scandal

[City knew O'Hare vendor wasn't minority-run firm - ties to Rezko were obvious - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

New O'Hare Contract Adds Fuel to the Fire: Chicagoist

Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
I hope it happens. Good jobs during construction, more flight options. Granted, we are not short of jobs now, but this could extend the good times. I just hope United and American don't stop the project. Oh, and the South Suburban Airport is about dead.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Wonder if this is going to a final tantrum of the "old ways" or the death knell to future plans -- Emanuel vows to push ahead on $8.5B O'Hare expansion as American Airlines decries"secret deal" - Chicago Tribune

There are legendary feuds between American and UAL at ORD, the article from Sunday highlighted how American vetoed plans for repair of emergency roof leaks over the UAL security check points that sent angry fliers scrambling, the two firms just seem opposed to any sort of cooperative approach to improving the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago