Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM

95 posts, read 162,411 times

Advertisements

I would greatly appreciate assistance on neighborhoods I should be looking at as my job is being relocated to Chicago from out-of state and I am not at all familiar with the City. I am looking for a studio or 1BR apartment in a safe area. Apartment budget is $1500-$1800/month and will be bringing a car. Car is for weekend excursions and not daily commute. The job will be located across the street from Union Station. L access to the job is important. Here are the other demographics:

Single male, 26
Would like access to singles nightlife and dating, mostly on the weekends

In addition to neighborhoods, if you have any specific apartment building recommendations, that would be most helpful.

Again, I greatly appreciate your neighborhood suggestions and am certainly open to any other feedback as I am coming in cold in the next 30-60 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 PM

504 posts, read 497,648 times
Wicker Park (great neighborhood for everything, plenty of bars)
West Loop (a little bit higher end, right next to your work, best food in the city)
South Loop (green line access to get you to your work, ability to go to the loop/northside, lake access)

Those are my suggestions.. I would personally pick West Loop for the food, but most of my friends are in Wicker and it is probably the most fun part of town.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 PM

9,993 posts, read 5,695,637 times
If you're working across the street from Union Station, why is L access important? I'd be prioritizing Metra access if I were you.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:41 AM

124 posts, read 109,073 times
I live in the eastern part of west loop and it’s great in every way. Try to find a place as far north as possible though, all the fun bar streets are in old town and lincoln park.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 AM

95 posts, read 162,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you're working across the street from Union Station, why is L access important? I'd be prioritizing Metra access if I were you.
Why should I be prioritizing the Metra? Isn’t the Metra for suburban commutes? What neighborhoods with Metra access should I be looking at?

Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,860,037 times
If you are working across the street from Union Station, why would you need access to any trains at all? Just live in the West Loop/Greektown, and walk to work in 5-15 minutes.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:38 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,004,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
Why should I be prioritizing the Metra? Isn’t the Metra for suburban commutes? What neighborhoods with Metra access should I be looking at?
Metra is mostly for suburban commutes and I would choose CTA(EL, bus) over Metra due to cost and frequency. The one time when Metra is a better idea in the city is from more distant neighborhoods with poor EL service to the loop or if using Metra just works out better than the EL for some reason(like live right next to the line).

Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,459 times
West Loop, as others have mentioned is a great option. Depending on size you want, you can definitely find an apartment in the under $1800 range. Depends on if you need in-unit washer/dryer and updated, but most rental buildings are newer and have both of those. West Loop has sky-rocketed in the last 2 years in terms of "hot spots to live", so prices are higher than than other areas of the city.

There's different areas of West Loop in terms of how far your dollar will get you (similar to any area). Lots of loft style apartments, but also many newer-construction so there is a lot of variety. In the Summer, West Loop is amazing and Randolph is a destination spot, in terms of many people from all over venturing there to hang out/eat/shop/etc.

The general LOOP is much more affordable and many more options in terms of apartments - you can find somewhere very close, within walking distance. The positives will be your proximity to work, but one aspect to consider is the loop kind of shuts down on the weekends and after a certain time - (this could be considered a positive or a negative depending on your lifestyle). You're still close to River North and other areas, and a 10-15 minute walk from plenty of "trending" spots.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:49 PM

796 posts, read 932,923 times
of those three locations, I prefer the south loop. less congested, more parking and basically easier to get around. I do NOT like wicker park at all. too congested all the time. its just horrible.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,187,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
of those three locations, I prefer the south loop. less congested, more parking and basically easier to get around. I do NOT like wicker park at all. too congested all the time. its just horrible.
Wicker Park and West Loop will have more nightlife for a 26 year old male in his immediate neighborhood than South Loop. Wicker Park congestion is rough if driving to work but would be less noticeable as someone taking public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: