Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,075,451 times

Advertisements

Most regional hot dogs don't use ketchup. Chicago isn't unique at all here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:55 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,333,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Here is my biggest peeve that i just realized -

The No-Ketchup on hotdogs.

I just saw a commercial for AARP on TV that was describing Chicago hotdogs and the lady announcer said "And Absolutely NO ketchup".

Where did that stupid requirement come from that you MUST NOT have ketchup on your hotdog?

One hotdog stand out on Milwaukee & Devon will refuse to make your hotdog with ketchup. Another one too in the city, refuses to put ketchup on even if you ask or tell them.

Who started this absolutely stupid mandate that its almost hostile. If someone thinks it's a joke, its overplayed and is now stupid.
Next time you go to one of these places, smuggle in some ketchup packets and have your hot dog your way.

Problem solved. My work is done here.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,481,670 times
I realize we're not supposed to talk about all the shootings on here anymore but ketchup or no-ketchup on a hotdog is pretty far down on the list of stuff that should irritate one around here, IMO. My attitude is if you want to put ketchup on your hotdog, go for it. I personally wouldn't do it but whatever.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 AM

1,080 posts, read 841,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Most regional hot dogs don't use ketchup. Chicago isn't unique at all here
Exactly. I find it odd that the media try to make this out to be a Chicago thing. I grew up 800 miles away from Chicago, and always knew that putting ketchup on various random foods (hot dogs, chicken, broccoli, eggs, etc.) was a little kid thing. Grownups always preferred mustard on hot dogs. Once I was 10 or 11 I understood why: It tastes way better. For adults, ketchup is basically for french fries and tater tots. Maybe onion rings. Maybe an overcooked hamburger if you don't have any fresh tomato slices and are really desperate. Never on any kind of sausage, though. Good God, why?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 AM

1,080 posts, read 841,330 times
Does any one know what happened to the recent "5 things you like most about Chicago" thread? It was one of the better threads I've seen here in awhile, and now I can't find it at all. If somebody managed to spam it full of inappropriate stuff during the brief time that I wasn't looking, I would like to think the moderators could have just removed the inappropriate posts or at least left it up and locked it with an explanation. Instead it seems to have disappeared entirely-- am I over looking it somehow?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM

6,401 posts, read 5,042,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I realize we're not supposed to talk about all the shootings on here anymore but ketchup or no-ketchup on a hotdog is pretty far down on the list of stuff that should irritate one around here, IMO. My attitude is if you want to put ketchup on your hotdog, go for it. I personally wouldn't do it but whatever.
I think any "traditions" that require making fun of or insulting people for doing something are kinda dumb. I'm a native Chicagoan and I almost feel more in favor of ketchup on hot dogs and saying "Willis Tower" and "Macy's" because people are so obnoxious about it.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
That's why the thread is about innocuous things. Such as ketchup or lack thereof.

But again (and this isn't meant for you personally BRU) , idk why people think this is unique to Chicago. Most regional hot dogs in fact use no ketchup as traditionally ketchup has never been a hot dog condiment. Putting ketchup on a hot dog is akin to putting salsa on a pizza. It just doesn't belong there. I guess take it up with the inventor of hot dogs?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,333,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Exactly. I find it odd that the media try to make this out to be a Chicago thing. I grew up 800 miles away from Chicago, and always knew that putting ketchup on various random foods (hot dogs, chicken, broccoli, eggs, etc.) was a little kid thing. Grownups always preferred mustard on hot dogs. Once I was 10 or 11 I understood why: It tastes way better. For adults, ketchup is basically for french fries and tater tots. Maybe onion rings. Maybe an overcooked hamburger if you don't have any fresh tomato slices and are really desperate. Never on any kind of sausage, though. Good God, why?
I know a guy in his 40s who actually likes to put ketchup on his KFC chicken. It always amazes me how peculiar some people can be.

(I don't even put ketchup on my French fries most of the time. I prefer to eat them plain. Exception is when I get a batch that is subpar for some reason... cold, soggy, not fresh... then ketchup comes in handy in covering it up.)

Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,788,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I think any "traditions" that require making fun of or insulting people for doing something are kinda dumb. I'm a native Chicagoan and I almost feel more in favor of ketchup on hot dogs and saying "Willis Tower" and "Macy's" because people are so obnoxious about it.
I can dig it.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,192,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's why the thread is about innocuous things. Such as ketchup or lack thereof.

But again (and this isn't meant for you personally BRU) , idk why people think this is unique to Chicago. Most regional hot dogs in fact use no ketchup as traditionally ketchup has never been a hot dog condiment. Putting ketchup on a hot dog is akin to putting salsa on a pizza. It just doesn't belong there. I guess take it up with the inventor of hot dogs?
Speaking of ketchup on hot dogs, Murphy’s in Lakevoew is closing in a couple weeks. The ketchup police must be reducing headcount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago