Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:53 AM

490 posts, read 649,844 times

Advertisements

West Loop. Hands down. You have walkablity, access to 90/94 - 290 - and 55 which is a few miles south. Lots of new construction and converted lofts. There’s street parking available, the blue line, union station and OTC is easy to get to, and there’s plenty of cabs and ride shares there. It’s insanely close to the loop, and doesn’t have too many tourists walking through.

There’s amazing restaurants there, and the nightlife is good. I just moved out of there because I needed more space, and even with a decent income, I was priced out of what I needed when I wanted to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 10,453 times
Thanks, that's great advice. I hadn't really thought about the cost of surrounding areas and being tourist areas (aka more expensive). We are planning to come and spend a week next September (after we have the youngest settled in college) and explore the area. I've seen some great condo's with lake views, but the thought of spending $2k a month on HOA fees makes me ill. I'd be okay with probably half of that, but I haven't seen any lakeside condos yet with only $1k month HOA fee! I realize you pay for the luxury of a doorman, no lawn to care for or snow removal, maybe a gym or pool, but holy cow - that's expensive! I don't even know if that pays for sewer or trash or anything, so that's another thing we'll have to find out once we visit. Lots to think about for sure. My husband has traveled all over the world and he just LOVES Chicago, so after we live in Upstate NY for a few years, I figure if I can handle the winters there (right off Lake Ontario) then I can probably handle it anywhere!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:55 PM

504 posts, read 496,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
West Loop. Hands down. You have walkablity, access to 90/94 - 290 - and 55 which is a few miles south. Lots of new construction and converted lofts. There’s street parking available, the blue line, union station and OTC is easy to get to, and there’s plenty of cabs and ride shares there. It’s insanely close to the loop, and doesn’t have too many tourists walking through.

There’s amazing restaurants there, and the nightlife is good. I just moved out of there because I needed more space, and even with a decent income, I was priced out of what I needed when I wanted to buy.
I'm actually going to revise my original statement and say that this is the best option. Great options for food when you want to go out, very few tourists, reasonably priced places within your budget, and the housing stock is amazing (lofts and sfh).

Old 09-14-2018, 11:46 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
I would look in West Lakeview, Roscoe Village, North Center. These are real neighborhoods, fairly close to the center of the city but not in it, with lots of great ethnic and casual restaurants and bars as well as upscale places, and you can still get a single family home for $1 million although it will not be palatial - but a $1 million condo in any of those neighborhoods will be really something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago