Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM

26 posts, read 98,259 times

Advertisements

Hey!

I found this site through Google two day ago and have been reading all the previous threads on here to try and cram as much Chicago info into my brain as I can.

My husband and I are both 25, kidless, one small dog and a cat and moving from Austin, TX. He's finally getting out of the ARMY so we get to move where we want! I'm originally from central IL so I visited Chicago every few months for a day trip growing up.

We're arriving next Wednesday night and staying through Sunday morning to hopefully find our future residence. We want the typical "safe" apartment with central AC or window unit. If we can get one parking space (we're willing to pay), laundry close by and dishwasher we'll be in heaven! We know we want to be in the city and probably the Northern areas but not sure where.

My main concerns are:
1) Since we are both jobless, how will we get approved for an apartment? It seems like a lot of them want to verify employment, which I guess they can verify my Texas job and his ARMY thing, but both know we're leaving soon...
2) We're willing to go the temp agency route. How long does it take the average person in Chicago to find a paying job? My job search in Austin was absolutely horrific. Too many Masters level+ people with only tech company positions. This is by far my biggest concern. I have a BS in business, but my job in Austin was internet research basically...
3) Based on our desires in an apartment, do you think a 1 bedroom under $950 is feasible? I've scoured Craigslist for weeks and I'm seeing the same Rogers Park listings over and over, and then a decent ad will pop up, but it's gone just as fast. We'll have our laptop on us each day so we can keep checking as we look.

Any input you can offer would be great. I'm real nervous that we'll find an apartment that works for us and then they go, ummmm, I can read that ARMY paycheck, your last date is in two weeks, what employment do you all have? None, oh, too bad, you can't have it. I've seen so many things that tell people to go to Chicago without jobs, you'll find it when you get here. Something tells me, most people want to see you have a job before they rent to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Maybe try Logan Square or Buena Park? Rogers Park is ok, but it can be a bit sketchy at times, and it's a fairly long train ride to the loop for work. Bucktown is also decent, and a little cheaper. Maybe an apartment in Lincoln Square as well.

I put my resume on Monster (i'm an accountant) last fall, and had 27 phone calls within 6 hours. As far as I'm concerned, I've never known anyone to have trouble finding a decent job in downtown Chicago. It helps a LOT in Chicago if you have a BA or a Masters, just because of the sheer volume of college educated people living in the city and working downtown. I did know some people with a 2 year associates degree or whatever, and they had a hell of a time. So if you have a BA, that'll help a lot.

I've had apartment people varify my credit, but I don't think I've ever had anyone verify a job. I guess that's just one you'll have to tackle when you get there!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Maybe try Logan Square or Buena Park? Rogers Park is ok, but it can be a bit sketchy at times, and it's a fairly long train ride to the loop for work. Bucktown is also decent, and a little cheaper. Maybe an apartment in Lincoln Square as well.

I put my resume on Monster (i'm an accountant) last fall, and had 27 phone calls within 6 hours. As far as I'm concerned, I've never known anyone to have trouble finding a decent job in downtown Chicago. It helps a LOT in Chicago if you have a BA or a Masters, just because of the sheer volume of college educated people living in the city and working downtown. I did know some people with a 2 year associates degree or whatever, and they had a hell of a time. So if you have a BA, that'll help a lot.

I've had apartment people varify my credit, but I don't think I've ever had anyone verify a job. I guess that's just one you'll have to tackle when you get there!
You've totally calmed my nerves for the meantime! I hope I can be as lucky as you!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Most landlords will only do a credit check from my experience. It's the big complexes that typically do employment checks.

I second Wicker Park/Bucktown. Great public transit with easy commute to the loop, mostly safe, fun neighborhood and relatively inexpensive apartments. Under 950 is tough, but definitely doable there (I know because I've been scouring Craigslist myself!) Stay east of Western and the neighborhood is plenty safe, west of there it gets sketchier from what I've seen.

When you're here the best thing to do is just walk around the neighborhoods taking down numbers from the "for rent" signs. That's the best way to get a good deal.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,250,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakf1 View Post
Hey!

I found this site through Google two day ago and have been reading all the previous threads on here to try and cram as much Chicago info into my brain as I can.

My husband and I are both 25, kidless, one small dog and a cat and moving from Austin, TX. He's finally getting out of the ARMY so we get to move where we want! I'm originally from central IL so I visited Chicago every few months for a day trip growing up.

We're arriving next Wednesday night and staying through Sunday morning to hopefully find our future residence. We want the typical "safe" apartment with central AC or window unit. If we can get one parking space (we're willing to pay), laundry close by and dishwasher we'll be in heaven! We know we want to be in the city and probably the Northern areas but not sure where.

My main concerns are:
1) Since we are both jobless, how will we get approved for an apartment? It seems like a lot of them want to verify employment, which I guess they can verify my Texas job and his ARMY thing, but both know we're leaving soon...
2) We're willing to go the temp agency route. How long does it take the average person in Chicago to find a paying job? My job search in Austin was absolutely horrific. Too many Masters level+ people with only tech company positions. This is by far my biggest concern. I have a BS in business, but my job in Austin was internet research basically...
3) Based on our desires in an apartment, do you think a 1 bedroom under $950 is feasible? I've scoured Craigslist for weeks and I'm seeing the same Rogers Park listings over and over, and then a decent ad will pop up, but it's gone just as fast. We'll have our laptop on us each day so we can keep checking as we look.

Any input you can offer would be great. I'm real nervous that we'll find an apartment that works for us and then they go, ummmm, I can read that ARMY paycheck, your last date is in two weeks, what employment do you all have? None, oh, too bad, you can't have it. I've seen so many things that tell people to go to Chicago without jobs, you'll find it when you get here. Something tells me, most people want to see you have a job before they rent to you.
Definitly check out this thread Read This First- ?'s About Neighborhoods Or Moving To Chicago (or FOOD!)? Read This Before Asking Your Questions!
There is neighborhood info, info on finding an apartment, etc. I would recommend lining up appts with free search services (they are listed on that thread) and going through craigslist. You'll have no problem finding something for $950. Many private landlords don't even verify credit. The ones that do (the search services will) just look at this, rather than if you are employed. If you need to, you can always show your W2 from when you were employed. You'll be OK!! Also, I'd go ahead and start contacting temp agencies/other place you want to work to see about getting some interviews lined up.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Try the Chicago Reader I have had great luck with it. In fact, my last three apartments I found from it.

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-03-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM

746 posts, read 3,728,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakf1 View Post
Hey!

My main concerns are:

First, relax. You are worrying overtime, and that won't bode well for what you need. I think the key is how much cash you are bringing, which you didn't mention. You should be bringing at least 5-6K to tide you both over until you find work/apartments. Try the job boards before you leave as well. Moving to any city with little cash and no jobs lined up is scary, especially if you don't know anyone. Hang tight. You might have to rent a studio in a decent area for awhile till you get started, which I recommend. You can rent in the best areas for 700-800 per a studio, and some are as large as one-bedrooms. get a studio sublease, and you can save money till you get situated. Per loop temp agencies, it usually takes a few weeks to get something lined up with them. Do a yahoo search on temp agencies downtown, and hit 12-14 of them your first week. You will be filling out tons of apps, but you will start getting calls from them in a few weeks. I just landed a receptionist job for 38K at a law firm with one this week, so there are good jobs out there, and many are temp to hire. Finally, the spring is the big hiring season for temp jobs, so you are coming here at the right time. keep in mind that many only pay 11-14 an hour, so you might want to rent a studio to save on cash till something better comes along. Finally, Chicago is a great city, and far more dynamic, and slightly overwhemling, than Austin. If you thought the Chron was packed with things to do, just check out the Reader or Time Out Magazine. Beaches, museums, music, food, live theater.....just so much to see, and you will be in chicago the best time of the year, the summer. Coming from Austin, you will really appreciate the museums. AND, so many great, classic neighborhoods and architecture. Walking DT, the skyscrapers and park system overwhelms. Even the public library is great. Best of luck to you coming to Chicago!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about any of the following properties? And/or if these would be good location wise to the L and bus lines? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting what little time we have there this week.

1. 7531 N Sheridan Rd (I've heard this is a HORRIBLE intersection, I'm tempted to just cancel that appointment)
2. 3002 W Ainslie
3. 2655 W Haddon
4. 745 W Gordon Ter
5. 6200 N Hoyne Ave (Granville Court Apt)
6. 7239 N Sheridan
7. 2446 N Marshfield

The following don't have appointments and said to call the day before
8. Wrightwood and Avers
9. 1522 W Bertreau
10. Western and Division
11. 2025 W Melrose
12. 3930 N Wayne

In case none of the above 12 work out we made an appointment on Friday with the Apartment People and I already picked out ones from their website, Craigslist and the Reader that seemed acceptable.

Any input or STAY AWAY LISA will be greatly appreciated! The weather shows it's supposed to rain all day Thursday, the one day we'll be looking at things all over the map, yikes!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Im my opinion by general area without looking at the apartments or buildings themselves,

1. 7531 N Sheridan RD---------No
2. 3002 W Ainslie-------------Maybe
3. 2655 W Haddon-----------------No
4. 745 W Gordon Ter---------------Yes/Maybe
5. 6200 N Hoyne Ave (Granville Court Apt)------------No
6. 7239 N Sheridan-----------------No
7. 2446 N Marshfield--------------------YES

The following don't have appointments and said to call the day before
8. Wrightwood and Avers--------------------No
9. 1522 W Bertreau----------------------------YES
10. Western and Division-----------------------No
11. 2025 W Melrose----------------------------YES
12. 3930 N Wayne------------------------------YES

Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
You can check out most of those places on maps.google.com A lot of them are accurate photos in "streetview" and you can get a pretty good sense for the general condition of the building and the immeadiate neighbors.

I think Avengefire is right on!

Good luck -- btw how much cash have you got saved up? I'd open an account at Chase, as they have branches in Texas & Chicago -- should make things a bit easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: