Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:45 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times

Advertisements

Chicago has a pretty strong grid layout though there are some streets that cut diagonally (i.e. Milwaukee, Ogden, Lincoln, etc.) as well as the branches of the Chicago River. Each of the larger city blocks encapsulated by the main grid throughfares are like a little experiment in urban design which is part of what I find fascinating about Chicago.

Are there some of these major parcels (is there a specific term for these large chunks of the city grid bounded by the main grid thoroughfares?) that you find the layout and/or design particularly unique? For instance, Portland also has a grid layout, but the Ladd’s Addition part is strikingly different.

What are some of your favorite gridbits? What is it that you like about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,189,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago has a pretty strong grid layout though there are some streets that cut diagonally (i.e. Milwaukee, Ogden, Lincoln, etc.) as well as the branches of the Chicago River. Each of the larger city blocks encapsulated by the main grid throughfares are like a little experiment in urban design which is part of what I find fascinating about Chicago.

Are there some of these major parcels (is there a specific term for these large chunks of the city grid bounded by the main grid thoroughfares?) that you find the layout and/or design particularly unique? For instance, Portland also has a grid layout, but the Ladd’s Addition part is strikingly different.

What are some of your favorite gridbits? What is it that you like about them?
The link doesn't seem to work unless I copy and paste it from the reply box. https://goo.gl/maps/bEnWkCgpPVB2

Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,774,748 times
Goose Island? Doesn't exactly fit the grid. Always thought it was cool for no real reason

Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,183,806 times
I think the parts of Douglas and Oakland east of MLK will be cool once they're filled in.

The little section of Bridgeport SW of 31st and Racine is cool, too.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM

85 posts, read 69,841 times
Lincoln square the actual square area entrance near western and Lawrence.

All the six corner intersections except the actual six corners needs some work.

Walking along Halsted near chicago Tribune interesting views going over bridge seeing factories still being used.

Having a hot dog at Jim's original is interesting and odd being right on the highway and watching cars get off highway to get a hot dog. Maxwell street was ruined should have done something more with it.

Lower wacker is crazy part of grid can shoot through and bypass loop.

Right outside of chicago but I like the circle area in Elmwood park not sure how they decided to make a circle grid.

Why is there more diagonal streets on north side than west side?

Why more main east west streets on north side than south side?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:33 PM

4,660 posts, read 3,281,859 times
Thefuturehereandnow, I love love love the plaza of the Lincoln Square. My understanding is there used to be a road that went all the way through (the name of that street escapes me). Then they turned it into a dead end, created the plaza, and added the lamplight and the fountain.... Regarding circles like Elmwood Park, you'll find one in northern end of Norwood Park. Apparently back in the day they would have horse races there! As far as the angle streets, those apparently we're Native American trails set up. One that went towards my town of Milwaukee became Milwaukee Avenue. Perhaps the area that is the northern end of the city had more connections with tribes headed north, and created more trails to connect to them. Take care, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Thefuturehereandnow, I love love love the plaza of the Lincoln Square. My understanding is there used to be a road that went all the way through (the name of that street escapes me). Then they turned it into a dead end, created the plaza, and added the lamplight and the fountain.... Regarding circles like Elmwood Park, you'll find one in northern end of Norwood Park. Apparently back in the day they would have horse races there! As far as the angle streets, those apparently we're Native American trails set up. One that went towards my town of Milwaukee became Milwaukee Avenue. Perhaps the area that is the northern end of the city had more connections with tribes headed north, and created more trails to connect to them. Take care, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Yes, supposedly Milwaukee Ave went to Milwaukee, Racine Ave went to Racine, and Southport went to Southport in Kenosha.

The Milwaukee theory seems credible, but you really need to use your imagination on the other two even if true. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM

fusillirob1983, to which theories do you refer: The Zoincoln Square road, and the Norwood Park Circle? Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 02-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Yes, supposedly Milwaukee Ave went to Milwaukee, Racine Ave went to Racine, and Southport went to Southport in Kenosha.

The Milwaukee theory seems credible, but you really need to use your imagination on the other two even if true. Sorry for the thread hijack.
I was referring to the theory that Milwaukee Ave got its name because it was an old Native American trail linking Chicago and Milwaukee. The other "two" I was referring to is that Racine and Southport were named because they were old trails linking Chicago to Racine and Kenosha, respectively.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:25 PM

fusillirob1983, My good Sir. I will check my source and give my report a bit later. I'm doing dad duty picking up children right now. I posted in the Milwaukee posts on Milwaukeeans feelings/experiences with Chicago. Practically all are positive. Whether it's Milwaukee Avenue or I94, I'm just glad your city is close to mine! And no, you did not hijack on my post. It was good to hear from you! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago