Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:43 AM

2,372 posts, read 1,857,841 times

Advertisements

Let me define comfortably: Living like a grown up (no roommates) in a clean one bedroom apartment, reasonably safe, walkable neighborhood with solid transit access, money to eat out and travel occasionally and still have some savings each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM

629 posts, read 544,309 times
100k, unless travel means takin the train down to nashville, eating out only during happy hour specials, and savings each month means fifty bucks here and there

Old 03-12-2019, 12:53 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
100k, unless travel means takin the train down to nashville, eating out only during happy hour specials, and savings each month means fifty bucks here and there
thats a hell of a bubble youre living in (or some ridiculous lifestyle inflation)

i lived alone in a one bedroom apartment 2 blocks from the lake, frequently took a couple vacations a year (both domestic and international), and saved 30% of my salary towards retirement on a salary roughly half that.

reality check time: the per capita income in Chicago is $36,010. that dosent mean you'll be living a glamorous life on that amount of money, but plenty of people get by on it (and less). if you are above that, you are better off than the average chicagoan.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM

2,372 posts, read 1,857,841 times
Quote:
Sound extreme. I posed the same question in the NYC boards and most people said 75-80k.

No way Chicago costs more

Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM

629 posts, read 544,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Sound extreme. I posed the same question in the NYC boards and most people said 75-80k.

No way Chicago costs more
you said living like an adult, maxing out your 401k contribution, I figured European vacation, expensiveish dinners, drinking, entertainment ain't cheap these days... the one spot you will save a LOT is if you go without a car, that can probably shave 20k off your needed income, but most "adults" have a car to use so yeah, need more information

Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 PM

381 posts, read 349,787 times
Quote:
you said living like an adult, maxing out your 401k contribution, I figured European vacation, expensiveish dinners, drinking, entertainment ain't cheap these days... the one spot you will save a LOT is if you go without a car, that can probably shave 20k off your needed income, but most "adults" have a car to use so yeah, need more information
Don't listen to richy rich over here^^^

In Chicago you can live decently with about 40k.
1000k studio or less is all you need.

Even less than 40k it is doable, but you might start losing out on trips.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
A lot of variables to consider. Assuming you are single, have low (or no debt), are saving appropriately for retirement (401K contributions), and plan to live an average social life (go out and socialize at least a little), I would say you could probably live comfortably on about $65,000. That takes into account taxes, deductions (decent healthcare), and average monthly expenses (groceries, cable/Netflix/etc, utilities, etc).

You won't be living in a new/luxury apartment and will likely not be directly next to a CTA/metro stop. But in a neighborhood like Lakeview, you could get an average (no bells/whistles) studio or 1BR for $1000-1200, be in a pretty fun neighborhood with public transportation not too far away.

Again, everyone's definition of "comfortable" and "nice" are different, so this is not a one size fits all answer.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
A lot of variables to consider. Assuming you are single, have low (or no debt), are saving appropriately for retirement (401K contributions), and plan to live an average social life (go out and socialize at least a little), I would say you could probably live comfortably on about $65,000. That takes into account taxes, deductions (decent healthcare), and average monthly expenses (groceries, cable/Netflix/etc, utilities, etc).

You won't be living in a new/luxury apartment and will likely not be directly next to a CTA/metro stop. But in a neighborhood like Lakeview, you could get an average (no bells/whistles) studio or 1BR for $1000-1200, be in a pretty fun neighborhood with public transportation not too far away.

Again, everyone's definition of "comfortable" and "nice" are different, so this is not a one size fits all answer.
Right? Things like restaurants, groceries, and nightlife can vary greatly in cost, too. Chicago also is one of the few great major cities where you can have a middle class job and save up enough for a down payment. That’s pretty much impossible to do on your own in any of the other large urban cities save for Philadelphia.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 PM

85 posts, read 69,666 times
[quote=Chicago_Person;54662871]Don't listen to richy rich over here^^^

In Chicago you can live decently with about 40k.
1000k studio or less is all you need.

Even less than 40k it is doable, but you might start losing out on trips.[/QUOTE

I agree you can find nice one bedrooms they will be vintage. I have seen one bedrooms for 950 in every neighborhood north of lincoln park and north west. I even saw a nice one bedroom for 850.

This is where some work may come in, the deals like this are not listed all the time. I walked / drove neighborhoods and took pics of every rent sign i saw in a window then called that is how i found most apartments in the city cheaper than what you will find on rental apps.

I do not have any expensive hobbies so I spend extra money eating out. Eating at restaurants would get expensive so if you like trying things like hot dogs, beefs, tacos your money will go far trying new things but if your a more upscale foodie then you would need more money. I do not like restaurants with a server I only do that maybe once a month.

A lot of stuff in chicago is free lake, parks, museum free day. I also like doing touristy things a couple times a year I go to river walk and navy pier to have a walk with more things to see. I go urban hiking all around the city will walk until tired and take L or uber home. So that replaces a gym .

Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 PM

381 posts, read 349,787 times
Yeah man.
I can't believe the prices some people are suggesting.
I guess i live in a totally different world.
I grew up in blue collar mexican world And that's all I've ever known.

I eat cheap food... sometimes go to a more expensive place. But never to a suit and tie sort of place.
Try out craft beer with the girl, a movie, a street event, museum event, etc. That's our idea of a night out.

Cheap car and a Motorcycle in summer....
I walk my dog, explore parks, trails, etc.

The guy asked a very vague question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago