Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,769 times

Advertisements

Last week I fractured by fifth metacarpal and had to go to an immediate care center. Today I went for a followup and was told that I need surgery. If I do not get surgery I will lose mobility in 2 fingers and get early arthritis (I am 20). I cannot afford an out of pocket surgery as I am a full time student and my mother is in the low income bracket. I know that many hospitals have financial aid plans, which can even waive the cost, but my question is: If I were to go to John Stroger Emergency Room and tell them my bone is displaced etc, would they be able to help me and give me surgery ?

Old 05-10-2019, 05:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedOfEmergency View Post
Last week I fractured by fifth metacarpal and had to go to an immediate care center. Today I went for a followup and was told that I need surgery. If I do not get surgery I will lose mobility in 2 fingers and get early arthritis (I am 20). I cannot afford an out of pocket surgery as I am a full time student and my mother is in the low income bracket. I know that many hospitals have financial aid plans, which can even waive the cost, but my question is: If I were to go to John Stroger Emergency Room and tell them my bone is displaced etc, would they be able to help me and give me surgery ?
THere is the possibility of a payment plan, but are you sure that your mother has no insurance? She might qualify for Medicaid, and with you being only 20, you could be added onto her policy. Talk with her, and talk with your local public hospital to see what could be done..

Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
If you live in Cook County, your best bet is the County Health & Hospitals System. Kudos to you for not being arrogant and thinking that you should be able to waltz into Rush or Northwestern with no insurance. Yes, virtually all hospitals, because they are not-for-profit, have financial aid and charitable programs. However, the Catholic hospitals and the County are your best bet. County will definitely be able to help you out, and they do have good physicians and allied health professionals. Give it a go.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
THere is the possibility of a payment plan, but are you sure that your mother has no insurance? She might qualify for Medicaid, and with you being only 20, you could be added onto her policy. Talk with her, and talk with your local public hospital to see what could be done..
I am 100% sure she does not have medicaid or anything. Both of us are without insurance, which sucks.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
If you live in Cook County, your best bet is the County Health & Hospitals System. Kudos to you for not being arrogant and thinking that you should be able to waltz into Rush or Northwestern with no insurance. Yes, virtually all hospitals, because they are not-for-profit, have financial aid and charitable programs. However, the Catholic hospitals and the County are your best bet. County will definitely be able to help you out, and they do have good physicians and allied health professionals. Give it a go.
Thanks! I will go to the county ER tonight. I made a call to a representative and I was told that even if they do not do a surgery at the ER, they will give me a referral right away to have surgery done by a cook county doctor. I also found out that with a low income and no insurance, I will most likely be waived of all costs.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will go to the county ER tonight. I made a call to a representative and I was told that even if they do not do a surgery at the ER, they will give me a referral right away to have surgery done by a cook county doctor. I also found out that with a low income and no insurance, I will most likely be waived of all costs.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Do not get wrapped up in any payment plan with any private hospital that isn't Catholic.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 PM

203 posts, read 153,340 times
You should be able to purchase student health insurance through your school. It may be pricey, but at least it'll cover the surgery somewhat. You'll still be able to work out a payment plan with the hospital for your portion of the cost.
I don't know if it is a possibility right now as the school year is almost over and you probably need to be enrolled full time this summer as well to be able to purchase it now, but it is worth checking out.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 AM

118 posts, read 107,255 times
When I attended years ago, you had to have insurance coverage and school offered it.
I even took one course my “last semester” to have insurance before I started job.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:46 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
I am 100% sure she does not have medicaid or anything. Both of us are without insurance, which sucks.
Sincere question - I thought that everyone in the country either had to have health insurance coverage, and if not, enroll in the Affordable Care Act? (Obamacare), or be hit with fines. Is that no longer true?

To the OP, since the ACA is largely subsidized for low income folks, why are you and Mom not enrolled in it? To your question, absolutely go to Stroger, speak to a social worker there who will be able to give you Illinois-centric advice.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:25 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Thread closed. Per post #5, OP's problem has been resolved. Thank you all for your helpful posts.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago