Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

All I know is Zorn makes a big deal of living in the City and now that his kid will need a job I would not put it past him to be making some calls to some people with connections that might not appreciate criticism of the less than open process that the park District is caught it.

He throws plenty of bombs at Stroger and Blago, so maybe he is just late to the Park District game, probably not any kind of conspiracy in the classic sense, more of me just wishing that the columnists would immeadiately jump on these kind of things, lord knows there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

This kind of stuff did not happen when Forrest Claypool was atop the Park District, and the CPS were better off with Paul Vallas -- both these guys ending up working too hard to shine light on the graft that runs Chicago and the Mayor dropped support for 'em. Obviously there are limits to how 'clean' Daley wants things to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Oh, and UC Lab gives preference to professers and hospital personnel, so there is institutional intellectual elitism there.

I think you made some interesting points about the soccer stadium, but we will have to agree to disagree about Latin.
Well, you gotta think that if a college starts a school then its employees should get dibs on admissions. I don't call that elitism or favoritism; that's taking care of your own or defining your mission. Full disclosure-- I'm not UofC connected but I have a kid at Lab.

With all the brouhaha about the soccer field, I'm glad there is a place to play and sorry that the process were not more transparent. There's indoor soccer now at several places in Chicago but few outdoor nice fields. Even if the field is only available in off hours, I'm glad another field is available.

Park District use of funds has always astonished me. Am I the only one who is galled in winter when the alleys are not yet plowed but the park district has plowed the walkways for folks to walk in the twenty degree weather? I know that the district has restrictions on how it could use its equipment but that just seems illogical to me.

But one small not about Latin's soccer team that I observed a couple of years ago: It is really odd to see the fans cheering them and saying "Go Latins" when I saw very few Latins on the team!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Like I said I would have no problem at all if this was done in a truly above board and philanthropic way -- I am sure they could have done a fund raiser and built something very nice a bit further west. Wouldn't it have been great to see something like Hansen Stadium paid for by donors? Maybe they could have spearheaded an effort for new stadium for all out on Goose Island or a similar "brown" site?

Instead the insiders got Park District land right at their doorstop for pretty much their exclusive use and the bad old ways of getting the PD to treat the connected better than the rest us is perpetuated.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,726,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, you gotta think that if a college starts a school then its employees should get dibs on admissions. I don't call that elitism or favoritism; that's taking care of your own or defining your mission. Full disclosure-- I'm not UofC connected but I have a kid at Lab.

With all the brouhaha about the soccer field, I'm glad there is a place to play and sorry that the process were not more transparent. There's indoor soccer now at several places in Chicago but few outdoor nice fields. Even if the field is only available in off hours, I'm glad another field is available.

Park District use of funds has always astonished me. Am I the only one who is galled in winter when the alleys are not yet plowed but the park district has plowed the walkways for folks to walk in the twenty degree weather? I know that the district has restrictions on how it could use its equipment but that just seems illogical to me.

But one small not about Latin's soccer team that I observed a couple of years ago: It is really odd to see the fans cheering them and saying "Go Latins" when I saw very few Latins on the team!
I don't have a problem with Lab giving preference to employee children, I was just trying to make a point.

I will also say that Lab and Latin coaches and athletes have very good manners and are practive good sportsmanship - unlike Parker's field hockey team where when they win, the coach whoops, jumps around and high fives her assistant. Not cool. LFA's field hockey coach is also known for her poor sportsmanship.

I'm guessing that there are no actual Romans on Latin's teams though.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
All I know is Zorn makes a big deal of living in the City and now that his kid will need a job I would not put it past him to be making some calls to some people with connections that might not appreciate criticism of the less than open process that the park District is caught it.

He throws plenty of bombs at Stroger and Blago, so maybe he is just late to the Park District game, probably not any kind of conspiracy in the classic sense, more of me just wishing that the columnists would immeadiately jump on these kind of things, lord knows there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

This kind of stuff did not happen when Forrest Claypool was atop the Park District, and the CPS were better off with Paul Vallas -- both these guys ending up working too hard to shine light on the graft that runs Chicago and the Mayor dropped support for 'em. Obviously there are limits to how 'clean' Daley wants things to be...
Forrest Claypool is my favorite politician.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Instead the insiders got Park District land right at their doorstop for pretty much their exclusive use and the bad old ways of getting the PD to treat the connected better than the rest us is perpetuated.
You could think of it as the connecteds' revenge for the city stealing Saddle & Cycle's beach and playing fields way back when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago