Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:42 AM

157 posts, read 363,234 times

Advertisements

Here'e the challenge: Calling ALL locals!

craigslist: chicago classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Take a look at Craigslist right now and and chose the places that you would be interested in if you were looking for a place right now, only with the following criteria:

1-2 bedrooms
Safe location in or in close proximity to the city
must have image
under $1500
surrounded by plenty of nightlife/restaurants
no car required.

Then, meet back here and post your findings.Only ONE person will remain and become America's....Next.......Top.......Apt Hunter!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM

Northwest Chicago Condo (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/656979426.html - broken link)

??? ONly question is: What qualifies as "Northside"?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
Northwest Chicago Condo (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/656979426.html - broken link)

??? ONly question is: What qualifies as "Northside"?
that area is not surrounded by nightlife.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 AM

52 posts, read 202,927 times
haha, way to get people to find you a nice apartment
sneaky bastard

Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Looks fishy to me. Most of the listings in CL are just fraud anyway. Some clown finds an abandanded foreclosed home, puts a new lock on it, advertises it for rent, people come, like it, give a deposit and the rentee runs. It isn't his house to rent.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
that area is not surrounded by nightlife.
And it is not in one of the best areas either. On top of that it is very overpriced. You can buy the fricken thing for less money a month than that!

4836 W Melrose St Chicago, IL 60641 - Portage Park

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-26-2008 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 PM

OMG, is that the house? I am amazed by your sleauthing. How did you find it? I did not see an address. Thx thought for the info..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
And it is not in one of the best areas either. On top of that it is very overpriced. You can buy the fricken thing for less money a month than that!

4836 W Melrose St Chicago, IL 60641 - Portage Park

Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM

hey it is fun though to rummage through CL though , I do know of a lot of folks that have found their place like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
haha, way to get people to find you a nice apartment
sneaky bastard

Old 04-26-2008, 02:17 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,003 times
We found our piece of sh*t bungalow rental house on Craigslist. The landlord posted nice photos of it on craigslist and my realtor (first mistake) was the one to take a look at it. We were out of state and sent her to look at it. She said it would be fine for 6 months of temporary living while we looked at houses to purchase.
We had no hot water in the shower for the first week. This was in January and I was more than pissed. The dishwasher didn't work, the basement floods every time it rains, the doorknobs fall off the doors, there is broken glass in grass and in the driveway (we didn't know this right away as there was snow on the ground when we moved in), there is no key to the front door, the driveway is torn up asphalt and rocks, the refrigerator is rusted and on its last legs, and for one of the back doors the slumlord has two screen doors on it with plastic covering it. No real door to speak of. Our heating bill in this Elmhurst bungalow is through the roof (through the screen door) and the list goes on and on.
Needless to say, she's not our realtor anymore. And we can't wait to get out of this dump. Even when I was in college I wouldn't have lived in a place like this.
I know you can get good things from craigslist, and we've sold some items through it. But buyer beware. We got screwed royally. Never again will I trust someone, even a 'well-trained' realtor, to do a property search for me.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
hey it is fun though to rummage through CL though , I do know of a lot of folks that have found their place like this.
I found my last two rentals through craigslist, and I've been pretty happy for the most part.

But it's like anything else. Buyer (or renter) beware. Craigslist is not unique in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: