Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:18 AM

16 posts, read 70,441 times

Advertisements

as the title states we are going to be house sitting in Hyde park near 53rd and greenwood. Is this a relatively safe area? The owners of the house are both profs at UofC and Northwestern. They have lived there for 20 years and said they have never had a problem.

Any thoughts? I don't think we will do much wandering at night but the owners said they feel safe at night going to from Metra as well as early in the morning.

I know there are crimes that happen but what about general safety, especially during the day? I know it is nearing drexel and washington parks but is it far enough away to avoid some of those problems?

We will just be in there for the summer and it will be free rent! Any thoughts would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerburb View Post

We will just be in there for the summer and it will be free rent! Any thoughts would be great!

NO, it's a war zone! It's crazy down there! I think you should just DM me and let me do this instead. I will sacrifice myself for the greater good

/sarcasm

I swear I was just joking. I would love to have free rent for the summer...

if the folks that lived there for 2 decades feel safe, I'm sure you'll have no major worries. just in case, maybe this link would help (you can search for crimes by neighborhood)

Chicago crime data (formerly chicagocrime.org) | EveryBlock Chicago

hope this helps (and if it doesn't and you change your mind, you know who to DM...)

Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
We just had this discussion last week. That intersection is patrolled by two police agencies and the secret service. It is safe.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 AM

16 posts, read 70,441 times
thanks for the info. I just wanted a perspective on the area other than from that of the owners. Thanks!

in regards to Washington Park, is it safe to use? It seems so nice but I believe the other side of Wasthington park from Hyde Park is a rougher area.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
You know, we can say that it's safe all day and something could still happen to you. It's the city. I personally wouldn't hesitate to use Washington Park in the daylight hours near the Hyde Park side, but you do have to watch your back any time you're not fully in public view.

Hyde Park is one of the safer neighborhoods in the city, but it's not without problems and is surrounded by some really tough real estate. Use common sense, but don't walk around in fear.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM

I'd agree that Washington Park is safe to use during the day; particularly when there are many people about. The park is really huge and the southern end is wooded and remote. The western edge of the park is King Drive and the Washington Park neighborhood. While there are new condos and conversions on the northern and western edges of the park, these are still depressed areas with many vacant lots west of the park.

This weekend I saw all sorts of joggers using the park; along with the baseball and cricket players. The park happens to be bi-sected by a major route for Hyde Park folks to get to Midway. In the summer there is at least one festival every few weeks in the park so it can be interesting to explore.

53rd and Greenwood is only slightly closer to WA Park then to the lakefront. Both areas are patrolled by police on bicycles and the occasional mounted police officer.

Last edited by Manigault; 04-28-2008 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
I was just down in this area, at 55th and Greenwood, and the whole area was gorgeous. I was very surprised and very impressed. Some of the most amazing homes I've seen in the city.

We were in the park, and it was full of people playing soccar, softball, cricket and rugby. It was a very nice park.

Have your wits about you, but this certainly isn't a neighborhood like you imagine when you hear "south side"

Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Oh, like the Secret Service is there trying to protect more than one family that lives around there. lol

Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Oh, like the Secret Service is there trying to protect more than one family that lives around there. lol
Most folks would not attempt a robbery in front of car with a law enforcement agent carrying a gun.

I was on the CTA today at 4 pm on 55th st & Greenwood going to the Green Line. It was a third students, a third tourists and a third local residents. A strange mix. Coming back at 7:30 it was 80% locals and 20% students.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Most folks would not attempt a robbery in front of car with a law enforcement agent carrying a gun.

I was on the CTA today at 4 pm on 55th st & Greenwood going to the Green Line. It was a third students, a third tourists and a third local residents. A strange mix. Coming back at 7:30 it was 80% locals and 20% students.
Well they might 1 or 2 blocks away from him though. I mean unless you are living within a couple hundred feet of the "annointed one" I do not think the SS makes you too much safer at least at this point in that area. Now if you lived within a few blocks of the mayor that does make you much safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago