Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times

Advertisements

I suspect at the least they will lead to improvements in areas housing CHA developments.. Let's face it, many of the CHA residents are involved in shady activities. The new work requirements scheduled to take effect in the fall will weed out the bad apples.

Whenever you have a high concentration of adults unemployed, you generally have problems. Forcing them to work, even a minimum of 15 hours will keep them busy and out of trouble. The ones unwilling to work will have to leave.

This will in turn make some Chicago neighborhoods safer or at least appear safer.

The work requirements however, have clauses, one being that a participant simply make a "good faith effort". Another exemption is caretakers of children under 1 years old are not obligated. Some of these residents might have a kid every other year. These clause might negate the whole requirement. Only time will tell. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggles View Post
I suspect at the least they will lead to improvements in areas housing CHA developments.. Let's face it, many of the CHA residents are involved in shady activities. The new work requirements scheduled to take effect in the fall will weed out the bad apples.

Whenever you have a high concentration of adults unemployed, you generally have problems. Forcing them to work, even a minimum of 15 hours will keep them busy and out of trouble. The ones unwilling to work will have to leave.

This will in turn make some Chicago neighborhoods safer or at least appear safer.

The work requirements however, have clauses, one being that a participant simply make a "good faith effort". Another exemption is caretakers of children under 1 years old are not obligated. Some of these residents might have a kid every other year. These clause might negate the whole requirement. Only time will tell. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
Well, according to the Tribune article on May 1, all it requires is a "good faith effort" to look for work. Wonder how that standard is going to be applied to people who are not used to this. We're not talking about people who prepare resumes and keep job search logs here. Without proper training, I fear it will ultimately be more of a "feel good" measure than any real reform in how public housing is administered. Plus, it's already being criticized. Some feel it violates state child welfare laws, is inhumane, etc.

CHA critics say work rule might violate child-welfare law -- chicagotribune.com

It's definitely not a bad idea but I tend to doubt it's going to make much of a dent when put into practice. And even if it is perfectly enforced -- don't hold your breath -- I doubt it would lead to enough change to spur gentrification in areas surrounded by a lot of CHA housing.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
So you require people to find work or go to school yet you don't provide services to help them find jobs, to help them create a resume, you don't help them apply for a GED program or assist with college tuition and you say you'll give $12 a day to some family member who watches their kids?

My thoughts: Rings false and is destined to fail.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So you require people to find work or go to school yet you don't provide services to help them find jobs, to help them create a resume, you don't help them apply for a GED program or assist with college tuition and you say you'll give $12 a day to some family member who watches their kids?

My thoughts: Rings false and is destined to fail.
By destined to fail, do you mean many of the residents will not get jobs and be evicted?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,923 times
The problem is many will not abide by the rules and get jobs but yet will not be evicted or will be evicted but it will take tremendous effort to get them evicted. People who have been working the system their entire lives are not going to change overnight, sadly even with opportunities presented before them.

"Good faith effort" is so vague that it will allow anyone who wants to stay to stay and not get work or training.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggles View Post
By destined to fail, do you mean many of the residents will not get jobs and be evicted?
What I mean when I say this is that some will get around it, fewer will get evicted and nothing about the broken system will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago