Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2023, 10:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good day, Team!

Definite plan to check out Lincoln Square's Square Roots fest.

I see there is the Burger fest in Roscoe neighborhood, and I believe a street fest in the Wicker Park area, this upcoming weekend.

You know I love Libertyville, up north in Lake County. They apparently are having their Greek Fest this weekend.

Any other plans from you???
I don't plan on going anywhere this weekend, but Roscoe Burger Fest is usually pretty great. They usually have pretty great music. (Wedding Banned is a lot of fun)
My friends at the Stopalong are going to be serving their burgers there and they are definitely worth trying.
Fatsos, and Lolas are both pretty great as well. I'm sure the other burger vendors are worth checking out.

Square Roots always has good music and this year is no exception. Mucca Pazza is always fun. (Think punk rock marching band) Clamor and Lace is similar and is also playing (I played a show with them at Live Wire earlier this year)
Steve Dawson and the Lucid Dreams will definitely be worth checking out. (He and his wife Diane are also in Dolly Varden)
Real Estate is a good band but all of their stuff sounds the same, so I can't listen to them for too long without getting bored.
Cosmic Country showcase should be interesting (Andrew Sa is an amazing singer) and of course, Superchunk featuring Chicago's own Jason Narducy will bring some rock. Jason is also the frontman for Split Single, who are playing earlier in the day.
Have fun and stay hydrated my friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 07:28 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Square Roots is a great fest. I will say last year they did not handle crowds/lines well - it took forever to get a beverage, lines were super long. I didn't remember that being the case in 2019. It may be because it was absent for 2 years due to Covid and everyone was jonesing to be there.

I doubt we are going this year because we live super close to the West Fest main stage (which is this weekend). That fest is on Chicago Ave between Damen and Wood. We've been told getting in and out of our residence with a car is going to be a challenge so we will likely just "camp out" this weekend and just hang around here.

Roscoe Burger Fest for us in 2021 was a bit of a disappointment. We went too early, didn't see the good bands, and it felt "off" - I think that was due to it still being "covid-ish".

An old friend of mine is one of the main characters in Blooze Brothers - you have played there a few times, but not this year.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:36 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
HAPPY FRIDAY!

I may give Square Roots a go. A buddy of mine from Milwaukee is interested in doing some biking in Chicago on Sunday. I introduced many Chicago neighborhoods to my Milwaukee friends, and they all love Lincoln Square.

I went to Burger Fest once in my life, a year or two ago, with my kids. It was ok.

I rode my bike past West Fest a year ago, I believe. I was biking to the 24th and Oakley neighborhood, but I did not stop by. It did sound like good music playing, and seemed like a good crowd, so I'm sure it was fun.

As for Kmanshouse, West Fest isn't TOO far from you, is it?.... I heard you're only, like, 34-years-old, so you could probably WALK to all 3 of the fests you mentioned, no problem!!!!

Old 07-07-2023, 07:45 AM

LOL - funny, the Roscoe and Square Roots fests are close enough to each other that people could feasibly walk between them.

West Fest - not so much!

Old 07-07-2023, 07:53 AM

Kmanshouse, no problem for a 7th Degree Black Belt like me.... or a 34-year-old like yourself!

Possibly only ONE of those above statements is true!!!

I'll reach out if I'm going to be near West Fest.....

Start a great weekend, all of you, City-Data.commers!

Old 07-09-2023, 09:33 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
West Fest was a bit of a disappointment. Parking was a nightmare (we spent more time looking for a parking spot than we did at the actual fest), and the fest was no great shakes. (I’m not a fan of loud crappy DJ music)
It might have been partially due to my attitude (I wasn’t keen on going in the first place but my sweetheart wanted to) but overall I felt like it was kind of a bust.
Fortunately it was a quick exit to Goose Island’s Fulton taproom afterwards for a shared Bourbon County 2017 Northwoods before heading home.
Should have gone north to Square Roots but now we know better for next year.
Dang, I used a lot of parentheses in this post.
Happy Sunday, y’all!

Old 07-09-2023, 04:30 PM

Friday night we tried West Fest and it was way too loud. The DJ side dominated the noise. Saturday we escaped north (so we didn't have to hear the bass for 10 hours at home) and went to Half Acre and Andersonville. Then we decided on the fly to go to Square Roots and it was very enjoyable. Ran into a couple of friends. Music at the time wasn't spectacular but fine and a welcome change up from the thumping.

Today we stayed home other than a little walking in Wicker Park. The music is a bit lower volume today. I wonder if the Chamber told them to turn it down. More tolerable today but crowd is huge.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:48 PM

I drove down from Milwaukee. Parked by Linconwood Mall. Took out my bike and biked to Lincoln Square. Walked around Square Roots and Welles Park. Ended up eating outside, at Garcia's.... What a perfect weather day!.... Time to bike back to my car, grab a wine at Outback Steakhouse in Skokie, and then re-live Groundhog WEEK in the Waukesha County Jail!

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! You deserve it!!

Old 07-13-2023, 11:32 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
I seek out groups with a female singer, country or rock. They usually have strong voices but words are muffled by the band. Online they write and sing their own songs (so-so) with a much softer voice, usually higher soprano. I don't understand this. Their voices in the band are good enough, why change so you sound like everyone else? Soft fuzzy voices sound the same. I like lower female voices, easier to hear.

Anyway, all bands think the louder, the better. They seem not to notice that the sound is distorted and noisy even with an audio man working. I have heard countless bands, and to me, that's the only reason for a fest.

Last edited by carnelian; 07-13-2023 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-20-2023, 06:41 AM

Good morning Team,

TODAY IS MY FRIDAY!

You know I always throw a shoutout to Highwood, to your north. They are having a festival from tonight until Sunday. If you've never been to Highwood, it is a great town, with great restaurants!

If you want great northern Italian food, go into the Del Rio restaurant. Tell the staff that Master Jay from Milwaukee sent you and to say "HI!"

Also, some friends and I are going to be biking the city on Saturday. Ravenswood (Ravenswood Avenue and Berteau) is having some type of beer fest. Our colleague, Kmanshouse, says it is worth checking out. So I will plan to go there with my friends, since we are biking the North Shore Channel from Evanston to Lincoln Square.

The weather seems like it will be fantastic. I wish you all much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago