Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 04:53 PM

153 posts, read 416,575 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to get a discussion going about the rate of crime/homicides going on in Chicago, how it compares to other major US cities and if it’s worth moving out of the city.

I moved here 9 years ago from Miami, FL and have always lived in Ravenswood. I remember the days of working downtown and roaming downtown all night on the weekends. I’d go to River North or Boystown until the early morning hours. I never heard of any homicides or gang activity happening in the north side much less Ravenswood or Lincoln Square.

Fast forward to today, and there’s graffiti all over my neighborhood. Every weekend there’s a shooting. I would hear gunshots on the weekends from my apt coming from west of Horner Park. Police say gangs from Irving Park and Albany Park are coming this way. I saw a drug deal while having coffee with a friend at Welles Park. People have been shot at 7am, 11am, 8pm, and midnight... The other day people were robbed at a nice restaurant in Roscoe Village... Downtown is always deserted when I go down there...

And nothing is done about it. No arrests, noone IDed, Lightfoot seems to always be pushing back against businesses telling them it’s their fault for not having more security, fighting the police, fighting the Alderman throughout the city...

So I’m stuck in a tough place where I’m considering just leaving this amazing city I grew to love and call home. I’m curious do you guys think it’s unique to Chicago? What do you think the future of Chicago will look like? Is it worth moving out of here?

I wanna hear your thoughts

Last edited by GHA188; 12-10-2021 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 05:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
Unfortunately, I am compelled to concur. A definite change. I've been coming down from Milwaukee to Lincoln Square for several years.

Heck, I'm writing this as I am seating eating Korean food at San Soo Gab San. NO good Korean food in my entire State of Wisconsin!

And the Christmas lights along Lincoln Avenue and into Giddings Square is absolutely gorgeous!

And the stores and restaurants and their staff along the strip are without a doubt, fantastic and warm people!

Which is what is heartbreaking to see the escalation of burglaries and worse, shootings, in this area!

But because of all the former comments I made, I still love and support your great city!!!

Old 12-10-2021, 05:22 PM

249 posts, read 182,169 times
Unfortunately, I think all major cities are suffering from an increase in crime. If you want less crime you're going to have to move to a significantly smaller metro area or another country.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
It is what it is. Leftists control Chicago and most other major metro areas and they have instituted crap like no bail, reduced prosecution and sentencing, making the police use kid gloves and persecute them to the point they are afraid to use any independent initiative. The Democratic party just mismanages every major function of government most notably to protect its good citizens from the scum of the earth.

My brother is applying for FOID and conceal and carry. He has to take classes at the don't be Alec Baldwin school of firearms safety. He no longer feels safe. My coworkers are nervous visiting the company's production plants in the city.

I've said it before, Democrats are cancer of the government and Illinois is stage 4.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:37 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
I predict this thread will die soon. This issue has been masticated to death and only creates a medium for extreme and offensive political statements.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:39 PM

249 posts, read 182,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is what it is. Leftists control Chicago and most other major metro areas and they have instituted crap like no bail, reduced prosecution and sentencing, making the police use kid gloves and persecute them to the point they are afraid to use any independent initiative. The Democratic party just mismanages every major function of government most notably to protect its good citizens from the scum of the earth.

My brother is applying for FOID and conceal and carry. He has to take classes at the don't be Alec Baldwin school of firearms safety. He no longer feels safe. My coworkers are nervous visiting the company's production plants in the city.

I've said it before, Democrats are cancer of the government and Illinois is stage 4.
Alabama awaits you. THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!!!! If that's too far then Indiana or Kentucky are closer.

Old 12-11-2021, 01:39 PM

153 posts, read 416,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I predict this thread will die soon. This issue has been masticated to death and only creates a medium for extreme and offensive political statements.
I made no mention of politics, and for the record I’m a Democrat. This is a non-partisan issue. Both parties agree that homicides and gang activity are unacceptable.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:34 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
We are not doing down this road again. Please do not start any more threads about Chicago crime stats. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago