Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:29 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,758,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Vlajos, you must have been having a really AWESOME day going, if you forgot to mention that roof top!

Hey, it happens!

I wish I could remember the name of the guy that works the grill (tall, thin, glasses) because he has been teasing me about the free pretzel he has owed me since about 2020!
Well, Sunday was beautiful, eating dry aged cowboy steak with my family in the backyard with a great bottle of wine. The rooftop did slip the mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 09:47 AM

4,672 posts, read 3,321,732 times
Vlajos, my friend,

You are right. Sunday was a phenomenal day. The kind we have all waited for months! I biked all day in the city and caught some nice tanning from the sun.

I have a cousin from Milwaukee that once conned me (on one of our Chicago June bicycle trips) into eating blood tongue from Gene's Deli. Good GOD, I told him (somewhat jokingly) that I could not get that BLOODY AWFUL taste out of my mouth for days!

But that bottle of wine you mentioned hits the spot! I had about 3 glasses of cabernet from Ignotz. They offered me another, and as tempting as it was, I declined, since I had to bike back to Lincoln Square.....

P.S. Have you ever heard of a brand called Highway 12? I had it a couple times at a place called DiSotto, in Highwood. it was smooth as church wine. Now, I can never find it around here anymore!...

P.P.S. NEVER again will I drink a brand called Felch's. It's WORSE than blood tongue, if you can believe THAT!!!

Old 07-12-2022, 10:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,758,317 times
MJ, sounds like a wonderful time! I have not heard of Highway 12 or Felch's, but the name Felch's would deter me from ever trying it anyway. Sounds gross!

Old 07-12-2022, 10:25 AM

Vlajos, WHAT'S IN A NAME, right?!?

I was thinking the same thing you said about the name, right after I saw myself typing it out!

I hope the OP finds their spot with the attached garage, or at least safe parking!

One day, I shall be on the same quest!!

Until then, I shall be the eternal visitor that just blends in with the locals...

Old 07-12-2022, 12:17 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,883,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Look at Lincoln Square and Andersonville too. Very nice, safe areas of the city. Basically fits everything you want. Maybe slightly more urban though.
2nd Lincoln Square and Ravenswood. These are some of the greenest areas of Chicago proper, lots of public transportation downtown. Perfect fit, IMO.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,883,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES335 View Post
Lincoln Square or maybe Edison Park may be just the thing.

One question…may be a little early for me to be asking, but…how common are apartments with attached/adjacent garage or carport parking in these areas?
Kind of rare. You may find an apartment in a house (this area is common with 2 flats) that has a garage in back where you get one of the spots.

I live in a 2 flat, shared with one other unit/neighbor. We each have a designated, uncovered spot in the alley behind the house (apparently the garage that used to be there burned down years ago).

Absent this arrangement, having a garage spot is difficult. But I will say street parking in Lincoln Square is pretty easy.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:18 AM

3,957 posts, read 6,881,904 times
Quote:
ChiGuy2.5, hello!

I concur Don Juan's HAS improved. In fact, I've been a couple of times and their shrimp tacos were delicious and their salsa was WAY better! What I DO miss is the old location's ambiance as well as location being ON the block with all my other Edison Park faves!

Now just to be clear, I will NOT accept your heretic claim of never being to Tony's Deli. SIR, do you understand I've brought my Milwaukee people down to enjoy this particular deli?!?

That said, you mentioned an Italian Deli on Oakton and Milwaukee Avenue??.... I can not fathom ever seeing the place!. I must check it out.. P.S. Amicis on Milwaukee Avenue and Harlem is gorgeous this time of year, on the patio. It so resembles an Italian Villa!
The last time I tried to enter Tony's they were closed due to the pandemic. I've only been in the area for around 3 years so I just haven't had a chance to visit in person. I've had their food plenty of times though!

Minellis is unassuming and located in a strip mall so you wouldn't probably know it's there unless you're very local. It's a hidden gem though! Please give is a chance and let me know.

Amicis is around the block from where I live. I've been there in the past but not recently. I've heard the food is only okay but you are right about the ambiance being just like Italy. I was glad to see that they made it through the pandemic.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:57 AM

ChiGuy2.5, good day,

Tony's, like most Italian delis, makes a very good sub sandwich!

I looked on google maps, and I sure know the area around Minellis. I know I've been to the Dunkin Donuts and the Walgreens right over there.

Amicis: You are right. Probably mediocre food. But YES, very authentic and beautiful LOOKING!!

Old 07-17-2022, 03:20 PM

ChiGuy2.5, well I got my Italian sub today.......... but it was from Tony's Deli!

Next time I'll try your recommendation, I promise.! I have NO excuse why I didn't go today to your place. I went to church in Skokie, then an oil change on Harlem and Touhy. And I had my bike also, so from there I biked to Tony's.

On a side note, does anyone know about the "Turzak (spelling?) House on Olcott, in Edison Park? I understand it's on some kind of House Registry, or whatever..... Does anyone know WHY?

Old 07-17-2022, 07:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,997,380 times
Quote:
ChiGuy2.5, well I got my Italian sub today.......... but it was from Tony's Deli!

Next time I'll try your recommendation, I promise.! I have NO excuse why I didn't go today to your place. I went to church in Skokie, then an oil change on Harlem and Touhy. And I had my bike also, so from there I biked to Tony's.

On a side note, does anyone know about the "Turzak (spelling?) House on Olcott, in Edison Park? I understand it's on some kind of House Registry, or whatever..... Does anyone know WHY?
The Turzak House is a house located at 7059 North Olcott Avenue in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The house was built between 1938 and 1939 by Bruce Goff for Charles Turzak. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on December 9, 1992.

Of any American architect, the work of Bruce Goff is probably the most difficult to
classify in terms of conventional style and physical description. Not only is it difficult to relate
Goffs work to that of other architects or movements, it is equally difficult to relate his
individual projects to one another. Each design embodies a personal redefinition of the practice
of architecture, responding to the tangible and intangible needs of the individual client by
breaking free of traditional boundaries of form, space, and technology.
Guided by ideals advanced by Louis H. Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright and other
practitioners of creative architectural movements in the United States and Europe, Bruce Goff
evolved an approach to architecture that was uniquely his own. A keenly perceptive individual,
Goff was able create buildings that addressed the basic functional requirements of each client,
and the subtleties inherent in their individual personalities and lifestyles. Each intimately tailored design was developed from Goffs spontaneous imagination and sharpened instinctual grasp
of architectural principles. Conventional design precepts were extended to new dimensions or
discarded altogether to create compositions ideally suited to each project. Goffs works were
the result of harmonious creative evolution, representing one of the most sensitive realizations
of the creation of an organic, indigenous architecture.
Bruce Goffs work can best be understood through his residential commissions, which
comprised the majority of his executed work. Chicago is fortunate to have two excellent examples of Goffs residential designs, both of which exemplify the diversity of his creative
genius. The Charles Turzak House on the far Northwest Side of Chicago is a deceptively
simple design created in 1938-39 as the home and studio for a well-known Chicago artist. At
first glance it seems compatible with the modest bungalows of the area, but closer examination Of any American architect, the work of Bruce Goff is probably the most difficult to
classify in terms of conventional style and physical description. Not only is it difficult to relate
Goffs work to that of other architects or movements, it is equally difficult to relate his
individual projects to one another. Each design embodies a personal redefinition of the practice
of architecture, responding to the tangible and intangible needs of the individual client by
practitioners of creative architectural movements in the United States and Europe, Bruce Goff
evolved an approach to architecture that was uniquely his own. A keenly perceptive individual,
Goff was able create buildings that addressed the basic functional requirements of each client,
and the subtleties inherent in their individual personalities and lifestyles. Each intimately tailored design was developed from Goffs spontaneous imagination and sharpened instinctual grasp
of architectural principles. Conventional design precepts were extended to new dimensions or
discarded altogether to create compositions ideally suited to each project. Goffs works were
the result of harmonious creative evolution, representing one of the most sensitive realizations
Bruce Goffs work can best be understood through his residential commissions, which
comprised the majority of his executed work. Chicago is fortunate to have two excellent examples of Goffs residential designs, both of which exemplify the diversity of his creative
genius. The Charles Turzak House on the far Northwest Side of Chicago is a deceptively
simple design created in 1938-39 as the home and studio for a well-known Chicago artist. At
first glance it seems compatible with the modest bungalows of the area, but cOf any American architect, the work of Bruce Goff is probably the most difficult to
first glance it seems compatible with the modest bungalows of the area, but closer examination reveals the Turzak design as one of uncommon creativity and flexibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago