Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:22 AM

279 posts, read 759,799 times

Advertisements

Anything between the Lake on the east, Orleans Ave to the west, Randolph St to the south and Division (or North) Ave to the north will put you right into the tourist zone. That whole areas is very walkable with tons of stuff to explore. You really can't go wrong there and you should be able to find some decently priced hotels there as well. I konw the Red Roof Inn on Ontario Street is not too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
Thanks for the help! I should be able to use all of this info to find a good place.

I am not worried about Downtown parking. I am assuming we can park at whatever Hotel we stay at, and all other transportation will be either subway or walking.

We are looking foward to visiting and are brand new to the Midwest. Being from the Southeast/Southwest area, the only "major" cities I have been to before moving here to St. Louis have been Atlanta, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Phoenix, San Antonio, and Houston (I am a native of Mobile, AL).

Old 05-30-2008, 11:30 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Thanks for the help! I should be able to use all of this info to find a good place.

I am not worried about Downtown parking. I am assuming we can park at whatever Hotel we stay at, and all other transportation will be either subway or walking.

We are looking foward to visiting and are brand new to the Midwest. Being from the Southeast/Southwest area, the only "major" cities I have been to before moving here to St. Louis have been Atlanta, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Phoenix, San Antonio, and Houston (I am a native of Mobile, AL).

Just FYI, parking at the hotel is generally between $30-50 per night downtown.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
While most downtown hotels do charge for parking, often there are much more affordable options literally across the street: (not really recommending you stay at the Hyatt McCormick Place, just that they even go so far as to tell you where to park cheaper)
http://www.mccormickplace.hyatt.com/...king/index.jsp

While not the swankiest place, the Ramada Inn Lakeshore, in Hyde Park has FREE parking, and it walking distance from Museum of Science & Industry...
Ramada | Chicago Illinois Hotel | Chicago, IL 60615 | Near University of Chicago - 1/2 mile, Museum of Science and Industry - 1.8 miles & McCormick Place - 3 miles

This is a one of the less swanky locations to stay:
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites CHICAGO Hotels | CHICAGO-DOWNTOWN | Welcome
But just a short walk away there is some very affordable parking: Union Station FAQ (broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
That Ramada in Hyde Park would probably end up costing more after taking a cab to get everywhere you want to go. It's rather isolated from most of the tourist activities.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM

No need to take a cab. Excellent bus service to/from MSI and all the major activities norht: Museum of Science and Industry | Visit the Museum | Museum Info | Getting Here

Old 05-30-2008, 03:12 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Just FYI, parking at the hotel is generally between $30-50 per night downtown.
Well then, a holiday inn or red roof outside of downtown but near a public trans stop sounds very enticing ... But no, I expect something like that, so if I have to pay to park where I am staying ... so be it. I am economical, but realistic ... even though charging someone to park at your place when they are already paying to stay at your place will always be a rip-off in my book . Don't get me started on my rant of how simple parking meters are single-handedly responsible for the creation of baron, desolate downtown areas across the nation (a bit of exaggeration, but yeh). If parking were easier/free ... downtowns would be in better shape, imho. I'll stop there, and I doubt Chicago has the problem of a dead downtown anyways.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:30 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,246 times
A previous suggestion for Hotwire is a good one. My wife and I are planning a downtown dinner/theater/hotel night in a couple weeks and yesterday there popped a "4.5-star" hotel in the Magnificent Mile/Streeterville area for $133 a night. I grabbed it and it turned out to be the InterContinental, which is a great hotel (I wouldn't quite say 4.5 stars, but still..) in a great location for that price.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No need to take a cab. Excellent bus service to/from MSI and all the major activities norht: Museum of Science and Industry | Visit the Museum | Museum Info | Getting Here
Unless you want to see some of Chicago's famous nightlife... then you're SOL.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 PM

I dunno, OP said they are not much into clubbin' #6Jackson Park runs til 1am --
http://www.yourcta.com/maps/bus/bus/6.pdf (broken link)

Not sure if I want to got to Hyde Park night spots much later than that, but I'm a grumpy old man.

Just trying help the guy stash his car...

Not even sure I really want to stay anyplace less expensive than the places around Ontario & State:
hotel loc: Ontario and State Chicago, IL - Google Maps

But I'm a sucker for free internet and nice microwaved cinamon roll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago