Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 07:24 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjerryaura View Post
Thank you! you said something very interesting... " Albany Park for my liking." May I please ask WHY?
Albany Park has some gang activity and while not a notorious neighborhood, it's less safe than the neighborhoods to its east. I also find the stretch on Lawrence west of the river to be unappealing - some great ethnic food, but not a stretch anyone is going to think is "nice". Given your budget, etc. I think you'd agree if you toured that spot. Just not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 07:43 AM

14 posts, read 11,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Albany Park has some gang activity and while not a notorious neighborhood, it's less safe than the neighborhoods to its east. I also find the stretch on Lawrence west of the river to be unappealing - some great ethnic food, but not a stretch anyone is going to think is "nice". Given your budget, etc. I think you'd agree if you toured that spot. Just not my cup of tea.
Gracias! Thank you!

Old 03-31-2023, 09:14 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Ravenswood Manor and Ravenswood Gardens have their fair share of $1 million+ homes of historic nature—exactly the range where the OP seems to be looking. It has been home to quite a few well-known residents, including Governor Blagojevich. I cannot see what people looking to pursue an urban setting would find particularly objectionable about Albany Park.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:16 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,364,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I cannot see what people looking to pursue an urban setting would find particularly objectionable about Albany Park.

Albany Park is not what it used to be. I have close relatives who live there (north end by the river and the parks along Foster - just east of Mayfair - the "safer" part of Albany Park) and they can hear gunshots regularly. Mostly coming from the south end of AP between Lawrence and Montrose but they had someone shot dead in the street right in front of their house. This is a fairly recent phenomena. Even five years ago that kind of thing was a rare occurrence. I think AP is teetering right now and could go either way. It's a shame since it was such a well regarded community back in the day.

Old 04-03-2023, 12:02 AM

94 posts, read 104,697 times
I had friends living in the same area north of Lawrence directly west of the river back in the early 2010's. There was at least 4 people shot on the same block (Whipple) in less than two years and the "ice cream" man starts coming around 10pm. Albany Park has never been known to be safe. Was way worse in years past like 70's-90's. Some people started moving in for a while to take advantage of the affordable single family homes in some quiet sections but the gangs never left.

Old 04-10-2023, 03:46 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Is your kid currently in a public school in Park Ridge, and if so, have they made some friends, or are they in a private school? Are there activities they enjoy other than academics? The only reason I ask is because although there is economic and demographic diversity at NCP, it's filled with top tier students. I'm sure if you exclude the bottom performing quartile from Maine South it might look pretty comparable. If your kid is that smart, they may end up in a lot of honors classes with other kids on their intellectual level anyway. I ask because moving from out of state the last couple years it may be challenging to head to a new school, but it also may be culturally enriching to be with a lot of smarter kids from all different backgrounds.

The one thing about NCP that definitely seems better than Maine South is it's one third of the size, so more opportunities to not get lost in the crowd.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:08 AM

14 posts, read 11,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Is your kid currently in a public school in Park Ridge, and if so, have they made some friends, or are they in a private school? Are there activities they enjoy other than academics? The only reason I ask is because although there is economic and demographic diversity at NCP, it's filled with top tier students. I'm sure if you exclude the bottom performing quartile from Maine South it might look pretty comparable. If your kid is that smart, they may end up in a lot of honors classes with other kids on their intellectual level anyway. I ask because moving from out of state the last couple years it may be challenging to head to a new school, but it also may be culturally enriching to be with a lot of smarter kids from all different backgrounds.

The one thing about NCP that definitely seems better than Maine South is it's one third of the size, so more opportunities to not get lost in the crowd.
We are coming from a private school, and my child enjoys playing chess, soccer, and running track. While I understand the idea of removing the bottom performing quartile for fair comparison, I personally don't think it's the best approach. However, I do understand the point being made. Transitioning from a bubble of a private school to a more culturally enriching, diverse, and intellectually stimulating community may not be easy, but it is certainly appealing as it provides exposure during the formative years of a child's life.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:56 PM

190 posts, read 405,452 times
I am in the suburbs but lived in the city for many years. We moved for the schools specifically so we wouldn't have to deal with CPS. I would never put my kids in CPS if given the choice. Northside is clearly an amazing school but at what cost, too many downsides with CPS. Good luck on your decision!

Old 04-23-2023, 03:49 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
It hasn't come up yet but OP, I'm wondering what is your son's opinion of all of this? Does he realllly want to go to NCP? Does he want to move? Is he excited about it? Yes, the selective schools are wonderful for some. I went to a SEHS, having grown up in the city.

I didn't realize at the time how unique my upbringing was. I marvel at the freedoms I had. It was also a different Chicago.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:08 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
We just went to NCP for a dance show/competition involving a family member. Hadn't been there before.

Nice looking school - felt suburban to me. The parking lot, though, needs to be about 3x bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago