Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,620 times

Advertisements

I got tickets to the Oprah show.

Never been in Chicago.

I would like to know which airport is more user friendly; Midway or O'Hare?

Also if anyone is familiar with where the Oprah studio is, and if there are any nice reasonable hotels close. Address is 1058 W. Washington

And if someone is familiar with that area, what is it like around there?
Safe, other things to do, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 05:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Yes,I was there(O's show).It is a safe area,everything(hotels,restaraunts) is a cab ride away.You may have to stand in line outside for awhile so dress warm.Go to "TRIPADVISORS" site and pick a hotel .Dont know what your budget is,or hotel requiremnts but mapquest a downtown hotel from Oprahs.I really dont know any in her immediate area.There are just too many hotels downtown to mention,but that site is very helpful that way.I wonder if you called Harpos studio main line if they can suggest one or have one they use that has shuttle service as there are so many out of towners like you who go to the show...I always use O'Hare,its bigger,but easier jaunt to the city and they even have a train ( the "L") that takes you downtown.Or pick a hotel with a shuttle bus from O'Hare.Have fun,,,she is very "REGAL" in person.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Yes,I was there(O's show).It is a safe area,everything(hotels,restaraunts) is a cab ride away.You may have to stand in line outside for awhile so dress warm.Go to "TRIPADVISORS" site and pick a hotel .Dont know what your budget is,or hotel requiremnts but mapquest a downtown hotel from Oprahs.I really dont know any in her immediate area.There are just too many hotels downtown to mention,but that site is very helpful that way.I wonder if you called Harpos studio main line if they can suggest one or have one they use that has shuttle service as there are so many out of towners like you who go to the show...I always use O'Hare,its bigger,but easier jaunt to the city and they even have a train ( the "L") that takes you downtown.Or pick a hotel with a shuttle bus from O'Hare.Have fun,,,she is very "REGAL" in person.

Thanks for all the great info!

I'm glad to hear it is safe.

Do you know how soon they start standing in line?

I'll check tripadvisors.

Thanks again

Old 01-19-2007, 06:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Please call Harpo,I was there a few years ago and we were outside EARLY am,but maybe things are different so I hate to give info now.What I didnt like was the mad rush inside for prime seats (there really are no bad seats) which may be different now.(I hope)Have a great time in Chicago. There are great things to see,do and EAT

Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Harpo Studios is in a neighborhood called West Loop. It is a high-end residential and entertainment/nightlife district. It is an area that used to be light manufacturing/industrial and has since been converted to residential lofts/ condos. It's a high density area and doesn't really have a "residential" feel to it. That said, its business thoroughfares are lined with fairly uspcale bars and contemporary restaurants typically filled with white-collar professional 30-something singles and/or 30-something childless couples. (If you get too far west you may start to notice that the area isn't quite as "upscale-looking" any more. When that happens, it's time to turn around and head back!) That area is not really my scene, but there is one place I quite like that I think is literally across the street from the studio called The Flat Top Grill. (Their listed address is 1000 W. Washington Blvd but I think their entrance faces the studio.) It's a do-it-yourself stir-fry place where the ingredients are laid out buffet-style, you put them together in a bowl, then bring it up to the cook, he cooks it for you and they bring it to you at your table. Their website is www.flattopgrill.com and it will explain how it works.

Hotels: millions to pick from downtown, none really in the West Loop area. Pick one that fits your needs and then take a cab or a bus to the studio. It's less than a mile from downtown so cab fare shouldn't be too bad.

Airport: I don't think either is really more user-friendly. If you're renting a car, it's conceptually easier to drive in from O'Hare because all you have to do is hop an on expressway and it takes you right downtown. Unfortunately, that expressway often crawls along at about .000832 miles per hour. From Midway you'd have to spend at least some time in street-level traffic to get downtown, so it's not much easier. If you're not renting a car, both have taxi stands. A taxi from O'Hare could cost you anywhere from $25 to $50 depending on how clogged traffic is. (Taxis in Chicago operate by the minute, not by the mile). It will be cheaper from Midway, probably $15 to $25. There are L trains that will take you right downtown and it will only cost you 2 bucks. The L ride from O'Hare is about 40 minutes, from Midway about 25. Quite honestly, the L will get you to downtown faster than a taxi will during rush hour, and at a $45 discount. Midway is a much smaller airport so you won't have to walk 32 miles from your terminal to the trains. Midway is also where the "discount" airlines fly (particularly Southwest - they practically own that airport) so if you plan to fly on the cheap you may very well end up at Midway.

I'm confident you will have the time of your life in our fabulous city.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 PM

Drover

Do you know if 160 E. Huron would be in the is too far west where the neighborhood gets unpleasant?

Thanks for the airport info.
I don't want to take a taxi.
We will have 3 adults and 2 children, I am thinking the train would be easier.

I'll check on Southwest to see if they do any runs from here.

Gosh, the hotels are expensive!

And there is a Dentist convention going on that weekend I found out, and things are booking up fast.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Drover

Do you know if 160 E. Huron would be in the is too far west where the neighborhood gets unpleasant?
Nope, 160 E. Huron is, for all intents and purposes, downtown. It's actually about 1.5 miles east of Harpo studios. It's not until you get about a mile west of the studio that you should consider becoming concerned. 160 E. Huron is in mixed high-rise territory; some buildings 50 stories tall, some two stories tall, sometimes right next to each other. It's mixed offices, residential highrises, lots of restaurants and shops on the ground levels -- in fact the zoning in that area requires that the ground floor contain a retail business or restaurant.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nope, 160 E. Huron is, for all intents and purposes, downtown. It's actually about 1.5 miles east of Harpo studios. It's not until you get about a mile west of the studio that you should consider becoming concerned. 160 E. Huron is in mixed high-rise territory; some buildings 50 stories tall, some two stories tall, sometimes right next to each other. It's mixed offices, residential highrises, lots of restaurants and shops on the ground levels -- in fact the zoning in that area requires that the ground floor contain a retail business or restaurant.

THANKS for all the great info

Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM

Oh, almost forgot to mention... 160 E. Huron puts you about half a block from the "Magnificent Mile" on Michigan Avenue, the premier shopping district in Chicago. Think NYC's Fifth Avenue but smaller.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh, almost forgot to mention... 160 E. Huron puts you about half a block from the "Magnificent Mile" on Michigan Avenue, the premier shopping district in Chicago. Think NYC's Fifth Avenue but smaller.
Yeah, my daughter will love that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago