Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times

Advertisements

So I finally moved here to Chicago this past Tuesday from Dallas. I had a verbal agreement to sublet a place prior to moving here. I talked to the guy several times before getting here, and was confident that our arrangement was all set. I get here and call my future temp "roommate" up who is going to sublet the room to me for 1-2 months while I find work and my own place. He picks me up, we go to the condo to check it out to make sure it is up to standard and that I still want to stay. I said sure. He then proceeds to tell me he has to check with the pilot that normally takes that room. needlessly to say I was furious. What kind of a person sublets a room that is already taken?

So...I go back to Craigslist and hit the 3 other contacts that had emailed me or called when I was doing my search. As luck would have it, they all had their rooms avail still. But oh no, here we go again. I show up at one yesterday where the owner had emailed me saying they needed someone to stay in the apartment because the room mate they had lined up, had bailed. They needed someone to occupy for 30 days while searching for a roommate and that it sounded like my situation was perfect for their needs. We drive up and the short version is, no one is living there, she wants more money than we discussed and thats just the half of it. So far every one of these has not been what has been told to me when they contacted me. As of 4:30 today, I have talked to 6 people from craigslist about subletting a place and it's been a hassle to the point the place is either not really available or the conditions are 99% different than advertised. The process is wasting alot of my time so i'm pretty much to the point where i'm thinking that the subletting idea is a lost cause and that I'd better just try and find a place that is looking for a roommate and not temporary but 6 months to a year. As i'm running out of time (can't stay where i'm staying too much longer) and need a place to live soon. With the bad luck i've had thus far, my fear is the apartment hunt is going to go the same way. Is the nature of the subletting beast or am I just that unlucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
I don't know anyone who has had problems like these, but I want to point out that you should always have a contract drawn up as a subletter. It will help to prevent some of these issues (you can find a standard one online).

Old 09-04-2008, 04:31 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
Yea I dont know if there is much anyone can say now but Ive never heard of this before. I would think that somewhere out there would be some legit people. Best of luck

Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
In NC, it is illegal to sublet an apt...so, you might want to check the legalities in Chicago...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,309 times
In the State of Illinois, renters are entitled to subletting with consent of their landlords.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I've known people who sublet rooms, and people who lived in subletted rooms, and none of them ever had any issues.

I think you're just unlucky You can live in my cellar.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
I am so sorry! That sucks!! I don't know anyone who's tried to sublet before, so I don't know if this is normal. Where are you looking?

Oh and congrats on the move! Try not to let this affect your opinion of Chicago!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I am so sorry! That sucks!! I don't know anyone who's tried to sublet before, so I don't know if this is normal. Where are you looking?

Oh and congrats on the move! Try not to let this affect your opinion of Chicago!

Primarily north side. Trying to stay close to the few friends I have here. I'm also more familiar with this side of town. I love this city, now I just need a place to stay so I can enjoy it!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
What is your budget for a room? What is your budget for an apartment?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What is your budget for a room? What is your budget for an apartment?
Trying to stay under 800 including utilities. Found plenty of places the last couple of days as far as long term (no longer looking for just 30 days since it's been such a hassle and appears to have as many hoops to jump through as long term) that fit my criteria, unfortunately i've been too slow on most of them or they are not wanting someone until October 1st. I have a couple of places to check out today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: