Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

How many more fricken weather question threads are there going to be.? This is getting f*&^(*& out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
Cold is relative. If it hits 60 in OC, CA theyre busting out their snow boots...then if it rains AND is cold? they're all gonna die!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstengle View Post
Yes, it is very cold & snowy- but when the Spring comes-- it is the most beautiful thing you will ever experience when it comes to weather!!! You truly appreciate every single thing about spring!
This is very true. You deal with 3-4 months of winter temps, but come spring, you get the awe and wonder of watching everything come back to life. Then you can laugh at all the ******* who cant take a little cold and moved to warmer states as you watch them have to suffer through hot springs, VERY HOT summers, and then hot falls as well. While we bask in beautiful 70s and 80s in summer (with a small handful of 90 degree temps), the rest of the country is roasting, sweating, and cursing under 90+ temps all summer long.

Go sit along I-55 in May and watch the endless Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Texas plates coming back for the summer. Its hilarious.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
eh most northern cities are about the same, thing with chicago you are going to have at least a few weeks of downright brutal conditions... sometimes this can be 6-7 weeks straight where the temperature does not get above freezing, ever.
(try to use your vacation time between jan 15-feb 15th)
chicago is best place to be in the summer so don't use it then.
When I was there I would go down to Florida for Thanksgiving Christmas and New Years, then a vacation around presidents day... so not so bad if you are getting breaks from it.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 PM

82 posts, read 390,883 times
If you do not ever leave your house for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April and possibly some of May you will be fine. The seasons here are summer, winter winter and winter.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaye View Post
If you do not ever leave your house for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April and possibly some of May you will be fine. The seasons here are summer, winter winter and winter.
That is so not true. Good luck moving. SEEYA.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This is very true. You deal with 3-4 months of winter temps, but come spring, you get the awe and wonder of watching everything come back to life. Then you can laugh at all the ******* who cant take a little cold and moved to warmer states as you watch them have to suffer through hot springs, VERY HOT summers, and then hot falls as well. While we bask in beautiful 70s and 80s in summer (with a small handful of 90 degree temps), the rest of the country is roasting, sweating, and cursing under 90+ temps all summer long.

Go sit along I-55 in May and watch the endless Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Texas plates coming back for the summer. Its hilarious.

Well, I am lucky in that I got to stay in Florida and am renting a nice house (which is the same price as what my tiny studio in Chicago would have been) here now. I'm not missing that IL winter one bit! I am basking in gorgeous 70-80 degree weather now. The fall here in FL was gorgeous as well. The trees in the northern cities change colors, so we don't miss out on that, either. The only thing we "miss" is snow - and I don't think many Floridians are too heartbroken over that fact!!

I have been in FL for several summers and I would take the heat over the Midwest's bitterly cold winters ANYDAY, as would a lot of people. I have even been through a few Miami summers, and it really isn't that bad. The heat isn't as painful as the brutal cold, in my opinion. I would take shorts and flip flops over layers of thermal underwear in a heartbeat! I love the year-round greenery here; along with Illinois' cold, cold winters come gray, depressing skies. That just isn't for me.

I lived in northern IL for 14 years of my life, and there were many days in summer that were just as hot and humid as FL summers. Don't try to argue this point with me - I lived it and can easily make the comparison. My family still lives in IL and they complain about the humid summers, and now about the freezing rain that you are experiencing. I would never leave FL for IL in the summer, and am very grateful to be down here now.

Just my two cents on anyone wondering about IL winters/FL summers!

Last edited by gypsystar; 12-13-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 11:50 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
I hate hot.
I'm happy in my 15F temps.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I hate hot.
I'm happy in my 15F temps.
Well, you know, that is why there are different people. I don't do cold. I have cold-induced asthma and probably always have had; they just did not make these kinds of diagnoses back in the day. I have a hard time breathing when it gets below 40, so, I really try not to be outside when it is that cold.

Florida, in my opinion, is TOO hot. Now, that does not mean that I cannot tolerate it; given the choice, I could deal with it. And, the other thing that I don't like about Florida is that it never gets cold enough to kill the bugs & creepy-crawlies. Did not realize that was an issue until I lived close enough to there to experience it.

That is why I live in Charlotte. In fact, there are a lot of originally northerners-who-moved-to-FL- who-are-now-Charlotteans. They are jokingly called "halfbacks" because they moved really south and then moved halfway back. For those that are older, not the OTHER meaning of halfbacks!

Anyway, the humidity here is really tolerable, less than Chicago even and so the heat of the summer isn't that bad. One of the weather traits that we have is that it is rare that any form of extreme weather lasts for more than a few days. And, the nights in the summer are cool and the days in the winter are warm. So, there you have it. From a weather standpoint alone, Charlotte is perfect. Now, on other things...well, not so much!

Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
oh, and Steve, I could be a snowbird...not so much in quest of the Chicago summers (because they are really humid and thus pretty hot!) but in quest of things to do in weather that is tolerable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago