Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM

89 posts, read 267,871 times

Advertisements

When I was a junior in high school and applying to colleges I ended up applying to UIC and went to check it out and I hated it. I mainly hated it because the classrooms were too large. 500+ for most classes for your gen eds is what I heard and once I saw the size of the rooms I said no thanks. I did end up going to a state school and did have a few lectures but my biggest one was 300people i think and again that was only for a few major gen eds. I learn better in smaller classrooms so it was good for me to go somewhere else. So if you feel like having 50% of your classes in large classes isn't for you don't go to UIC. On the other hand I have a few friends who went to UIC and liked it, I haven't heard much bad about the school other then large classes. Also depending on what you're gonna be majoring in depends on if its a good school for you or not.
Also the area around UIC isnt the greatest in my opinion but isnt the worst, overall not bad-same goes for the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 AM

179 posts, read 480,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
We have been looking at West Loop over wicker park and buck town because of distance. We are still deciding if we want to or need to bring our cars with us which is also the basis for our decision where we decide to live. We also looked at River North but Im thinking it may be too far and more expensive. We can spend up to 1800 a month on rent. We need a 1 bedroom but ideally we would like to spend less than that. I have heard mixed thoughts about west loops night life and convience. I welcome more opinions.
A bag of moxed answers for your questions:
Having a car in Chicago is a pretty expensive hobby, so I would vote against it. Especially cars in plural.
Don't think too much about distance. Distance is not neccessarily proportional to travel time and I personally would rank living in a hood I like much higher than 10 mins more or less on the daily commute.
When I first lived in Streeterville I had to make a 10 to 15 min treck to the red and then switched to the blue line. With all the waiting and walking it took me longer than the trip from Lakeview, even though it was almost twice as far from Lakeview.
I'd definitely choose Wicker Park over West or South Loop.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Something to consider is, you won't find the same level of campus life you would at say a traditional public state university. Many of the students are day-commuters from the city and suburbs (although this has really begun to change over the last 10 years, as more and more choose to live on campus/downtown). It just depends what you're looking for. Its an urban campus, and far from the prettiest in that regard, especially in winter (lots of concrete). On the other hand, you'll be living in Chicago and will have the entire city and its amenities at your disposal. You'll have the ability to network locally and have access to a large job market after college should you decide to stay (assuming the economys still not in the crapper).

Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Thank you for your answers. I am begining to understand that distance isnt always a factor for the amount of time it will take but I guess I will learn that first hand. I was under the impression it was best to have at least one car if you lived in Wicker Park.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Thank you for your answers. I am begining to understand that distance isnt always a factor for the amount of time it will take but I guess I will learn that first hand. I was under the impression it was best to have at least one car if you lived in Wicker Park.
WP is one of the more walkable neighborhoods in Chicago, so you can definitely get by without a car. However, it can be convenient to have a car around for those occasional trips that aren't easily done via public transit (grocery shopping, big box stores on Elston). If leaving your cars means selling them, then I'd say do that, and sign up with Zipcar for those minor trips. But if you planned on just leaving them in TX for a few years while you're in Chicago, might as well bring one of them up here.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM

yeah we are planning on selling them but my husband is having a hard time of accepting life without his truck. I know it will be a big adjustment for both of us but I went to College in Austin which is also very walkable and I not only adapted but I enjoyed it for the most part although I never had to tread through snow and wind.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Chicago is very truck un-friendly, and street parking a trcuk would be very difficult. If you keep a car, just have a small, old car like a Corolla that you don't mind dinging up or rusting out.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

yeah we realize that. We are sooo not bringing his truck lol
I just wish we could decide on a nieghborhood. I have gone back and forth. At one point I thought River North would be good. Than West loop and now Im just confused. lol
Someone suggested lincoln Park but I think the commute would be far and not sure it is a right fit for us. Not too sure about wicker park either- It reminds me of Austin, Texas and while it has its charm Im just not sure.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 74,041 times
Well thank you to all that contributed!

It seems that theres some very mixed opinions on the school so I guess my decision will ultimately be left up to my impression after taking the drive out there to check it out for myself. It's gonna be a long drive from southeastern PA, but I definetly want to see the place for myself before enrolling.

If I decide to attend UIC I will be staying in their dorms, so from what I gathered from everyones posts that area is generally not too bad.

Also I too plan on attending for Engineering, Civil Engineering to be exact, so if anyone has some more detailed info on the quality of UIC's engineering program i'd greatly appreciate it.

--Nate

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

I would like to know too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago