Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,526 times

Advertisements

watch the video in the link

Did Chicago cop go too far in removing man from bus? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1437279,chicago-cop-youtube-video-beating-bus-021809.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
When a cop tells you to get off the bus, you really have only two options:

1) Get off the bus; or
2) Get a nightstick up your ass.

I don't really see an issue here. The guy resisted arrest which required the use of force to affect the arrest, and IMO the degree of force was not out of line for the situation.

Oh, and whoever captioned that video is a toolbox.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:22 PM

well what about him asking the guy on the bus "do you want to fight me" did you hear that?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 PM

308 posts, read 757,688 times
What is going to happen to him or what do I think should happen to him?

When it comes to the police, I think that a lot of them think they're above the law, like to think that they're better than other citizens, etc. However, when they are on the job, you have to look at a few things. First off, they deal with a lot of idiots each and every day. Secondly, they deal with a lot of idiots that are likely carrying concealed weapons or would not think twice about starting trouble.

This man was told several times what to do and did not comply with any of them. What was the next course of action actually? Should he have gotten down on his knees and begged him to go? This guy was possible intoxicated and who knows what he would have done?

I am by no means saying that I condone everything that the police do. I think that, unfortunately, there are more good cops than bad. But like it or not, it's a pretty tough job and everybody just likes to blame the easy guy.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM

ill play devils advocate, wasnt he supposed to wait for back up to arrive before he was going to do anything though?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
well what about him asking the guy on the bus "do you want to fight me" did you hear that?
What about it?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
ill play devils advocate, wasnt he supposed to wait for back up to arrive before he was going to do anything though?
Would you feel better if the stewbum had gotten a tune-up from two cops instead of one?

Strictly speaking, yes, this guy probably didn't follow procedure. But that still doesn't constitute a violation of this guy's civil rights like the whiners who put that video together are claiming.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What about it?
he is a cop he shouldnt be asking a dude if he wants to fight him... and the situtation didnt call for him to do that

if the guy told the cop do you wanna fight the cop would called for back up or used his night stick or taser on him...its kind of unfair

Old 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM

179 posts, read 480,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
This man was told several times what to do and did not comply with any of them. What was the next course of action actually? Should he have gotten down on his knees and begged him to go? This guy was possible intoxicated and who knows what he would have done?
Obviously there is no question that this guy had to be removed from the bus. However I don't see that punching and cursing are acceptable ways to reach that.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
he is a cop he shouldnt be asking a dude if he wants to fight him... and the situtation didnt call for him to do that

if the guy told the cop do you wanna fight the cop would called for back up or used his night stick or taser on him...its kind of unfair
Uh, I don't think the cop was challenging him to a round of fisticuffs. The implication was "don't fight me because you're not going to win."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago