Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 AM

297 posts, read 842,010 times

Advertisements

A little background…I grew up in Chicago (Auburn-Gresham) but my family moved to Minneapolis when I was 15. I hate Mpls. With a passion. I should have left for college when I had the chance! However, I now have two kids and making sure they were able to see dad regularly kept me here. Now, he’s moved to Phoenix, I still hate Mpls, and no longer have motivation to stay.

I’ve been a suburbanite for the past decade and want to move to the city. I’m going to be going to UIC, finishing up a degree. So I’m thinking Hyde Park. I NEED a diverse area, for many years, my kids have been the only black kids in class, on sports teams, etc. I want them around a more diverse group! Not “all” black, but truly a mix of people.

How are the elementary schools in the area? Middle school? One kid will be entering 5th grade, the other 7th grade. Other neighborhood suggestions that are close to UIC, diverse, with decent schools?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
How about Oak Park?
You may remember it as the suburb immediately west of Chicago. Oak Park and Evanston are our two suburbs that have a very urban feel. More importantly, you could send your children to the public schools (something I couldn't recommend in most cases in Chicago) and you can be at UIC in 5 minutes on the El. I know many UIC students that live in Oak Park and the schools are diverse but much safer than most in Chicago (unless you can spring for private).

Good luck with your move.

p.s. I did want to clarify that you are going to UIC and not U of C. Only since your posting mentioned Hyde Park. Hyde Park is a great diverse neighborhood, however, I am not sure about the public schools in Hyde Park so I will leave that up to others on the board.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Right, UIC. I was JUST reading some information on Oak Park.

Thanks for responding! Hopefully others will weigh in.

(ETA: I will not be able to afford private school in the near future!)

Last edited by 2blessed2stress; 02-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
How about Oak Park?
You may remember it as the suburb immediately west of Chicago. Oak Park and Evanston are our two suburbs that have a very urban feel. More importantly, you could send your children to the public schools (something I couldn't recommend in most cases in Chicago) and you can be at UIC in 5 minutes on the El.
Well, it's not 5 minutes... It'd be 15 or so from Oak Park to up by the med center, then another 15 or so to either switch to the Pink Line or a bus (or walk, briskly) down to UIC.

Oak Park is a good choice, though, I think.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM

I've been reading many threads this morning and am already wondering if I'm going to be biting off more than I can chew, LOL! In my current neighborhood, the kids sometimes leave their bikes out for days with no problems, I've gone off to work and forgotten to close the garage door (which leads directly into our house btw) with no problems. I mean, I know Chicago is NOT Minnetonka but it sounds like I'll have to make some serious adjustments!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
I've been reading many threads this morning and am already wondering if I'm going to be biting off more than I can chew, LOL! In my current neighborhood, the kids sometimes leave their bikes out for days with no problems, I've gone off to work and forgotten to close the garage door (which leads directly into our house btw) with no problems. I mean, I know Chicago is NOT Minnetonka but it sounds like I'll have to make some serious adjustments!
Um. Yeah. You want to be a little more careful here.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
I'd also suggest OP for diversity, good schools, and relatively close to UIC. Its definitely more "urban" than your location in MN. Bicycles tend to "escape" from open garages around here. If you want that same level of "security", you'd probably have to go quite a bit further away from the city (and I'm not even sure out there its a good idea to leave your garage open.)
Hyde Park has some "decent" public K-8 schools, but its significantly further from UIC than Oak Park, and real estate is pricier.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM

Thanks Sukwoo! Ok, I must have been confused about the distance of Hyde park to UIC...is HP closer to U of C???

Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Thanks Sukwoo! Ok, I must have been confused about the distance of Hyde park to UIC...is HP closer to U of C???
U of C is in Hyde Park.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM

Ah-ha! Oops. I will do some digging into Oak Park. Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: