Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
If you want to be close to the city try Bridgeport. It is relatively safe.

The safest areas on the south side IMO are on the far south side. Beverly and Pullman being the best of those. Hyde Park is also relatively safe but I would be careful of street crime related to the university.

Ooops, forgot Mt Greenwood on the south west side. This is a great neighborhood but I'm not sure if it is well serviced by the trains.
Have to take the 103rd st. bus to catch a train in Beverly, I reckon. Or 111th. I wouldn't think think one moves to Mt. Greenwood for easy and quick city access. I was just there to do some business, and was amazed at the amount of Irish flags proudly displayed. Not that this has anything to do with transportation, it's just crazy how prominent it is down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
Have to take the 103rd st. bus to catch a train in Beverly, I reckon. Or 111th. I wouldn't think think one moves to Mt. Greenwood for easy and quick city access. I was just there to do some business, and was amazed at the amount of Irish flags proudly displayed. Not that this has anything to do with transportation, it's just crazy how prominent it is down there.
It is probably more visible now that St Patty's is a week away. Morgan Park and Beverly go all out too for the impending parade.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 PM

42 posts, read 230,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
Wher do you plan to work? Whats your price range? What are your people prefrences White, black, Hispanic, asian?
Some good places would be Archer Heights, and West Eldson their both near the orange line and a large amout of bus lines, plus they are very safe and have many affordable places to rent.
I'm looking for a black area really. But the prince range I'm looking for is between $600-700.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
There aren't any super-safe all black areas on the south side that I'm aware of. If you're single and male thought they're are many that are good enough. If I wanted to be near all black people and spend that amount on a one bedroom I would go to South Shore, along the lake, and not too far south. If I wanted to be near the L I would look for a small rental in Bronzeville near the green line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneylova View Post
I'm looking for a black area really. But the prince range I'm looking for is between $600-700.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a black area really.

Move to Mt. Greenwood and tell them your name is Lynott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENy7MQIYJs

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-10-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-10-2009, 01:35 PM

42 posts, read 230,821 times
South Shore is one of the few places I heard of, and I hear it was way bad?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
South Shore is one of the few places I heard of, and I hear it was way bad?
Yeah it is sticky. I would recommend Bronzeville over South Shore if you are looking for a black area. Bronzeville is not without it's issues though. There is crime there, some violent, but as a single, black man you probably would not have any issues.

The pluses for Bronzeville are its location in relation to downtown and its history. Many famous black Americans grew up there and it played a pretty pivotal role in the civil right movement locally: Douglas, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kenwood and Hyde Park are both black areas that are safer than Bronzeville but also more expensive.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM

161 posts, read 389,180 times
Quote:
The safest Black neighborhoods with your budget that i know of are: Avlon Park, Burnside, Deering and Calumet Heights. But you sholud slways do your own homework on where you want to move into.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM

72 posts, read 167,501 times
A lot of the areas that people have thus far listed are pretty isolated. If you want an area with lots of blacks that's well connected to the rest of the city, go for Hyde Park or if you want to be a "pioneer" (sorry to anyone who may have cringed when I said that), get a place in Bronzeville. The area around MLK and 47th St. is nice, though it is a bit of an acquired taste. The crime rate in Bronzeville is much lower than one coming to the area for the first time may expect. But, in my opinion the only real advantage of Bronzeville over Hyde Park is its access to public transportation (and perhaps superior access to good soul food). There are SIX CTA stops in Bronzeville!

Hyde Park is much more diverse than Bronzeville, and has a beautiful park on the lake. Proximity to U of C is a mixed bag. You can get access to their library and there are intra-neighborhood CTA busses primarily used by students. These busses are usually pretty bad, but they can be useful on occasion. If you are a driver, be careful in Hyde Park. There are spaced out students walking into the middle of the street without looking and riding bikes around with their headphones on (!). The Midway and Washington Park are known for the old smash and grab, so don't leave your bag in your car, and Drexel Boulevard seems to be the site of a lot of car jackings. I don't know how this compares to other neighborhoods.

In Hyde Park, there are two types of people. On one hand you have some spoiled student types and should have been Lincoln Parkers who are "too scared to walk to the grocery store," and then the others who know that those people haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about. I have lived in Hyde Park for 5 years and have never personally experienced any crime.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:25 PM

161 posts, read 389,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiqued View Post
A lot of the areas that people have thus far listed are pretty isolated. If you want an area with lots of blacks that's well connected to the rest of the city, go for Hyde Park or if you want to be a "pioneer" (sorry to anyone who may have cringed when I said that), get a place in Bronzeville. The area around MLK and 47th St. is nice, though it is a bit of an acquired taste. The crime rate in Bronzeville is much lower than one coming to the area for the first time may expect. But, in my opinion the only real advantage of Bronzeville over Hyde Park is its access to public transportation (and perhaps superior access to good soul food). There are SIX CTA stops in Bronzeville!

Hyde Park is much more diverse than Bronzeville, and has a beautiful park on the lake. Proximity to U of C is a mixed bag. You can get access to their library and there are intra-neighborhood CTA busses primarily used by students. These busses are usually pretty bad, but they can be useful on occasion. If you are a driver, be careful in Hyde Park. There are spaced out students walking into the middle of the street without looking and riding bikes around with their headphones on (!). The Midway and Washington Park are known for the old smash and grab, so don't leave your bag in your car, and Drexel Boulevard seems to be the site of a lot of car jackings. I don't know how this compares to other neighborhoods.

In Hyde Park, there are two types of people. On one hand you have some spoiled student types and should have been Lincoln Parkers who are "too scared to walk to the grocery store," and then the others who know that those people haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about. I have lived in Hyde Park for 5 years and have never personally experienced any crime.
Yea but are there any appartments in that area which cost between 600-700 for rent? I took price into consideration but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago