U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,195 posts, read 4,226,563 times
Reputation: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
"Slashed" sounds like a more accurate description than "stabbed."

That minor point aside, I was just telling a friend of mine last week that they hardly ever actually physically intervene in things and act more like a visible deterrence, so this was pretty surprising.

I'm glad they weren't injured to the point of having their health gravely threatened. I did a long report on the organization when I was in college 17 years ago. I hadn't noticed them in a while, but noticed a lot more after the stories about mob action last summer. While I generally have negative opinions of vigilantism, I'm much more ambivalent about the Guardians and actually made a $100 donation to them this morning after reading that story.
well, you know the press has to go the sensationalistic route!

very astute observations, I noticed the same - I think I did read that after the some of the incidents in Lake View last summer that the Guardian Angels were opening a small office in the rough vicinity.

and good on ya for donating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Chicago
35,926 posts, read 55,214,824 times
Reputation: 24543
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
"Slashed" sounds like a more accurate description than "stabbed."

That minor point aside, I was just telling a friend of mine last week that they hardly ever actually physically intervene in things and act more like a visible deterrence, so this was pretty surprising.

I'm glad they weren't injured to the point of having their health gravely threatened. I did a long report on the organization when I was in college 17 years ago. I hadn't noticed them in a while, but noticed a lot more after the stories about mob action last summer. While I generally have negative opinions of vigilantism, I'm much more ambivalent about the Guardians and actually made a $100 donation to them this morning after reading that story.
Let's also be clear about what vigilantism is. Intervening in a crime in progress, or even being a visible deterrent, is within a citizen's right, albeit it at their own risk. Carrying out punishment as a substitute for the justice/legal system addressing the offense, that's vigilantism and something citizens do not have a right to do. And of course the GA's don't do anything like that, at least not officially (and I presume not "unofficially" either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,195 posts, read 4,226,563 times
Reputation: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And of course the GA's don't do anything like that, at least not officially (and I presume not "unofficially" either).
I'd imagine over the years the organization has attracted more than a few hotheads just looking for an excuse to start some fights, nothing the chapter can do except boot 'em out if that happens I suppose (I'm guessing their resources to do background checks and psychological evaluations are slim).

The Chicago GAs seem to be always portrayed in very flattering terms by the media, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
3,107 posts, read 2,875,527 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let's also be clear about what vigilantism is. Intervening in a crime in progress, or even being a visible deterrent, is within a citizen's right, albeit it at their own risk. Carrying out punishment as a substitute for the justice/legal system addressing the offense, that's vigilantism and something citizens do not have a right to do. And of course the GA's don't do anything like that, at least not officially (and I presume not "unofficially" either).
They have, in the past, closer to the time of their founding, done some things that were at least in the gray area around vigilantism. They were also much more controversial when they were founded in New York (at least partly due to Curtis Sliwa's not-quite-PR-approved approach to the press). These days, and particular the Chicago chapter, they are much more clearly like a neighborhood watch group than vigilantes, but there have been times in the past when that hasn't been as obvious.

Last edited by emathias; 05-16-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
 
1,870 posts, read 2,066,251 times
Reputation: 833
I do not approve of vigilantes but I do like the idea of the GA. With stuff going down like it is in town it seems like there is a place for them. Of course we should not need them. If there were more beat cops and a police presence on the CTA we would not need them. I recall years ago when I took the L there seemed to be more of a CTA presence on the train. While they were not cops, they would try to help if there was a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top