Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times

Advertisements

Relax, there's never more than a couple tornadoes per week. And we've all been hit by lightning a few times up here. You just get used to it, it's no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
I know this sounds crazy but I am more scared of thunder storms than I am of tornados

Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
The first time you get struck by lightning is by far the worst.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
The first time you get struck by lightning is by far the worst.
Yeah I know. Once I get struck I will be so over it. I just need to man up and stand outside in the storm with an antenna.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times

YouTube - Tornadic storm in Chicago- AMAZING lightning- August 4, 2008

^^^
That was seriously one of the most intense storms I've ever seen. There were were 90,000 thunderbolts hitting northern Illinois, and at the storm’s peak, it was detonating 800 bolts per minute. In six months’ worth of time, we usually don’t have that much lightning.

"There was no precedent for this. In every way imaginable, that storm last night was in its own league.”
-Tom Skilling

Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post

^^^
That was seriously one of the most intense storms I've ever seen. There were were 90,000 thunderbolts hitting northern Illinois, and at the storm’s peak, it was detonating 800 bolts per minute. In six months’ worth of time, we usually don’t have that much lightning.
Thank you for sharing
Storms are actually really pretty I just wish I wasn't so scared of them so I could enjoy them

Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 AM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Big bad storms are just a part of living in the Midwest. I've yet to experience anything in Chicago like I've experienced in KC or mid Missouri but I've only been here for about a year and a half.

Once in Missouri we had hail that made me feel like we were in an artillery attack. People's windows were smashed apart, my car was beat up pretty good (while I was in it too!!!), and our patio furniture was completely obliterated. When I was living in KC it was like we appreciated it when a storm was particularly strong. You learn to appreciate it, I suppose. Just remember, it is more dangerous to drive your car on a beautiful sunny day than to sit in your home during a wild storm.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,643 times
we had one of the WORST storms I've ever seen pass through Chicago last August. I was in class when it went through. It turned day to night (NO JOKE) the wind was so fierce I thought every tree was going to snap in half, there was hail, strobe light lightning and thunder and TONS of tornado warnings.......... (I think there actually were a few funnels sighted)

It's not uncommon to get really violent storms from time to time in Chicago. I use to be scared of them too......... not really that scared anymore..............

OH and we had an earthquake last year around this time too

Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post

^^^

"There was no precedent for this. In every way imaginable, that storm last night was in its own league.”
-Tom Skilling

THIS IS THE STORM I JUST MENTIONED!!!!!!!!! in the 12 years I've lived here I've never seen one this violent! It was CRAZY!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
THIS IS THE STORM I JUST MENTIONED!!!!!!!!! in the 12 years I've lived here I've never seen one this violent! It was CRAZY!
Hehe that was my birthday.
I had gone out the night before and i was still hung over cowering in the little hallway in my apartment once Tom Skilling went all "the tornado is heading toward Rogers Park and Lakeview" or something. i don't know. it was a fantastic birthday!

ETA: and i'm pretty sure the earthquake was caused by the fact that someone i know actually spawned and the child was born the day before that, or something. nevermind, that's a crazy inside joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago