Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 10,684 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on moving from a suburb to Ukrainian village so I can take the western metra stop up to deerfield for a new job. I will be walking to Grand and Western about two to three times a week for work and want to stay within about a mile and a half of that intersection. I worked with a guy who's brother was killed in Homboldt park and have heard nothing good about that part of the city. How far away should I stay from it? East of western? East of California? What streets do I want to stay between? My job requires me to carry several pieces of technology and I want to stay as safe as possible when walking back in the evening.

Last edited by linicx; 02-11-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,068 times
so you are moving to the city to go back to the suburbs..lol

but anyway the general rule of thumb is stay east of western

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Well I just graduated and am living with my parents in a west burb (OPRF) for the next two months or so until I get situated with my job. Northern suburbs seem like a boring place to live unless you are married and whatnot. I have always wanted to live in Chicago.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
If you're only doing the commute two or three times a week it won't be too grueling. But that kind of reverse commuting does get old fast so I'd try to find a short term lease or month-to-month in case your job requires you to pick up more hours. I certainly wouldn't want a 1.5-2 hour commute daily.

I would agree with the previous poster to stay east of western, especially since you'll be south of division. however, directly west of western near the metra the area of humboldt park by smith park is fairly quiet and relatively safe. that would be a good area to check for a quick walk to the station. you'll be thanking yourself in the winter months.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
I think you should live in Lakeview or something and take the bus to the Metra. I do not think you know enough about the city if you do not know where Humboldt Park is.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
If you're only doing the commute two or three times a week it won't be too grueling. But that kind of reverse commuting does get old fast so I'd try to find a short term lease or month-to-month in case your job requires you to pick up more hours. I certainly wouldn't want a 1.5-2 hour commute daily.

I would agree with the previous poster to stay east of western, especially since you'll be south of division. however, directly west of western near the metra the area of humboldt park by smith park is fairly quiet and relatively safe. that would be a good area to check for a quick walk to the station. you'll be thanking yourself in the winter months.
Good call with Smith Park looks like a nice area, just checked out a couple of nice looking apartments on craigslist. I shouldn't have to worry about picking up extra hours, I get to work from home and will probably be working more than 40 as it is.

2 hour round trip commute doesn't seem all that uncommon. Even when I was doing a regular commute into the city on the green line it would take me about 15 minutes to walk to the end of the green line, 35 minutes to get to clark/lake, and 7 minutes to walk to my building. Thats pretty close to two hours round trip.

Thanks for the input

Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think you should live in Lakeview or something and take the bus to the Metra. I do not think you know enough about the city if you do not know where Humboldt Park is.
Are you kidding? Where did I ever indicate I didn't know where Humboldt park is? My question is based on knowing where Humboldt park is. What I don't know is the proximity one would want to live to it. I have grown up in River Forest and my house is exactly 1 mile from both the green and blue line. I take both into the city frequently to visit friends and hang out in Chicago. I know the city as a whole pretty well.

Troll much?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfish View Post
Are you kidding? Where did I ever indicate I didn't know where Humboldt park is? My question is based on knowing where Humboldt park is. What I don't know is the proximity one would want to live to it. I have grown up in River Forest and my house is exactly 1 mile from both the green and blue line. I take both into the city frequently to visit friends and hang out in Chicago. I know the city as a whole pretty well.

Troll much?
[obnoxious girl voice]I live in a rich, leafy suburb and I'm mad people answer me when I ask how close I should live to the hood.[/obnoxious girl voice]

Old 05-25-2009, 12:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfish View Post
... I take both into the city frequently to visit friends and hang out in Chicago. I know the city as a whole pretty well...
Well if that is the case you would not have to ask here. Furthermore, why not just ask your friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago