Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
Off Topic, but if no one has ever walked from Halsted to Sheffield down Belmont around 2AM on Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday is missing out on the most hysterical gathering of trannies and other interesting people. Seriously. I feel very "Plain Jane" walking down the street at that time.

Lol, this reminds me of San Jose, Costa Rica. We used to play a game where we would drive through the city after dark and guess whether the prostitutes were men or women. It was hard to tell sometimes, but the ugly ones were usually women.

Avengerfire, thanks for the advice.

As far as taking my son, he's 4. I am not worried about traumatizing him, besides I want him to have an open mind about different lifestyles. For him, it will be fun to see people in pretty costumes, dancing and having fun. He won't get the sexuality part yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Lol, this reminds me of San Jose, Costa Rica. We used to play a game where we would drive through the city after dark and guess whether the prostitutes were men or women. It was hard to tell sometimes, but the ugly ones were usually women.

As far as taking my son, he's 4. I am not worried about traumatizing him, besides I want him to have an open mind about different lifestyles. For him, it will be fun to see people in pretty costumes, dancing and having fun. He won't get the sexuality part yet.

Haha, that is a very sad, yet accurate truth. If the hooker is ridiculously pretty, it's a dude.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:

Well that's very open minded of you, Costa I wish more parents were like you.

Although I can picture what this would do to your kid "I told the teacher, sex isn't between a man and a woman who love each other very much. It's between a large hairy man in leather chaps and an even hairier Bette Midler."

We used to drive around Halsted and... and the more I actually wrote of that sentence, the more I realized how far from legality this lawyer really was.

Last edited by coldwine; 06-17-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Well that's very open minded of you, Costa I wish more parents were like you.
Well, thanks! I'm a liberal kind of mom. One of his best friends has two mommies.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Well, thanks! I'm a liberal kind of mom. One of his best friends has two mommies.
Is he looking for a third? Grrrrrowl.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Is he looking for a third? Grrrrrowl.
Baby take me out for a pony ride with you
and then later on
I will get your name tattoo'd
hey baby
Ooh la la la la
so sweet,
hey baby, ooh honey, hey sugar,
I mean, seriously!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM

281 posts, read 928,608 times
My experience is the Chicago gay parade is a bigger, better and superiorly organized event than the San Francisco parade. The CTA does an excellent job of increasing trains and rerouting buses to get people in and out (or completely around it for those who wish to do so). Ashland is kept wide open to get downtown quickly. The details are well publicized; check out CTA's website.

Don't even think about driving your automobile in the area that day. If you have it parked on the street, move it (it will be towed). If you rent a garage space, leave it there.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 PM

^^^ In general, Boystown is the ideal gay community. The Castro is simply crappy and the Village is the place you can go if you want to see either drug users dancing on corner or the exorbitantly wealthy taking up space. Boystown is like the perfect example of young, social gay culture-- fun, flirty, clean and chic.

Oh, how I miss it

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 PM

281 posts, read 928,608 times
You're right about that. I originally come from SF, and I think Chicago is superior in all areas, including gay life. By the time I left, the Castro simply depressed me. The class war mentality gets very old very fast. What I love about Boystown is it is not a ghetto. There are a lot of straight people and families and businesses and everyone gets along just fine.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Smile I see

I must say that the Chicago Police does a great job of separating the demonstrators and the people enjoying the parade. They do an excellent job of keeping both groups of people safe. I think that Chicago Police just do well overall at every gay pride parade.

Last edited by deechee; 06-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago