Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 PM

65 posts, read 290,107 times

Advertisements

St therese Elementary School
Not well known due to its location in Chinatown, but listed as top 25 best private school by Chicago magazine.

Very impressive high school acceptance list.

Out of 23 students graduating last year, they were accepted into the following

St. Ignatius College Preparatory High School…..12 students
Whitney Young Magnet High School ……………..10 students
University of Chicago Laboratory High School…………1 student
Lincoln Park High School IB/Scholars…………………..14 students
Jones Magnet High School ……………………………....5 students
Walter Payton College Prep……………………………....1 student

Doesnt add up because each student had multiple acceptance. Don't know which high school they eventually picked. I just copied and pasted from website.

Last edited by bsbear; 09-22-2009 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Uhh 12+10+1+14+5+1= 43

Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Each student got multiple acceptance ...

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
What if more than one student got accepted to 2-4 schools?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What if more than one student got accepted to 2-4 schools?
Very likely, the student that was accepted into whitney was also accepted into ignatius and payton.

The data is not mutually exclusive as it adds up to over 23.

The point is find me another school where 12/23 graduating students got accepted into ignatius or where 10 /23 students could be accepted into whitney. Two of the top high schools in the city.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Almost certainly has a strong cultural bias -- the "cram school" mindset is pretty intense among those from an Asian background.

Not sure that would translate to those of other backgrounds...

Don't mean to diminish the accomplishments of the school/students, just pointing out that as far as the OP is concerned not sure how useful it would be to have such a school on their 'short list'...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
I'm an Iggy grad - definitely an excellent school, I'd go so far as to say it surpassed the quality of teaching I received at UIUC by a pretty significant amount. otoh, I did always feel like I missed something by not going to a public school, Iggy is a very sheltered environment. and not exactly indicative of the real world (which is often a good thing, of course).

Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Almost certainly has a strong cultural bias -- the "cram school" mindset is pretty intense among those from an Asian background.

Not sure that would translate to those of other backgrounds...

Don't mean to diminish the accomplishments of the school/students, just pointing out that as far as the OP is concerned not sure how useful it would be to have such a school on their 'short list'...
Im sorry, but your post struck a nerve.

Please tell me why the Op shouldn't put this school on their "short list"?

You think the school is successful becuase of "Cultural bias?" Could you please tell me the reason for why students at at ignatius, latin or parker are successfull? Is there a cultural bias or "cram school mentality" there too??

It seems like you are implying a successful school located in chinatown is a "cram school"; or If an asian student does well its because of their parents' "cram school" mindset. Could you define cram? Asian parents do not lock their kid in a dungeon and make them study. LIke most parents who have high achieving students, they make sure the child understands homework must be done before going on facebook or twittering. Why wouldn't a non asian be successful in this school? Look at MIT, Berkley, Stanford, Upenn and other top colleges, they have a disproportionate amount of asians. Even in my Chicago high school AP courses, almost half were asian. Non asians still did quite well.

Do you consider affluent parents at Ignatius or Latin who can afford home tutors, Kaplan, Princeton review courses, college admission advisors that charges thousands$$ to have this "cram school" mindset or are they considered loving caring parents? Do you then attempt to diminish these affluent students/ school accomplishment (yes i read that you "Don't mean to diminish the accomplishments")

The reason why any student/school does well are
1. parents care about their child's education
2. good teachers in a school with good "learning" environment
3 student works hard.
Simple but hard trifecta.
A good school is a good school. Leave the racial stuff out.

Last edited by bsbear; 09-23-2009 at 06:09 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Default Did I mess something?

I am also looking for elementary schools. I should have said I am not at all familiar with the parochial system in Chicago. Surely there is more htan one or two elementary schools in the area.

Thanks for the great information.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 AM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
Well, the areas near the loop ( West Loop, South Loop) weren't really residential areas <again> until relatively recently, so the parishes that served them had no need for opening schools ... Once one expands out a bit, there are more schools where the Archdiocese has chosen to keep them open . These would be areas of the city that have been continuously residential for the last 40 ro 50 years, plus had a strong Catholic demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago