Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM

65 posts, read 290,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
So if you live in the vicinity of one of these schools, can your kids go there automatically, or do they still have to apply and get it?
No guarantee. Selective enrollment high schools are very competitive as some of these schools are the best in the state.

Students will be screened before they can even take the admission test.
Students are then ranked based on test scores and grades + (new) socioeconomic factors.

As Attrill said , there are magnet/neighborhood high schools with good reputations like prosser, von steuben , Lincoln park.. etc that have great programs for advance students, but are not as competitive.

Last edited by bsbear; 11-25-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post

I've also talked to people who worked at neighborhood schools that have good things to say about Fenger,
I will have to disagree with you about Fenger. Half of the students are in academic warning. School is plagued by gang violence and students are afraid to go to school and want to transfer out. The heinous murder of Derrion Albert might change things, but currently the school is in disarray.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 PM

433 posts, read 1,930,435 times
I am asking these questions for a friend who is moving to Chicago. We used to live there (but not with school-aged kids) and I have no idea how she would find out the answers to her Qs. How do you know about which schools have a lot of violence? What is the web site that would compare public schools? How do you know if they are magnet schools or neighborhood schools? Is it just better to budget for a private school?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
How do you know about which schools have a lot of violence?
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

They provide demographics and will sometimes have parent reviews. I wouldn't used their rating system though since not many of the CPS schools rate over 5/10.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Hi there. Something else to consider is this, just because your kid gets into a Keller or Lennart for elementary doesn't mean they will get into one of the choice high schools. A friend of the family's daughter went to Keller, and did not get into any of the fancy shmancy "good" high schools. Ended up in a "specially created program" at Harlan of all places, one of those schools within a school things. It worked out for her, but that is something to think about.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 PM

So then if you don't get in, do people send their kids to private? I heard St. Ignatius is a good school but expensive.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi there. Something else to consider is this, just because your kid gets into a Keller or Lennart for elementary doesn't mean they will get into one of the choice high schools. A friend of the family's daughter went to Keller, and did not get into any of the fancy shmancy "good" high schools. Ended up in a "specially created program" at Harlan of all places, one of those schools within a school things. It worked out for her, but that is something to think about.
But you don't know that particular kid's circumstances. How were their grades? What kind of home life did they have? Did they want to attend a selective enrollment school? Keller is for the gifted, it is more than just a magnet school. Gifted is not just "I'm smart so I will always go to the best schools, look the best, live in the best neighborhood." etc.

Take a person's personal feelings and goals into consideration.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Thanks to the poster who put up greatschools.com.

Where can you find the state rankings for all IL public high schools? I have googled different phrases but can't seem to find a comprehensive list.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks to the poster who put up greatschools.com.

Where can you find the state rankings for all IL public high schools? I have googled different phrases but can't seem to find a comprehensive list.
2009 Illinois Report Cards Search:

Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The value of the data is not very good in the way presented by the SunTimes. I much prefer to rely on the high school evaluations published by US News and World Report or pull up indiviual info that relies on the weak Illinois tests at the Interactive site run by NIU

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Interactive Illinois Report Card
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago