Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,454,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Yep, North is the dividing line for LP....I believe the official boundries are:
Diversey (North)
Lake (East)
North (South)
Ashland (West)
The western boundaries change. On the south end Elston (the river) is the western boundary. I also think that the pocket of residences between Clybourn and Ashland around Wrightwood is Lincoln Park so the neighborhood expands west of Ashland in the northern part but this area is less desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,733,326 times
Quote:
Diversey (North)
Lake (East)
North (South)
Ashland (West)

Technically North is the dividing line. However, it appears to me, that it "extends" down to Division, where south of Division is more of the professional atmosphere. I lump the north part of Old Town with LP, and south part of Old Town with Gold Coast/Near North/Streeterville.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,454,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Technically North is the dividing line. However, it appears to me, that it "extends" down to Division, where south of Division is more of the professional atmosphere. I lump the north part of Old Town with LP, and south part of Old Town with Gold Coast/Near North/Streeterville.
Huh? So you basically make up your own neighborhood boundaries? I'm sure the residents appreciate you doing that for them.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM

269 posts, read 718,528 times
I lived in Lincoln Park for about roughly 8 years. The college-ish atmosphere became old and a bit tiresome as I got closer and closer to 30. I really wouldn't want to live in any of the choices here, too many tourists/shoppers in Streeterville & River North, too many frat boy types in LP. Although if I was still in my 20's I'd chose LP in a heartbeat. Check out West Loop, I moved here from Wicker Park and absolutely love it.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM

838 posts, read 3,100,966 times
This is the official definition of LP by the city:

It is bordered on the north by Diversey Parkway, on the west by the Chicago River, on the south by North Avenue, and on the east by Lake Michigan.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln...o#Neighborhood

Quote:
Diversey (North)
Lake (East)
North (South)
Ashland (West)

Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM

50 posts, read 132,913 times
Sounds like you could afford a small (think: Marina City) one-bedroom in River North, or a more reasonably sized one-bedroom in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. I've lived in a River North tower for 5 years and the transit access is excellent (you could probably walk to work.) Food shopping is amazing too: Jewel, Dominick's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods are all walkable options here. That said, sometimes I miss living in a less touristed neighborhood, somewhere with more trees and fewer out-of-towners clogging the restaurants and shops.

Beware where you look in Lincoln Park. The Fullerton bus does not go all the way to Clark Street, rendering the 'L' a good 15 minute walk from the eastern side of the neighborhood. You might want to also consider northern Lincoln Park or Lakeview, from Diversey northward, if you want a more reasonable walk to the L or access to express buses to get you downtown. Supermaket shopping is a bit easier in Lincoln Park, though (Big Apple Market, Lincoln Park Market, Dominick's by the Fullerton 'L'.)

Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Huh? So you basically make up your own neighborhood boundaries? I'm sure the residents appreciate you doing that for them.
Not talking about exact neighborhood boundaries here.

Talking about the difference between the feel of those neighborhoods. I am around there often. Anything in Old Town north of Division feels like Lincoln Park. I see the college type around bars there all the time and I have friends living up there.

South of Division is in fact more professional. I have friends there as well and am in many of those buildings and hangouts all the time. You can clearly see the difference in the types of crowds.

The OP is also young enough to possibly want something to do, but wants to stay away from the college type housing and amusements.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 AM

8 posts, read 43,156 times
First of all, thanks for the wonderful commentary.

So, based on what everyone has said.

That being said, does one get more for their money in perhaps the West Loop than say the River North area, and if so, is the West Loop a safe place? We drove through the West Loop and took a look at a loft there, although I must say, lofts look cool in pictures but seeing them in person kind of makes them looks their appeal. Are there a lot of high rises in West Loop, and if so, do you think we would be able to easily find a 2 bedroom w/ hardwood for 1600-1800-ish?

Another point someone from work mentioned to me was Lakeview. We did not check out this neighborhood, but he mentioned there are some really nice parts of Lakeview that have an LP feeling to it, without the LP keeping up with the Jones mentality that appears to be present there. Do you think this is the case? If so, what is the transportation like there? Shopping? Ect. Seems like LP would provide a 20 minute commute to the Loop, so I am assuming Lakeshore would provide a 30 minute commute.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,397,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowisthetimeforallgoodmen View Post
First of all, thanks for the wonderful commentary.

So, based on what everyone has said.

That being said, does one get more for their money in perhaps the West Loop than say the River North area, and if so, is the West Loop a safe place? We drove through the West Loop and took a look at a loft there, although I must say, lofts look cool in pictures but seeing them in person kind of makes them looks their appeal. Are there a lot of high rises in West Loop, and if so, do you think we would be able to easily find a 2 bedroom w/ hardwood for 1600-1800-ish?

Another point someone from work mentioned to me was Lakeview. We did not check out this neighborhood, but he mentioned there are some really nice parts of Lakeview that have an LP feeling to it, without the LP keeping up with the Jones mentality that appears to be present there. Do you think this is the case? If so, what is the transportation like there? Shopping? Ect. Seems like LP would provide a 20 minute commute to the Loop, so I am assuming Lakeshore would provide a 30 minute commute.
Here is the deal....most things you have heard about LP being all frat boys and such or snobby is a vast generalization, there are approx. 80,000 people living in LP so you will get all types. Lakeview, which is directly north of LP is pretty similar in housing stock (maybe slightly cheaper). The further north you venture the cheaper it will become.
Personally, I dislike Rivernorth/Streeter/West Loop, very sterile and touristy with lots of chain restaurants (sort of a generalization, but you get the idea). If living in a cookie cutter highrise is your thing, those areas may be for you, but if you are looking for a more unique housing situation, with plenty of eating/drinking options I would check out the Southport Corridor (near the Southport Brown line).

Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,507,326 times
Your might get more for dough in West Loop, but as you already noted a loft has a different sort of appeal in pictures than in person. Works for some folks, but for others it would mean dumping all their furniture for hipper stuff and even rethinking aspects of their life / storage (pretty much EVERYTHING is "on a stage" and that makes for some tough choices...)

The restaurants and such of the West Loop are different than those of LP or Lakeview too, being more 'event' oriented either high end or midrange, and a lot less "neighborhood". Diifferent focus, but not a negative as quality / uniqueness is certainly a nice thing.

The trade-off for "indoor space vs outdoor things to do" is also very much in play -- to get to the lake front from West Loop you have to go through the heart of the business district AND the tourist heavy Millenium Park / Museum Campus, far less pleasant than in neighborhoods to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: