Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There was recently a large house on the corner of Marine Drive and Hutchinson Street for sale... It's officially in Uptown, but is only steps from the border with Lake View. And then of course, you'd be my neighbor...
Here it is... It's only four bedrooms, but with 6100 SF to work with I'm sure you could carve another bedroom or two out somewhere. This guy had to leave the neighborhood because he was busted for poisoning neighborhood dogs who used the parkway in front of his house as a bathroom. This house is right on Marine Drive (basically the frontage road for Lake Shore Drive), and is only a short block away from the tunnel under the Drive to get to the Lakefront parks. Your view from the roof would be the lake beyond Waveland golf course. And Montrose Harbor.

4230 N Marine Drive, Chicago, IL, 60613 - MLS #07274718 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Kinda nuts...

Quote:
Here it is... It's only four bedrooms, but with 6100 SF to work with I'm sure you could carve another bedroom or two out somewhere. This guy had to leave the neighborhood because he was busted for poisoning neighborhood dogs who used the parkway in front of his house as a bathroom. This house is right on Marine Drive (basically the frontage road for Lake Shore Drive), and is only a short block away from the tunnel under the Drive to get to the Lakefront parks. Your view from the roof would be the lake beyond Waveland golf course. And Montrose Harbor.

4230 N Marine Drive, Chicago, IL, 60613 - MLS #07274718 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
Total room count is ONLY NINE!!! They are being very sly with the 6100 sq ft, that has to include every sq inch under the roof...It is only 4 bedrooms, and the rooms sizes hardly seem consistent with the visual impact the exterior makes. The lot is fairly large by City of Chicago standards, but the interiors are not impressive. Sorta like taking a middle of the road suburban home and "plopping" into the site. Not appealing. It will eventually find a buyer, but it will always be a tough sell. Now if the place was dripping with "period charm" (actual or re-created) or even one of those "traditional on the outside freakishly modern on the inside" redos it would have much broader appeal. Where is the media room? Where is the kitchen out of a dream magazine? $4M buys a lot of house even in pricey North Shore towns...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Total room count is ONLY NINE!!! They are being very sly with the 6100 sq ft, that has to include every sq inch under the roof...It is only 4 bedrooms, and the rooms sizes hardly seem consistent with the visual impact the exterior makes. The lot is fairly large by City of Chicago standards, but the interiors are not impressive. Sorta like taking a middle of the road suburban home and "plopping" into the site. Not appealing. It will eventually find a buyer, but it will always be a tough sell. Now if the place was dripping with "period charm" (actual or re-created) or even one of those "traditional on the outside freakishly modern on the inside" redos it would have much broader appeal. Where is the media room? Where is the kitchen out of a dream magazine? $4M buys a lot of house even in pricey North Shore towns...
It's been on the market for quite a while. The value of the land is boosting the price, since there are very few lots like this available in Chicago. You can't see from the pictures, but the house looks quite grand in its setting. Smaller houses on Hutchinson (not on the lake) have been selling for over $2 million. But I do imagine this house to sell for quite a bit less than asking.

I don't think the interiors are THAT bad. It's not my taste, but I could work with it.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,445 times
Quote:

Hey thanks for taking the time to research and post this. I do agree with one of the other posters it's not as impressive as I'd have it in the terms expressed, however I'm glad to see it. A house with a yard in Chicago... amazing. I could garden there...

Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
One of the homes on that site is very close to my own home in east Lakeview

Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Dude there are LOTS of houses with yards BIGGER than that, it is just that one is about close to Lake Michigan as is currently on the market (and still is NOT truly "lake frontage")...

If you want a garden you can find any number of homes that are a fraction the cost of that...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM

If you just want a nice large house with a yard in the city, move to Sauganash or Edgebrook. Much cheaper, but very low crime and well-kept homes.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
There are some SFHs on the riverfront in Ravenswood Manor with quite nicely sized yards. That neighborhood is lovely and safe as well.

Like this one: http://www.urbanrealestate.com/prope...Y4QB7UFY4.html

Last edited by surlycue; 03-02-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 AM

You know I would like to be able to walk to the shore easily in summer time... and have a yard for gardening... so not sure what my options are.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
There are some SFHs on the riverfront in Ravenswood Manor with quite nicely sized yards. That neighborhood is lovely and safe as well.

Like this one: 2703 W Agatite, Chicago, IL 60625 - Ravenswood
This is amazing, thanks for providing it. It is in nice proximity to the shore, not to far of a driving distance / biking. Lovely!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago