Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times

Advertisements

Actually I loved the green line a bit more than the blue. You walked downstairs to your destination as opposed to climb out of the expressway or subway. Don't know why but walking upstairs seemed less a problem the walking up/down that ramp.

As for which is safer, people mistakenly think that a run down area is major unsafe when it may only just be run down. Yes there is crime on the west side, but it is mostly gang related and there really is nothing stopping a pick pocket or other problem person from getting on/off anywhere. The blue line probably has more crime because it carries more people and may be a better target for it.

A ride on the green line shows Chicago's good, bad, and ugly. A ride on the Blue line hides the ugly by being in the middle of an expressway then going into a subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM

22 posts, read 113,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

A ride on the green line shows chicago's good, bad, and ugly. A ride on the Blue line hides the ugly by being in the middle of an expressway then going into a subway.
You may be right as my experiences with the green line are the southern leg, which could be totally different than the western leg.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
It also could be about who is riding. The western leg has some college students, downtown workers, yuppies going to oakpark and such. The southen route probably has a lack of yuppies and feels more empty(due to the even closer red line). Giving the impression that there are more thugs/gang bangers and such when to total number of such people is probably the same on both ends.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
A ride on the Blue line hides the ugly by being in the middle of an expressway then going into a subway.
Which is exactly why it feels safer. And it seems to have a more traveled public feel to it too out there in the middle of the Ike. Not that someone whizzing by in their climate-controlled car at 70 mph will be able to help you in an emergency...

Old 12-15-2010, 01:05 PM

67 posts, read 182,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah the blue line still passes through some bad areas but its faster and more crowded.
I actually find the Blue line Forest Park branch to be almost empty at times, and the Green line with more riders (my brother was mugged in broad daylight while riding with one other person in his train car on the Blue line Forest Park branch).

I've taken the Green line at all hours, and I've seen plenty of Oak Parkers disembarking the Green line past even midnight (albeit in groups). In the day it's pretty safe with all the commuters, and I'd say on weekends it's not too bad.

You can also catch the Oak Park Metra from Marion st. if you are uneasy with the Green line; it practically shares the Harlem Green line platform.

The stories you hear of the Green line primarily stem from it running through some rough south side neighborhoods. You can also ride in the first car where the conductor is located.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I take the blue line every night from work and have never had any problems. The biggest misconception is that you are safer on the northside el stations and that is not true. Use common sence and you should be fine regardless of who you are.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
What is going on here? I guess Oak Park is not as safe as people think.

"For the second time in five weeks, a man was pushed onto the tracks at the Marion Street Green Line L stop over the weekend."

"About 12:55 a.m. Sunday, a man from Chicago’s North Side was standing on the platform when another man approached him and asked for money. The man said he refused and turned away, only to be pushed from behind onto the tracks."

Second man pushed onto L tracks in Oak Park - Chicago Sun-Times

Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
What is going on here? I guess Oak Park is not as safe as people think.

"For the second time in five weeks, a man was pushed onto the tracks at the Marion Street Green Line L stop over the weekend."

"About 12:55 a.m. Sunday, a man from Chicago’s North Side was standing on the platform when another man approached him and asked for money. The man said he refused and turned away, only to be pushed from behind onto the tracks."

Second man pushed onto L tracks in Oak Park - Chicago Sun-Times
Do you have any sense of risk assessment whatsoever?

I can't believe you've spent your entire life in this city without crapping yourself at the very thought of walking out your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago