Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Bacon is a good thing?
Quote:
I hope there is one thing we can all agree on;

None of us are, or will ever be, God.

(I still think Bacon is good though)
When even a Christian and an atheist can agree on the divine attributes of bacon, therein lies the hope of bridging all the vast and great divides!

Take gentle bacon agreement care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Default Hey, Oakback:

Quote:

Awe man, you got my stomach making funny noises.

*sizzle*

Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1 View Post
As true Christians.........Everything!!!

But theres seems to be a competion on who is right/best/holy etc. ,
which is good.....as it shows the true identity of ones heart.
How is competition on who is right/best/holy etc. good? I mean I like competing and have nothing against it but in football that works. There is only one winner and one loser. But in religion, shouldn't the goal be to all be winners? What use is it then to be divided? Regarding culture, we don't tell the Japanese not to use chopsticks simply because we use a fork. That is how they do it. Some like to worship their God loudly and some not at all.

My point is that competition in religion on who is right/best/holy etc. can only end badly. Unity brings peace and harmony. Many people perceive that if there is peace then the end of the world is coming (sooner than now, I guess) but really isn't that the goal of religion? To make all people into morally sound citizens?

So I am curious as to what you mean by "which is good......as it shows the true identity of one's heart."

Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM

179 posts, read 289,695 times
To stay on the right path, not to follow a false teacher.

" for the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh" LK 6:45

It is a good thing not to be decivied. To many people rely on
what they are told by the preacher, not checking for themselves
the truth .

"The disciple is not above his master;but everyone who is perfect
shall be as his master" LK 6:40

You can only learn and know as much as your teacher/leader if
that is your only source of instuction. If they be closed minded
or in any way decietful, so shall you be.

Only YOU are responsible for your salvation, there will be no
excuses for being led astray.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
So, I'm confused.

Looking over many christian forums and over many threads on such forums I am convinced that christianity is a very confusing religion.

Christians seem to like to debate about everything. Literal vs figurative interpretations of the bible or passages in the bible. Heaven/Hell, what they are, who goes where and why. What a christian is and how one becomes a christian. What is means to be "saved", how to become "saved" and what is someone "saved" from. etc., etc., etc.

Is there anything that all Christians can agree on? Is there any ONE thing that makes you a christian no matter whether you believe in ET, UR or something in between?

I would really like to know.
I'd say, just by definition, the belief that Christ existed?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
I hope there is one thing we can all agree on;

None of us are, or will ever be, God.

(I still think Bacon is good though)
I agree on the bacon. Especially, Hormel Maple Bacon. Just thinkin' 'bout the smell in the air. Yea, baby!!

Oh, and we're not Jews, so the OT reference posted earlier is a bunch of hooey.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Hi Sunshineann,

Actually................some people who claim to be Christians also claim to be sinless. They are right here on this forum.

Yes i guess your right. This is why i don't claim the "label" I just want to be a child of God. I want to do right by Him. And i am a sinner every single day. Not that i try to be, but when i do or say something stupid, im like that is not what im suppose to have said, done etc.

as for Bacon...i like the peppered kind...yum

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I agree on the bacon. Especially, Hormel Maple Bacon. Just thinkin' 'bout the smell in the air. Yea, baby!!

Oh, and we're not Jews, so the OT reference posted earlier is a bunch of hooey.
Well, I'm half Jewish and I still love bacon! My father was Jewish and he LOVED bacon. Maybe he wasn't a very good Jew because of that... But he was a great father! (except when he would eat bacon in front of me when I was a vegetarian...)

I do find it interesting that the Christians on C-D don't agree on very many things. I don't think it's a good or a bad thing - just interesting. I'm not really that familiar with many aspects of Christianity and I still don't understand the differences in all the sects (please don't try to explain them to me - it makes my head hurt) - but I didn't realize there were so many huge differences in thinking within the one faith. It's really been an eye opener for me. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising - we all have our own minds, our own perceptions, our own personalities - it would make sense that we all interpret things differently. I always say that I can't believe that there are couples that don't fight with each other - even if I was married to myself, I would still fight with me! I fight with myself all the time!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, I'm half Jewish and I still love bacon! My father was Jewish and he LOVED bacon. Maybe he wasn't a very good Jew because of that... But he was a great father! (except when he would eat bacon in front of me when I was a vegetarian...)

I do find it interesting that the Christians on C-D don't agree on very many things. I don't think it's a good or a bad thing - just interesting. I'm not really that familiar with many aspects of Christianity and I still don't understand the differences in all the sects (please don't try to explain them to me - it makes my head hurt) - but I didn't realize there were so many huge differences in thinking within the one faith. It's really been an eye opener for me. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising - we all have our own minds, our own perceptions, our own personalities - it would make sense that we all interpret things differently. I always say that I can't believe that there are couples that don't fight with each other - even if I was married to myself, I would still fight with me! I fight with myself all the time!
Haha, I love that dewdrop!! I don't exactly fight with myself, but I do play devil's advocate at times. Try to get myself to explain to myself WHY I take a certain position. It gets exhausting at times when I won't be satisfied with a "that's just the way it is" type of answer, lol

I do sometimes get mad at God for making me start to think and research. It was quite easy just believing what the preachers and Bible School teachers told me what was the right way to believe, sigh.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

In my uninformed of all things Jewish mind, I'd say if your father (abba) was great. Then he was a great Jew.

God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity