Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,713,265 times

Advertisements

What spawns feelings of rebellion? Satan has been rebuked and rebuked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Pride and avarice...

Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 PM

530 posts, read 902,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Well bitterness, resentment, disappointment can be an open door.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:42 AM

478 posts, read 773,523 times
What is wrong with rebellion?! In general, I don't think rebellion comes from anything negative as a couple of you have implied; quite the contrary. Unless it's a teenager or someone who is not a responsible adult rebelling in a way that is unhealthy or dangerous (i.e. acting in promiscuity or dabbling in dangerous substances, etc.), rebellion is usually just a sign of someone simply questioning that which he has been taught, and going "against the grain", so to speak- which, in and of itself, is hardly a bad thing. Now the motives for doing so- that, to me, depends on whether said rebellion is a worthwhile thing or not. If someone just wants to be difficult or create disorder simply for the sake of causing attention- that's inane and won't do much to enlighten the person doing the "rebelling"- nor anyone else. And I wouldn't even call that rebellion, that's more like of a basic, contrived effort to offend! However, if someone is questioning that which he or she has been taught, and actively makes moves to deviate from his/her comfort zone in order to investigate avenues other than their norm be they of thought, creative expression or even simply an atypical code of dress- without worry of what others will think- then that's definitely a good, and healthy thing. Especially if their doing so inspires others to take notice- and, perhaps, even follow suit. In THEIR own individual way, of course.

I personally believe that the only people who take issue with such healthy and creative investigation (or "rebellion", if you will) and deviations from the "norm" are those who are fearful themselves of that which they do not know, as it forces them to face themselves and their own fears of the unknown/unfamiliar. But it shouldn't- if anything, we should all be INSPIRED by such people! Remember, some of the world's most amazing and brilliant leaders, inventors and artisans in history were considered "rebels" (and probably freaks, too!) in their time...anyway please, just remember that our world would be a really, really sad and sappy place to live if everyone conformed and kept within the parameters of that which they were taught...

Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
I think it is human nature -- i.e. "we are by nature children of wrath". Also, we are all hurt by feeling separated from the "whole" (GOD) or excluded from the group. It seems to me that rebellion mostly stems from feeling rejected and unaccepted or having a feeling that we are disapproved of by others. I believe that is why pure love has so much healing power - because when it shines into your heart it gives you courage - or it CURES RAGE. I think everyone just wants to feel secure and feel loved and feel satisfied.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think it is human nature -- i.e. "we are by nature children of wrath". Also, we are all hurt by feeling separated from the "whole" (GOD) or excluded from the group. It seems to me that rebellion mostly stems from feeling rejected and unaccepted or having a feeling that we are disapproved of by others. I believe that is why pure love has so much healing power - because when it shines into your heart it gives you courage - or it CURES RAGE. I think everyone just wants to feel secure and feel loved and feel satisfied.
Regarding the last line of your post, yes, I do agree- I think most people do in fact want to feel secure and loved- as well as satisfied. But why do you think that rebellion comes from a place of exclusion (from god or anywhere else), or rejection, rather than a place of comfort and security? Seems to me that those who ARE most comfortable, and secure within themselves and their lives are the people most likely to 'rebel, because there is no fear of rejection or disapproval when one has no reason to fear either. Why would there be when they are completely confident and comfortable with themselves, and anything they have mind to do?

It is not the 'rebels' who are most likely to lack the internal fortitude and the "pure love" you speak of, it is those who fear stepping outside the proverbial "box" and prefer to simply "follow the herd", so to speak...

Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
What is wrong with rebellion?! In general, I don't think rebellion comes from anything negative as a couple of you have implied; quite the contrary. Unless it's a teenager or someone who is not a responsible adult rebelling in a way that is unhealthy or dangerous (i.e. acting in promiscuity or dabbling in dangerous substances, etc.), rebellion is usually just a sign of someone simply questioning that which he has been taught, and going "against the grain", so to speak- which, in and of itself, is hardly a bad thing. Now the motives for doing so- that, to me, depends on whether said rebellion is a worthwhile thing or not. If someone just wants to be difficult or create disorder simply for the sake of causing attention- that's inane and won't do much to enlighten the person doing the "rebelling"- nor anyone else. And I wouldn't even call that rebellion, that's more like of a basic, contrived effort to offend! However, if someone is questioning that which he or she has been taught, and actively makes moves to deviate from his/her comfort zone in order to investigate avenues other than their norm be they of thought, creative expression or even simply an atypical code of dress- without worry of what others will think- then that's definitely a good, and healthy thing. Especially if their doing so inspires others to take notice- and, perhaps, even follow suit. In THEIR own individual way, of course.

I personally believe that the only people who take issue with such healthy and creative investigation (or "rebellion", if you will) and deviations from the "norm" are those who are fearful themselves of that which they do not know, as it forces them to face themselves and their own fears of the unknown/unfamiliar. But it shouldn't- if anything, we should all be INSPIRED by such people! Remember, some of the world's most amazing and brilliant leaders, inventors and artisans in history were considered "rebels" (and probably freaks, too!) in their time...anyway please, just remember that our world would be a really, really sad and sappy place to live if everyone conformed and kept within the parameters of that which they were taught...
I have to agree with this Helio.....rebellion sometimes can be a good thing. But since the OP didn't specify what it is he/she is wanting to rebel against, we have to talk in generalities here. I'm assuming it is something that they have been taught, and that's where I think questioning and "rebelling" can lead to good things if they are being taught incorrectly.

I recently "rebelled" against the belief of eternal torment, and it led me to the most wonderful and the CORRECT belief of Universalism. I really was rebelling against myself and what I had always been taught, and taught quite forcefully I might add. I did not rebel against God, I rebelled against man and ingrained teachings and brain-washing. That's a good thing!!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Rebellion is the same a witchcraft. which means that all ways that reject the Words of God and turn to the Spirit of this World for directions though the spirit of this world is witchcraft......So you must turn from this injustices and repent to the Lord God and let it go and plead the Blood of Jesus Christ to be free of these spirits that are bothering plus you can Use the authority of the Blood of Jesus Christ and Prayer Father I brake the curse that these spirit of this World have brought here in Jesus name ,,, Father I bind all demons bothering here in Jesus name. I take their power away and caste them down in Jesus Mighty name .. Father I bind the powers of darkness in Jesus name take their powers away and caste them down in Jesus name ... Father I loose the spiritual wickedness of high places bothering here bind them up in Jesus name and take their power away and caste them down in Jesus name I pray Glory to God ......This binding and loosening and casting down is the Word of God and all the Disiciples of Jesus were called to pray for others to build the anointing of the Authority of the Blood of Jesus in their lives as part of their prayer life in intersession to the Lord God

Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I have to agree with this Helio.....rebellion sometimes can be a good thing. But since the OP didn't specify what it is he/she is wanting to rebel against, we have to talk in generalities here. I'm assuming it is something that they have been taught, and that's where I think questioning and "rebelling" can lead to good things if they are being taught incorrectly.

I recently "rebelled" against the belief of eternal torment, and it led me to the most wonderful and the CORRECT belief of Universalism. I really was rebelling against myself and what I had always been taught, and taught quite forcefully I might add. I did not rebel against God, I rebelled against man and ingrained teachings and brain-washing. That's a good thing!!
Ilene, wow! That's a change I never would have imagined, not in a million years! I'm actually really glad to hear that. You broadened your scope and outlook, and took time and thought with your decision to delve into that which, at one time, was something you were vehemently against.

It goes to show that anyone, ANYONE who is open enough to thoughts and ideas that are different from anything they've known can grow, both spiritually and intellectually. And just on an aside- I am especially glad that you have changed your views to include a belief that is far more accepting and loving than the beliefs you once held. Just please do remember that with all due respect, Ilene, neither you, nor me, nor anyone is "correct" as you said; beliefs are beliefs, and we all have them, and we all believe that our own is the "best" or "right" one. For US. Remember when you were quite certain that you were "correct", not so long ago?!? And there may even come a time in the future where you learn even more about some other belief, and either change your current one- or just incorporate more into your current universalism, if that's truly "the" belief system for you, and it may very well be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Rebellion is the same a witchcraft. which means that all ways that reject the Words of God and turn to the Spirit of this World for directions though the spirit of this world is witchcraft......So you must turn from this injustices and repent to the Lord God and let it go and plead the Blood of Jesus Christ to be free of these spirits that are bothering plus you can Use the authority of the Blood of Jesus Christ and Prayer Father I brake the curse that these spirit of this World have brought here in Jesus name ,,, Father I bind all demons bothering here in Jesus name. I take their power away and caste them down in Jesus Mighty name .. Father I bind the powers of darkness in Jesus name take their powers away and caste them down in Jesus name ... Father I loose the spiritual wickedness of high places bothering here bind them up in Jesus name and take their power away and caste them down in Jesus name I pray Glory to God ......This binding and loosening and casting down is the Word of God and all the Disiciples of Jesus were called to pray for others to build the anointing of the Authority of the Blood of Jesus in their lives as part of their prayer life in intersession to the Lord God
Are you serious?! If anything is "witchcraft", it's your post. Which sounds exactly like a spell or curse. What the curse/spell might be for- I have no idea...if your words have any relevance of even the most remote kind to the subject at hand, or this century, then forgive me, but I cannot find it.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Regarding the last line of your post, yes, I do agree- I think most people do in fact want to feel secure and loved- as well as satisfied. But why do you think that rebellion comes from a place of exclusion (from god or anywhere else), or rejection, rather than a place of comfort and security? Seems to me that those who ARE most comfortable, and secure within themselves and their lives are the people most likely to 'rebel, because there is no fear of rejection or disapproval when one has no reason to fear either. Why would there be when they are completely confident and comfortable with themselves, and anything they have mind to do?

It is not the 'rebels' who are most likely to lack the internal fortitude and the "pure love" you speak of, it is those who fear stepping outside the proverbial "box" and prefer to simply "follow the herd", so to speak...
Good points, Helios. For example, I think the filthy rich who own our current oligarchy or 'cleptocracy'(if you will) are quite comfortable and are in rebellion against our Constitution and true democracy and human rights. I think that the predator capitalism we're living under is pretty damned rebellious against the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity