Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 AM

478 posts, read 773,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Good points, Helios. For example, I think the filthy rich who own our current oligarchy or 'cleptocracy'(if you will) are quite comfortable and are in rebellion against our Constitution and true democracy and human rights. I think that the predator capitalism we're living under is pretty damned rebellious against the people.
Heartsong, I think you might be taking a few too many liberties when using the word REBELLION; with regard to the first time you used it in your sentence, rebelling or being rebellious simply isn't what the elite are doing to our constitution. I think the word you might have meant to use is usurping, not rebelling. Try this: "the filthy rich who own our current oligarchy or 'cleptocracy'(if you will) are quite comfortable in usurping our Constitution". See? Now it makes sense. Now the other sentence- with all due respect, it's just too hard to find another word to replace the word rebellious, because you used it in front of a preposition, and as a means to infer a descriptive action- to an intangible "ism"- an impossibility which renders the entire sentence illogical. Though we can turn it around to make the word fit, how about this: I think that the predatory nature of capitalism that we're living under is something that people should be rebelling against. Voila!

So are we yet in agreement that rebellion is, generally speaking, a good thing, especially when it comes to rebelling against that which you mentioned (i.e. the political system as it stands and the associated "isms"?) Sounds like at least we agree that we are losing more and more rights on a daily basis, so I just hope someone comes along with more energy and time than I have to rebel like crazy against anything that has that potential to oppress us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Heartsong, I think you might be taking a few too many liberties when using the word REBELLION; with regard to the first time you used it in your sentence, rebelling or being rebellious simply isn't what the elite are doing to our constitution. I think the word you might have meant to use is usurping, not rebelling. Try this: "the filthy rich who own our current oligarchy or 'cleptocracy'(if you will) are quite comfortable in usurping our Constitution". See? Now it makes sense. Now the other sentence- with all due respect, it's just too hard to find another word to replace the word rebellious, because you used it in front of a preposition, and as a means to infer a descriptive action- to an intangible "ism"- an impossibility which renders the entire sentence illogical. Though we can turn it around to make the word fit, how about this: I think that the predatory nature of capitalism that we're living under is something that people should be rebelling against. Voila!

So are we yet in agreement that rebellion is, generally speaking, a good thing, especially when it comes to rebelling against that which you mentioned (i.e. the political system as it stands and the associated "isms"?) Sounds like at least we agree that we are losing more and more rights on a daily basis, so I just hope someone comes along with more energy and time than I have to rebel like crazy against anything that has that potential to oppress us!
Helios.... You remind me of a school teacher I once had... though I can't recall her name just now

Old 06-28-2010, 04:07 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Ilene, wow! That's a change I never would have imagined, not in a million years! I'm actually really glad to hear that. You broadened your scope and outlook, and took time and thought with your decision to delve into that which, at one time, was something you were vehemently against.

It goes to show that anyone, ANYONE who is open enough to thoughts and ideas that are different from anything they've known can grow, both spiritually and intellectually. And just on an aside- I am especially glad that you have changed your views to include a belief that is far more accepting and loving than the beliefs you once held. Just please do remember that with all due respect, Ilene, neither you, nor me, nor anyone is "correct" as you said; beliefs are beliefs, and we all have them, and we all believe that our own is the "best" or "right" one. For US. Remember when you were quite certain that you were "correct", not so long ago?!? And there may even come a time in the future where you learn even more about some other belief, and either change your current one- or just incorporate more into your current universalism, if that's truly "the" belief system for you, and it may very well be.
Yes, amazing isn't it? It was very hard to let go, even the slightest little bit. I fought it but one day it just hit me that I needed to open my mind and heart and just listen. I had serious doubts about ET anyway, but God was leading me to shut up and listen. So I did and I asked a lot of questions. As far as I was concerned, universalism could not answer all of them. But scripturally they did answer all of my questions and that's when I knew I had to delve into it deeper. I'm still on this journey and I'm a newbie but I'll get there.

And you're right.....I am no longer so certain I am 100% correct on everything like I was before, I just know that ET is not correct. I still have a lot of questions which I will get answered through scripture and time. But gone are the days of closed-mindedness and not listening. For me, anyway.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Insults and Logical disconnections!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Rebellion is the same a witchcraft. which means that all ways that reject the Words of God and turn to the Spirit of this World for directions though the spirit of this world is witchcraft.....
Why thanks. Another insult fired off at us scientists and atheists. Peace, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
I did not rebel against God, I rebelled against man and ingrained teachings and brain-washing.
Hmmm... "rebelled again man" and "ingrained teachings" and "brain-washing"... All based on the man-based ingrained Christian dogmatic paradigm.

Interesting convergence of thoughts and conclusions.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:54 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hmmm... "rebelled again man" and "ingrained teachings" and "brain-washing"... All based on the man-based ingrained Christian dogmatic paradigm.

Interesting convergence of thoughts and conclusions.
Well I suppose you could see things that way if you don't believe in God Rifleman, but I see the Bible as the Holy Word of that God you don't believe in and its incorrect interpretations and teachings by "men" is what I rebelled against. Makes sense to me. I now prefer to gain my own understanding.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
to build the anointing
Like one can conjure it up by their own volition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity