Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times

Advertisements

I contend that doom and gloom is the way of the world, the way of darkness, the anti-christic force which operates in both the secular and the religious realms of society. Meaninglessness, hopelessness, despair, eternal damnation - ALL these are the product of a shadow of death which seems to dominate the hearts and minds of billions.

Is there a solution? Do we propagate this darkness by putting our trust and faith in it's apparent omnipotence? Do we render a disservice to spiritual reality, our origins and our Creator by embracing the darkness as an inevitable reality which will continue to dominate us and wreak it's destruction indefinitely? Are we missing something? Have we bought into a lie?

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things". Phil. 4:8

For those sick of the bad news, sick of feeding on the pessimism which permeates the world system, I give you "The Good News Thread".

Now - I'm not talking about a "bury your head in the sand" thread, but a discussion about ultimate reality and solutions - ie: how do we manifest the Kingdom of God in the here and now.

Why are we encouraged to have "Unspeakable joy" in the midst of apparent chaos? What does it mean to "overcome the Kosmos"?

If some want to start - I'll jump in later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Okay - maybe I'm the wrong person to start considering I'm a Heatherist... But you have always been so kind and welcoming to me - and I always appreciate your wit and intelligence - so I figured I'd add my 2 cents. Personally, I think we have come such a long, long way! I think times are pretty gosh darn great right now - could they be better? Yes! Are things economically tough right now? Yes! BUT - I am the result of a mixed marriage - Japanese/Christain and White/Jewish. That couldn't have happened years and years ago. I would not have existed 200 years ago! I don't have an arranged marriage - I was able to pick my husband all by myself - and I love him so much! I'm not forced into a religion I don't believe in. I have free will - I can follow my own heart and my own mind. I will never get polio, the measles, the mumps, and a number of other diseases that we now have vaccines for. I have a toilet that flushes, clean water to drink, plenty of food to eat, and so many other things that make my life so much easier!
I'm surrounded by people who I love dearly. I'm lucky enough to LOVE my job (when I actually get hired to do it). I have the best dog in the whole world (sorry to all the other dogs out there - but it's true).
I'm happy that my friends turn to me when they are troubled - and I'm happy that I can usually help lift their spirits. I'm happy that my husband understands me and gives me so much emotional support. I'm happy that I have people that I can turn to. I'm happy that my mother is so wonderful - and that I will feel like I've acheived a great deal if I can be on tenth of the woman that she is.
In short - I'm pretty darn happy with this life that I am lucky enough to live. Is there trouble in the world? Yes. Does that upset me? Yes. Do I try to give money and time when I can? Yes. But all in all - I definitely see the glass as half full... well, actually - almost all the way full!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Hope you don't mind my prefacing my "good news" stuff with the following opinion:

This is just my view. If you don't agree, that's cool. Not trying to start a debate here. I see the world heading in two directions simultaneously. One is the path that is leading to life... the path of love. and the other is leading to utter and complete destruction.

The thing is... both paths... it's good news that they are what they are.
What will finally eventually end up in complete and total destruction is that which is devoid of LOVE in this world. Love conquers all. Non-love hasn't got a CHANCE. No matter how dim, or how dark this world becomes... in reality, it's inevitable... it's the path that non-love is on.
It's inevitable destruction.

The following is part of the stuff that is on that narrow road:

Just... LOVE reaching out to another in need:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/14979808-post114.html

A Father forgives his son's killer. POWERFUL. THIS is an example of LOVE conquering darkness. I truly see GOD in this man's heart. I love him:

YouTube - Father Forgives Son's Killer

To me, this is just a little glimpse of perhaps something to come. When animals no longer NEED to fear man. When "love your neighbor" rules supreme in the heart of ALL creation. This guy makes me smile:

YouTube - African Lions Accept Man As One of Their Own

Just something that always touches my heart, no matter how many times I've watched it. Makes me think of when our walls are finally torn down and we can all just love and trust each other as brothers and sisters:

YouTube - Free Hugs Campaign - Official Page (music by Sick Puppies.net )

Well I have lots and lots of these things that I've filed away in my heart, but just wanted to share a handful of them.
I think the main one is the father forgiving his son's killer.
THIS is HOW non-love is DESTROYED!
This is how love conquers all.
This is how the darkness has NO CHANCE.

The wide road is being OVERCOME by the NARROW road.

Peace,
sparrow

Last edited by .sparrow.; 07-13-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full . John 10 :10This is good news .

It's odd that Jesus said it's the thief that comes to destroy , and yet we are being told on here the bearer of Good news is the destroyer.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Okay - maybe I'm the wrong person to start considering I'm a Heatherist...
There's no such thing as wrong people to start here. Since we belong to the same family I am glad you are doing well! AISI compassion is the root cause of all good things. Of course as a theist I believe it comes from the Creator so I can glorify God's work in you even if you are a Heatherist!

One thing I've learned from Jesus' teachings is that fruit is all important. Acts of compassion come from a tree of agape love (that's Greek for a selfless/sacrificial type of compassion - the kind that Jesus demonstrated).

Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hope you don't mind my prefacing my "good news" stuff with the following opinion:

This is just my view. If you don't agree, that's cool. Not trying to start a debate here. I see the world heading in two directions simultaneously. One is the path that is leading to life... the path of love. and the other is leading to utter and complete destruction.

The thing is... both paths... it's good news that they are what they are.
What will finally eventually end up in complete and total destruction is that which is devoid of LOVE in this world. Love conquers all. Non-love hasn't got a CHANCE. No matter how dim, or how dark this world becomes... in reality, it's inevitable... it's the path that non-love is on.
It's inevitable destruction.

The following is part of the stuff that is on that narrow road:

Well I have lots and lots of these things that I've filed away in my heart, but just wanted to share a handful of them.
I think the main one is the father forgiving his son's killer.
THIS is HOW non-love is DESTROYED!
This is how love conquers all.
This is how the darkness has NO CHANCE.

The wide road is being OVERCOME by the NARROW road.

Peace,
sparrow
Excellent! Since you are my twin soul I must agree.

There was a story not too long ago where a man was locked up for 30 years or so for raping a young man but was then exonerated by DNA evidence. When asked if he was bitter at the system he said (basically) "No - everyone did their jobs, the boy, the prosecutors the DA, everyone. The man who did this must have looked like me and the boy thought it WAS me. What was he supposed to do - lie and and say he didn't think it was me? This is all just a sad sad mistake".

Frankly - I was shocked and amazed.

Last edited by firstborn888; 07-13-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full . John 10 :10This is good news .

It's odd that Jesus said it's the thief that comes to destroy , and yet we are being told on here the bearer of Good news is the destroyer.
"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Ps. 16:11

Somewhere the message got changed that this was meant for after we die? I found this fullness of joy while alone in my room!!!

I admit I had to pinch myself to make sure I was still here.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Excellent! Since you are my twin soul I must agree.
hee!

Quote:
There was a story not too long ago where a man was locked up for 30 years or so for raping a young man but was then exonerated by DNA evidence. When asked if he was bitter at the system he said (basically) "No - everyone did their jobs, the boy, the prosecutors the DA, everyone. The man who did this must have looked like me and the boy thought it WAS me. What was he supposed to do - lie and and say he didn't think it was me? This is all just a sad sad mistake".

Frankly - I was shocked and amazed.
I know the guy you're talking about. I remember that story. I was shocked, too!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Default "The Angels Announce Jesus to the Shepherds"

Quote:
I contend that doom and gloom is the way of the world, the way of darkness, the anti-christic force which operates in both the secular and the religious realms of society. Meaninglessness, hopelessness, despair, eternal damnation - ALL these are the product of a shadow of death which seems to dominate the hearts and minds of billions.

Is there a solution? Do we propagate this darkness by putting our trust and faith in it's apparent omnipotence? Do we render a disservice to spiritual reality, our origins and our Creator by embracing the darkness as an inevitable reality which will continue to dominate us and wreak it's destruction indefinitely? Are we missing something? Have we bought into a lie?

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things". Phil. 4:8

For those sick of the bad news, sick of feeding on the pessimism which permeates the world system, I give you "The Good News Thread".

Now - I'm not talking about a "bury your head in the sand" thread, but a discussion about ultimate reality and solutions - ie: how do we manifest the Kingdom of God in the here and now.

Why are we encouraged to have "Unspeakable joy" in the midst of apparent chaos? What does it mean to "overcome the Kosmos"?

If some want to start - I'll jump in later.
Luke 2:8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I BRING YOU GOOD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY, WHICH SHALL BE TO ALL PEOPLE.

11 FOR UNTO YOU IS BORN THIS DAY IN THE CITY OF DAVID A SAVIOUR, WHICH IS CHRIST THE LORD.

12 AND THIS SHALL BE A SIGN UNTO YOU; YE SHALL FIND THE BABE WRAPPED IN SWADDLING CLOTHES, LYING IN A MANGER.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST, AND ON EARTH PEACE, GOOD WILL TOWARD MEN.

Blessings...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST, AND ON EARTH PEACE, GOOD WILL TOWARD MEN.

Blessings...
On earth???!!! Really? But what about all the bad... oh... never mind!

"if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things".

I believe we become and we produce what we meditate on.

What say you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity