Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM

117 posts, read 344,722 times

Advertisements

Hope the title didn't offend you. Just didn't know how else to word it.

Anyway, I am not a "religious" person by any means but I do have my own ideals about how "proper christians" should behave.

I always felt that the idea of God is a "God of love". This would include peace, helping your fellow man, taking care of your family (whether financially or emotionally etc)

With this being stated it appears that states and cities in the "bible belt" have the highest rate of violent crime, teenage pregnancy, poverty etc.

Also, the least religious countries are the safest. I'm really trying to understand the correlation between the two.

Is my concept of christianity wrong? Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there a place in the "bible belt" where people actually live by their religion? (I'm talking mid-large size city as I'm sure there are small communities)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post

Anyway, I am not a "religious" person by any means but I do have my own ideals about how "proper christians" should behave.

I always felt that the idea of God is a "God of love". This would include peace, helping your fellow man, taking care of your family (whether financially or emotionally etc)

With this being stated it appears that states and cities in the "bible belt" have the highest rate of violent crime, teenage pregnancy, poverty etc.

Also, the least religious countries are the safest. I'm really trying to understand the correlation between the two.

Is my concept of christianity wrong? Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there a place in the "bible belt" where people actually live by their religion? (I'm talking mid-large size city as I'm sure there are small communities)
Being a believer is a personal choise, and the presence of Christians in a certain area does not mean everyone there is a believer. I do not believe the crimes in the bible-belt area is being committed by the Christians.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
You are right in your observation because Christianity has been quite skewed and marred by some very bad teachings and traditions that have taken away the virtues it is meant to impart. For example, it is not uncommon at all in the bible belt for Christians to be pitted against each other by denominations, political persuasions, race, sexual orientation, etc... very tribal in nature. It winds up looking similar to gangs going up against each other. There is great corruption in the churches because they are run like for-profit businesses in many cases while enjoying tax exempt status. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Why aren't the churches using that money to feed and house the poor among us? I know some are - but the many are not. The churches are quite rich in real estate value across America and they can raise as much money as they want and not pay one dime of that on income taxes. They are not accountable to anyone with those finances. Jesus would not approve!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Being a believer is a personal choise, and the presence of Christians in a certain area does not mean everyone there is a believer. I do not believe the crimes in the bible-belt area is being committed by the Christians.
As per this response it seems that you may have the same idea as I do in many ways but I have worked in the correctional setting (both adolescents and adults). When asked, the majority of inmates claim christian affiliation as their religion.

Statistics also show that the highest rate of teenage pregnancy is in the south (bible belt). Now, I'm not a "prude" that is against teenage pregnancy but not too many teenagers are IMO financially or emotionally secure enough to handle a child.

Statistics have also shown that the safest of countries is the least religious while the most dangerous (outside of the third world countries) are very religious. Same with the US states

Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You are right in your observation because Christianity has been quite skewed and marred by some very bad teachings and traditions that have taken away the virtues it is meant to impart. For example, it is not uncommon at all in the bible belt for Christians to be pitted against each other by denominations, political persuasions, race, sexual orientation, etc... very tribal in nature. It winds up looking similar to gangs going up against each other. There is great corruption in the churches because they are run like for-profit businesses in many cases while enjoying tax exempt status. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Why aren't the churches using that money to feed and house the poor among us? I know some are - but the many are not. The churches are quite rich in real estate value across America and they can raise as much money as they want and not pay one dime of that on income taxes. They are not accountable to anyone with those finances. Jesus would not approve!
So, high crime in bible-belt states can be explained by denominational disagreements between the churches????? It sounds like you take every opportunity to smear Christians. Why?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
As per this response it seems that you may have the same idea as I do in many ways but I have worked in the correctional setting (both adolescents and adults). When asked, the majority of inmates claim christian affiliation as their religion.
I am sure they do. When people are polled about their religion, just about every American identifies themselves as Christian. It does not mean they are believers though, because if the same people are asked if they are born again believers, many will say "no", if they even know what it means. Identifying oneself as a Christian is a cultural thing for many Americans. Same in Europe.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
I wss just reading something by Norman Grubb, who at one point was involved in missions to Africa. A quote that I believe addresses your question:

>>>Response to the Christian message in Central Africa, like the United States, appears to be quite large. But I soon found there was much more profession than possession. I began saying to myself, Are we bringing the Africans anything really worthwhile? Are we just bringing a code of ethics? Or a liturgy, or historic faith? Have we got something genuinely transforming to transmit to others?

Then I made the question personal, "Have I?" <<<

Biblically speaking, Christianity has to do with being "possessed" by the Spirit of God (who is Love), and that Spirit of Love living through them. Unfortunately, one can profess agreement with something without it actually taking hold of them.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:

Wakyco, if one beleives in God, and beleives God can and does evil (as most christians beleive) they see nothing wrong with doing evil also.

Ones view of God denotes one attitude.

Example: Hitler was a Luthern, and followed Luthers teachings.

Luther got to the point that he beleived that people who disagreed with his view of God should be cast out of the counrty and even put to death.

Hitler following Luthers advice did this exact thing to millions of Jews, thinking to do God a service.

Many atrocities are committed in the name of God, people killing people thinking they do God a service.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sure they do. When people are polled about their religion, just about every American identifies themselves as Christian. It does not mean they are believers though, because if the same people are asked if they are born again believers, many will say "no", if they even know what it means. Identifying oneself as a Christian is a cultural thing for many Americans. Same in Europe.
Many people polled who claim to be Christian will also admit that "organized religion" isn't important to them. I mean, I can say that I am a Christian yet, never or rarely ever go to church. It's the states in the South, where organized religion is important that have the highest violent crime rate.

Since I'm not religious and most of my friends are not religious one of the theories that we have is that the most religious are the one's that have the strongest belief that God is going to "save them" anyway so they can "sin like hell now". But if we live for the present instead of the future we know it's best to be compassionate towards our fellow human-being and to be able to know that we can both financially and emotionally support a child before we bring them into this world.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Example: Hitler was a Luthern, and followed Luthers teachings.
Well, as the saying goes: "Everyone is entitled to an opinion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity