Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Finn,if your idea of man's salvation is based on being invited to a wedding, I don't know what else to say.
Pray, and maybe one day you will understand the meaning of the story.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Well, I've been praying for over 20 years now. How much longer should I pray??

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Well, I've been praying for over 20 years now. How much longer should I pray??
You have been praying for 20 years to understand the wedding parable?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He does the choosing, but we still need to make the desicion to either accept or reject Him.

Surely you read the parable of the wedding? God sent the invitations out in several waves, first to Jews, and then to the gentiles, but the Jews refused to come, and some showed up without the wedding dress. Those who were invited and did not accept were left outside in the darkness where there was weeping and gnashing of teeth, and the ones without the dress were thrown into the darkness too.

It is a crystal clear example of God doing the inviting and letting people have the free will to either accept or reject the invitation.
NO, it's not a crystal clear example of God doing the inviting and letting people have the free will to accept or reject. It is an example of how God chooses who will come and how He already has determined (foreknowledge) who will attend and who won't. He knows ahead of time who is chosen and who is not. Fortunately, we are all chosen in the end.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 AM

Hi Finn,

I know that it's been said before, but I think it still remains a good point to consider:
if we are all "free" to "choose Christ," why do people die at different ages? A person who lives 100 years has much more "chance" than a young rebellious teen who dies before he is 20!

Any thoughts?

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-31-2010, 08:35 AM

139 posts, read 223,933 times
at the end of the day the only one who can give us the answer is god himself
our reasoning mind can never begin to comprehend what god has planned for each of us.

i guess If we spent as much time seeking god as we do trying to reason with our minds..things may be so much more clear to us.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howgreatthouart View Post
our reasoning mind can never begin to comprehend what god has planned for each of us.

i guess If we spent as much time seeking god as we do trying to reason with our minds..things may be so much more clear to us.

The two go hand in hand.
Why would they not?
God gave us a mind for a reason.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 AM

139 posts, read 223,933 times
gods wisdom goes way beyond our reasoning mind, his truth does not need our minds to reason against it or to prove that its right.
Our Carnal/worldy minds are filled with Worldy wisdom/knowledge which is very corrupt.. gods wisdom is eternal, our 'wisdom' is nothing.
I dont mean to offend anyone... i am jsut adding my experience
his truth needs nothing added to it..nothing taken away from it.. the more we try to figure it out... the more confused we seem to get
When we be still and wait on him.. he will show us all things, and there will be no doubts to what he is telling us.
if we all follow Jesus who is the way instead of trying to lead eachother.... we wont ever get lost.
bless.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howgreatthouart View Post

Yes. But if things were as "simple" as some declare, then the questions would have "obvious" answers, I think!
But the reality does not match the doctrine. As I observed, people die at all ages. So the idea that "everybody is free to choose Christ" is false. God does not give everyone the same number of years. Period. So He must have a different plan, since we don't all habe the "same opportunity."

or am I wrong?

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
NO, it's not a crystal clear example of God doing the inviting and letting people have the free will to accept or reject. It is an example of how God chooses who will come and how He already has determined (foreknowledge) who will attend and who won't. He knows ahead of time who is chosen and who is not. Fortunately, we are all chosen in the end.
Oh, so he invites people he knows will reject the invitation?? Why would he waste his time? And some who accept it, he will throw out because they were fake? No, that would not make any sense whatsoever. Sorry, but no cigar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity