Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,427,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
My goodness, now who is the one playing with words? That's not what it says - but my reading must be the corrupted one? Verse 2 is clearly about the resurrection.

I can not deal with your crazyness. Verse 3 is analogous - '...like the stars forever and ever.'

You must serve a 'very-long-time-who-comes-to-an-end God.' The psamlist could not have been more forceful for the pre-existence (erternality) of God than this in Ps.90:2.
Read it out of a literal translation

`And the multitude of those sleeping in the dust of the ground do awake, some to life age-during, and some to reproaches -- to abhorrence age-during.

Olam is not what gives the force to an eternal God

FROM olam TO olam is what gives it the force

God simply SPANDS all olams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,947,005 times
That must have been some really good weed the OP'er was smokin...you can always tell who's been out late on Saturday night...LOL

Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Read it out of a literal translation

`And the multitude of those sleeping in the dust of the ground do awake, some to life age-during, and some to reproaches -- to abhorrence age-during.

Olam is not what gives the force to an eternal God

FROM olam TO olam is what gives it the force

God simply SPANDS all olams.
If you say so?. I already said that context has its nuances and yes God spans all periods of time (verse1) but what 'time period' was before the creation (verse 2)? This is the 'period' that the psalmist is refering to when he says 'from....'

If God is eternal then God spans eternity - the period from before creation to any period in the future no matter how far. He is God from that period to that period. The Psalmist point is that God is eternal because he spans all periods even the one before creation ever existed unto whatever period is in the future - hello.

Now, you still have not dealt with Dan. and the nuance of Ps.90:2, whatever your take, does not necessitate an equivilence. My goodness.

Go sell crazy somewhere else.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,427,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
If you say so?. I already said that context has its nuances and yes God spans all periods of time (verse1) but what 'time period' was before the creation (verse 2)? This is the 'period' that the psalmist is refering to when he says 'from....'

If God is eternal then God spans eternity - the period from before creation to any period in the future no matter how far. He is God from that period to that period. The Psalmist point is that God is eternal because he spans all periods even the one before creation ever existed unto whatever period is in the future - hello.

Now, you still have not dealt with Dan. and the nuance of Ps.90:2, whatever your take, does not necessitate an equivilence. My goodness.

Go sell crazy some where else.

I have dealt with them Shiloh, but what you want is for eternity to mean olam, I have showed you that olam does not mean eternity and it is clearly seen in that God is FROM olam TO olam.

When you can get your head around that then you will see olam only deals with an age.

And yes the Psalmist point is that God is eternal and that is why it he say FROM olam TO olam, what he does NOT say is God is olam, which is what you want it to say.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
That must have been some really good weed the OP'er was smokin...you can always tell who's been out late on Saturday night...LOL
Or......maybe a good BOOK they were reading!! "Hmmm" Trust me, there's no better high the the Most High God!! Want some?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Or......maybe a good BOOK they were reading!! "Hmmm" Trust me, there's no better high the the Most High God!! Want some?
I don't think our good buddy is readin' books on Saturday night...nope, not Sciota.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I have dealt with them Shiloh, but what you want is for eternity to mean olam, I have showed you that olam does not mean eternity and it is clearly seen in that God is FROM olam TO olam.

When you can get your head around that then you will see olam only deals with an age.

And yes the Psalmist point is that God is eternal and that is why it he say FROM olam TO olam, what he does NOT say is God is olam, which is what you want it to say.
So there is no eternal life? - Dan.12:2

God's strength is not eternal? - Is.26:4 - the Lord is tempory strength? and

God is not eternal - Is.40:28. "The olam God... the Creator of the ends of the earth' [1] - what does that mean the limted period God - the God of a only a certain period (which contradicts your previous point that he spans all periods)?

What you fail to realize is that olam may mean a limited period of time and it may not depending on the context - there is not one meaning - you cannot overlay one meaning in one verse upon another verse.

Olam is used to infer and imply eternality is certain contexts.

[1] Note from NET Bible: Heb “the ends of the earth,” but this is a merism, where the earth’s extremities stand for its entirety, i.e., the extremities and everything in between them.

See Ps.90:2 again.

I suggest you take some linguistic classes - it will help.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Good grief...sciota posted this at 7am. He may not have even gone to bed...I think he's been up all night !

Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,657,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Good grief...sciota posted this at 7am. He may not have even gone to bed...I think he's been up all night !
Yeah, whatever it takes to try and disprove UR. Ain't happening.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You said: "because they have been corrected by us on this issue time and time again".

And that's the problem right there...... it is not the us (man) that does the correcting, it's the HOLY SPIRIT!! You know, someone asked on another thread: "Why would God then send them a delusion'....for the very same reason seen here time and time again, for they knew not the opposite was the truth!! That their claim to salvation was IN REALITY A CLAIM TO ETERNAL RUIN!! Why would an all loving God send anyone to Hell? He doesn't! Their delusion.... there isn't one according to UR! All will be saved.

But wait!! Why would all loving God send anybody a delusion? Why would God, the holder of ALL TRUTH, who wants us to KNOW ALL TRUTH, turn right around and say he will pick our delusion?

I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not. (Isaiah 66:4)

Friend, DECEPTION IS A REVERSAL OF THE REALITY!! The person caught up in a deception is UTTERLY UNAWARE OF IT. He/she usually will not EVEN CONSIDER AN OPPOSING POINT OF VIEW, which is one of the CLUES they are in deception. Deception is SPIRITUAL BLINDNESS, and the Bible claims that SPIRITUAL BLINDNESS COMES FROM DISOBEDIENCE TO THE WORD OF GOD, or A REFUSAL OF THE WORD OF GOD!! Again, you cannot bypass the SON and go straight to the throne!! Still an "all loving God" to you? Yes, He is, but He is also HOLY!! H-O-L-Y!!

There is an order of things in the spiritual my friend, go and learn what this mean. Guidance to you.......may God open up your spiritual eyes.
Betsey
Betsey they have been corrected by us on what we believe and not what you believe.

I'm not talking about who is right or wrong , what sciota and others are doing is bearing false witness about what we believe , i am not sure if you have or haven't.

It's funny you should bring up not considering opposing points of view , have you not been reading the testimony's of those believe in UR , most of us not only considered ET , but fell for it and believed it hook ,line and sinker for years. So really you need to be preaching that one to yourself.

Last edited by pcamps; 08-01-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity